Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 04:01 PM

501 posts, read 303,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I hope yours works out well in the end, and you don't find that they have added on a lot of additional charges not discussed on the phone after you drive there.
The price is on the doc I signed/initialed with the salesman (over the 'net) with "Out of the Door" price clearly marked...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtxg View Post
Negotiating isn't much of a thing in the car business right now, at least for new vehicles. You don't like the price? They'll have it sold in no time - or if nothing else, they'll have something to help make the lot look like they have vehicles. Me personally, I can't imagine wasting 3 hours negotiating a car deal.
Here's a funny thing. I am sitting at this dealership today. As I said, I hate the whole procedure. I already called the other guy who gave me an X out of the door price but he still needed to check some things, I didn't sign anything, so I try this dealer, it's close to home. These guys, on same exact model etc., start at X+4K. I say no. They say X+3K. X+2K. I say listen, I have the X price from someone. But because you guys are nearby, convenience, etc. I am willing to go X+500. They say X+1200. I finally say X+700 (cuz it is a round #). They stick to theirs. I really wanted to just leave but you know how it is, it seems rude to do so. So after another 15 min, they don't come down to X+700, I say thank you very much, I leave.

So since the other guy *could* do X (I wound up paying more, because he found me a '22, not '21, and better model with the features I wanted), that (to me) means that they could have easily gone down to X+700. But they just wouldn't do it.

Old 01-10-2022, 05:51 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
A little similar happened to me last year
At first, I stayed out of the negotiation, my wife wanted to low ball them and it wasn’t getting anywhere

I jumped in: “I’ll pay the price that it shows online in your page, if you charge me $1200 for cleaning and … something else, I’m not buying it”
They came back: “ok, you can have it for X + $400”

I had to accept it, I spent too much time researching and looking for that truck to walk away because of $400

Old 01-11-2022, 06:20 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,583,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
From Katy to Jersey Village.
LoL , not to be a dick. But that's cute.

Glad you found what you wanted. Rumor has it the car market may not let off until mid to late 2023.
So avoid buying in 2022 if at all possible.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:12 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,519,758 times
Do dealers not have internet sales managers any more? The last two cars I bought (5-10 years ago) I just did an inventory search on the dealer web sites to find the car with the options I wanted, then e-mailed the internet sales manager to get the out the door price. Agreed on the price, went down, purchased it. Pretty good experiences.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
LoL , not to be a dick. But that's cute.

Glad you found what you wanted. Rumor has it the car market may not let off until mid to late 2023.
So avoid buying in 2022 if at all possible.
I know, it is pretty close Anyway - I did look further afield, but the inventory in the boonies is basically zero.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:54 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,583,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
I know, it is pretty close Anyway - I did look further afield, but the inventory in the boonies is basically zero.
Don't doubt it.
With crazy car prices, inflation, and continued chip shortages the demand for cheaper/commuter cars will be stretched.

I was looking at an F150 and man the prices are up there. I need my 10K off rebate/discount

Old 01-11-2022, 08:38 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
I'm a huge car enthusiast and would love to upgrade, but the whole car buying experience sucks even in the best of times. I can't imagine needing to buy a car now. Thankfully my wife and I only drive 5k miles/year and take meticulous care of our vehicles, so we can get another 5+ years out of them if needed.

Eventually the supply and price situation will sort itself out. Everyone who is paying 5k over sticker b/c they MUST have a car now will be out of the market for the next 3+ years. The chip shortage will pass, supply will ramp back up, and buyers will once again have room to negotiate.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:01 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Do dealers not have internet sales managers any more? The last two cars I bought (5-10 years ago) I just did an inventory search on the dealer web sites to find the car with the options I wanted, then e-mailed the internet sales manager to get the out the door price. Agreed on the price, went down, purchased it. Pretty good experiences.
Thats the way I always do it. I refuse to walk in unless I get confirmed numbers both pre TTL and OTD firm. Of course the numbers will vary based on market and incentives. If I don't like the numbers, we both save our time.

If I needed to buy in these crazy times, I'd email every dealer in sight and work Costco in parallel. I'd refuse to pay above MSRP, even in these crazy times.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Thats the way I always do it. I refuse to walk in unless I get confirmed numbers both pre TTL and OTD firm. Of course the numbers will vary based on market and incentives. If I don't like the numbers, we both save our time.

If I needed to buy in these crazy times, I'd email every dealer in sight and work Costco in parallel. I'd refuse to pay above MSRP, even in these crazy times.
1. Costco doesn't do Toyota around Houston
2. Several dealerships (well almost all) refused to name price over the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston