Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 09:46 AM

2,556 posts, read 4,065,218 times

Advertisements

There is definitely crime around UH but there are also historical neighborhoods, and arts communities like Project Row Houses. It's reductive to call it all ghetto. And I think in the past few years Khator has done a lot to improve the adjacent neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 10:12 AM

5,849 posts, read 6,213,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brom View Post
Just to confirm my OP, number of courses don't have bearing on GPA because all scores are averaged?
Since my kid hasn't started HS yet, I'm not sure the answer to your question, but I did find this blurb in the Grade Point Average and Class Rank section of my district's catalog, which may help:

The semester grade is used to determine the number of grade points awarded for each course when calculating the student's grade point average. Grade points earned in courses taken in grades 9-12 are used to determine rank in the graduating class.
The following WILL NOT be calculated in the GPA:
ï‚· courses taken prior to grade nine
ï‚· correspondence courses
ï‚· credit by examination
ï‚· summer school courses
ï‚· online courses taken outside of the regular school day
ï‚· dual credit, with the exception of Clear Horizons Early College High School students
ï‚· credit recovery
ï‚· credits from non-accredited schools
ï‚· alternative Physical Education credits
ï‚· any other means beyond the regular school day.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:24 AM

2,889 posts, read 2,200,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brom View Post
Just to confirm my OP, number of courses don't have bearing on GPA because all scores are averaged?
If anything a heavier course load will hurt the GPA.
Like we already told you in an earlier thread to get into a good engineering school in Texas you'll need a much higher ranking than top 10%. UT Austin is now top 6% to get in by auto admit and the cutoff for engineering is even higher.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:36 AM

18,149 posts, read 25,359,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Since my kid hasn't started HS yet, I'm not sure the answer to your question, but I did find this blurb in the Grade Point Average and Class Rank section of my district's catalog, which may help:
In my opinion ... the best advice is to try to figure out what career path your kid will likely enjoy
whether is engineering, computer science, medicine, accounting, on and on.
IF ... you are able to do that, you can identify classes that your kid will enjoy and will be useful for when he/she goes to college.
And is more likely to get good grades.

About UT-Austin, my son was told that he could go to college to UT-Dallas and then transfer
I think that's a bad idea ... best thing to do is to stay in the school where you started

Old 02-09-2022, 11:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,794 posts, read 58,282,396 times
Is this strictly HS related? (tad confusing to not specify grade level, but I can guess it is HS for a student of someone who did not live in TX as a HS student (all regions have changed significantly in 20 yrs!))
Quote:
Since I did not take high school here, I decided to ask this since I live in Houston and some of y'all can help.

Obviously high grades specially if it's AP courses can get higher GPA.

One thing I'm not sure will getting more credit/courses than minimum required number of credits help?
1) FORGET HS, just send your HS kid to college (Worked for ours, they never even attended a school until college (FT @ pre-age 16)).

I note some HS in Texas have active dual enrollment programs (college + HS) no AP (or even HS classes) required. If attending a CC, take fully transferrable courses based on a written contract with the U and major of your choice. Then Transfer and enter U as a full Jr, forget the 'prep' / fluff classes (and expenses) required of first yr students.

https://tea.texas.gov/academics/coll...ep/dual-credit
https://www.air.org/resource/blog-po...rt-high-school
https://www.air.org/resource/report/...ms-and-courses

Old 02-09-2022, 04:22 PM

15,589 posts, read 7,620,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
If anything a heavier course load will hurt the GPA.
Like we already told you in an earlier thread to get into a good engineering school in Texas you'll need a much higher ranking than top 10%. UT Austin is now top 6% to get in by auto admit and the cutoff for engineering is even higher.
My kid was #4 in a class of 400, Eagle Scout, other outside activities. UT Engineering school and business school said no, and he was offered a Liberal Arts program. No thanks. He's at A&M in the Engineering program.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:23 PM

15,589 posts, read 7,620,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
In my opinion ... the best advice is to try to figure out what career path your kid will likely enjoy
whether is engineering, computer science, medicine, accounting, on and on.
IF ... you are able to do that, you can identify classes that your kid will enjoy and will be useful for when he/she goes to college.
And is more likely to get good grades.

About UT-Austin, my son was told that he could go to college to UT-Dallas and then transfer
I think that's a bad idea ... best thing to do is to stay in the school where you started
UT Dallas is better than Austin for some programs, and may be even more selective.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:13 AM

1,952 posts, read 834,751 times
I went to Tech because UT and A&M did not appeal to me.

Not everyone "wants to go to UT or A&M" sorry.

I have also found that having a degree from a place other than UT or A&M has not impeded my earning potential.

That's ok..we are used to being overlooked. LOL

Old 02-10-2022, 11:30 AM

5,640 posts, read 4,978,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
I went to Tech because UT and A&M did not appeal to me.

Not everyone "wants to go to UT or A&M" sorry.

I have also found that having a degree from a place other than UT or A&M has not impeded my earning potential.

That's ok..we are used to being overlooked. LOL
Not to mention the other campuses in the UT and A&M systems (UT Dallas was noted, appropriately).

Old 02-10-2022, 12:35 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,230,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I see you are familiar with Midwest universities
My son this year was accepted to OU, Missouri S&T, U of H ... but was not accepted to UT. He didn't apply to A&M.
I think, UT and A&M are just extremely popular and everybody wants to go there.
My son's GPA is 3.7/4.0 weighted (adjusted for AP classes) and a ACT of 31.
He's decided to go to U of H, we are just putting a hell lot of work into scholarships and we'll find out in the next few months how much it's going to cost.
I'm ok with U of H, I just hate the fact that is completely surrounded by ghettos.
One good thing is that it has a rail station right in front of the dorms.
have you been to LSU? UH ain't in a ghetto - you know what a ghetto is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston