Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2021, 03:51 PM

11 posts, read 9,071 times

Advertisements

I've subscribed to the Chronicle for many years, and despite its steady decline and leftward leanings, I still enjoy the daily news and articles. My delivery has become very problematic though, with frequent missed papers (4 of the last 10 days have been received only after calling; 2 other days were never received). To top it off, they charged me an extra $6 in November, apparently for a special T'giving edition--I never received even the normal paper for that day. :-)

I can read the paper on-line through my Chronicle subscription, but assume its also available for free through HCPL. I have a valid HCPL library card and I poked around their site, but it seems really clunky to get to an archived image of the daily paper on an external, unsecured link. I think the Libby app might work, but that's not available for Windows. The helpful librarians at the Clear Lake branch thought I should just come in each day to read their copy and were surprised I was able to find it at all thru their website. Any suggestions?

Last edited by maxq; 12-04-2021 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Typos :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 07:40 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Default Unsolicited junk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxq View Post
I've subscribed to the Chronicle for many years, and despite its steady decline and leftward leanings, I still enjoy the daily news and articles. My delivery has become very problematic though, with frequent missed papers (4 of the last 10 days have been received only after calling; 2 other days were never received). To top it off, they charged me an extra $6 in November, apparently for a special T'giving edition--I never received even the normal paper for that day. :-)

I can read the paper on-line through my Chronicle subscription, but assume its also available for free through HCPL. I have a valid HCPL library card and I poked around their site, but it seems really clunky to get to an archived image of the daily paper on an external, unsecured link. I think the Libby app might work, but that's not available for Windows. The helpful librarians at the Clear Lake branch thought I should just come in each day to read their copy and were surprised I was able to find it at all thru their website. Any suggestions?

I get some variant of the Chronicle delivered to my house, without my consent, or request. It is just trash and that is where it goes immediately. I hate having to even go outside and pick it up. I've tried calling them to stop delivering it, I even contemplated being outside when the delivery guy throws it in my yard, but I'm too lazy to get up that early!

Old 12-05-2021, 07:40 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,493,031 times
I am in the same boat,not getting my WSJ,so I ask them to mail me a copy instead,sometimes I get it in my mail box in the afternoon ,or next day.
It is a waste of time for me to call and ask for day credit .
I think this is a local delivery problem,I see Walgreen and Kroger do not have a problem,if you want to pay $4 for a copy.
BTW,if you have a HOuston library card,you can stream movies at Panopy,we are allowed 7 movies per month free,they have some good movies

Old 12-05-2021, 07:43 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
I switched recently from paper delivery to online only (Chronicle). My cost went from $50/month, to about $10. And after a few days, I got used to reading it online.

I actually download it as a PDF (subscriber benefit only), and read it that way. Much better than trying to read it online.

I still get the WSJ delivered daily.

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2021, 03:12 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I switched recently from paper delivery to online only (Chronicle). My cost went from $50/month, to about $10. And after a few days, I got used to reading it online.

I actually download it as a PDF (subscriber benefit only), and read it that way. Much better than trying to read it online.

I still get the WSJ delivered daily.

Good luck!
We stopped it when the price went up to nearly 800 a year. We got online. A couple months later we got an ad for less than 1/4 of that for new subscribers. So the other of us subscribed. WE have no trouble with delivery. May be that 25 bucks we send to the delivery person in a Christmas card every year for the past 20 years.

Does your Chronicle guy also delivery the WSJ and Financial times?

Old 12-05-2021, 03:58 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We stopped it when the price went up to nearly 800 a year. We got online. A couple months later we got an ad for less than 1/4 of that for new subscribers. So the other of us subscribed. WE have no trouble with delivery. May be that 25 bucks we send to the delivery person in a Christmas card every year for the past 20 years.

Does your Chronicle guy also delivery the WSJ and Financial times?
I have no idea if they were the same or not. I only get the WSJ paper now, the Chronicle is 100% online. I never have a delivery problem with the WSJ, although in all fairness, I rarely had one with the Chronicle either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: