Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 04:49 PM

48 posts, read 228,741 times

Advertisements

What do you prefer paying taxes at the end of the year or including them in your mortgage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 05:07 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times
I prefer to have my taxes not escrowed.
I can put it in a short term CD or something and gain interest
Escrow account i believe pays interest but it is very small.

Just have to make sure you save enough for the taxes and not be short by the end of the year.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:22 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,027 times
I do not escrow for a few reasons... The main one is the mortgage co always seems to screw something up and you end up getting a notice in the mail that they want a big check as there's not enough in the account to pay the taxes and insurance or your payments always changing due to insurance and tax increases. The other reason is I like to have control of when my taxes get paid and know that my taxes and insurance are getting paid rather than hoping some employee has done their job and taken care of it. The last of course is you can make some lunch money by sticking it in a short term CD rather than letting the escrow account hold it.. I would say if you know that you are irresponsible and will not save enough $ during the year to cover your taxes and insurance it's a good idea, otherwise it isn't.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:28 PM

[quote=Lake Conroe resident;3828873]The last of course is you can make some lunch money by sticking it in a short term CD rather than letting the escrow account hold it..

It is a whole lot more than just some lunch money. =p

Old 05-21-2008, 05:35 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,899 times
I escrow so I don't have to worry about it, have never had a problem...

Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 AM

410 posts, read 1,682,407 times
I'd rather have them escrowed...one less item to worry about. It's my finding people tend to live month to month and factoring the taxes on the front end (in their mortgage payment)works better for them. Because...life happens and if they have access to the $$$... it seems to get spent on other things.

If your getting a mortgage...often, the choice of escrowing taxes is determined by your mortgage company. Much like PMI....Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyger7000 View Post
What do you prefer paying taxes at the end of the year or including them in your mortgage?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny57 View Post
I'd rather have them escrowed...one less item to worry about. It's my finding people tend to live month to month and factoring the taxes on the front end (in their mortgage payment)works better for them. Because...life happens and if they have access to the $$$... it seems to get spent on other things.

If your getting a mortgage...often, the choice of escrowing taxes is determined by your mortgage company. Much like PMI....Sunny
That is true, it takes alot of discipline

Old 05-21-2008, 11:29 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyger7000 View Post
Escrowing is your best bet.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:07 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
If you don't have a lump to cover the taxes at the end of the year to put in a CD you can always "self-escrow" by setting up an automatic deduction to an interest-earning savings account (ING comes to mind). It really is just lunch money, though. The ease of escrowing the taxes makes sense to a lot of people, others just don't like the principle of letting the bank have the interest on the tax money.

If the route of (generally) least headaches appeals to you, escrow.

If are disciplined enough to come up with the tax money each year and are bothered by wastefulness, even if it is almost negligible in most cases, its better not to escrow.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:03 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
If are disciplined enough to come up with the tax money each year and are bothered by wastefulness, even if it is almost negligible in most cases, its better not to escrow.
I think the biggest reason I don't escrow is I like to first know that the taxes got paid ( I had problems with this years ago) and to have control of when they get paid. If you need help on your tax return more in one year vs the other you can decide when to pay and get the deduction for them. The interest really is just lunch money so that's not the driving factor so unless you pay 25K per year in property taxes it wouldn't amount to much more than a nice lunch date out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston