Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,390 times

Advertisements

I live in San Antonio (born and raised here) but it looks like my husband may be getting a job transfer to Houston. We are going to Houston this weekend to look around at different communities and I'm hoping to narrow down our choices by soliciting advice here. We are Jewish but have ruled out the traditionally Jewish area of Meyerland because we prefer a newer house and a neighborhood with more modern amenities. Also we would like to purchase a home for under $300,000 that we hopefully don't have to do too much with to make it 'liveable.' There is a synagogue in Missouri City with a preschool so we'd like to stay in that vicinity if possible. We have three children (11, 8 and 3), so schools are extremely important (my middle child is in a Gifted and Talented program at her school so I'd really like to find a school system that has a good GT program). Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Also, all of my children are asthmatic--is the air quality in Houston going to have a big impact on them?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 01:03 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
The first places I'd start looking in Missouri City are Sienna Plantation and Riverstone. Both are attractive master planned communities. I think Riverstone straddles Missouri City and Sugar Land.

I don't know about their G&T programs but someone else here will probably know.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:55 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,588 times
Like Topaz mentioned. Riverstone is excellent. Also look for homes in First Colony (older). FBISD schools have really excellent GT programs. Clements & Austin HS and their feeder schools are really good. I am sure when Telfair builds out, they will have Good HS too. Make sure you bring the GT credentials and have you kids tested early!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 AM

152 posts, read 537,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
Like Topaz mentioned. Riverstone is excellent. Also look for homes in First Colony (older). FBISD schools have really excellent GT programs. Clements & Austin HS and their feeder schools are really good. I am sure when Telfair builds out, they will have Good HS too. Make sure you bring the GT credentials and have you kids tested early!
Hello icon7,
how likely is the Telfair HS going to be built? I was told that it's been proposed, but so far there's no positive decision yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston