Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 04:44 PM

5,647 posts, read 4,985,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I suppose (I could be wrong) that Kerrtown was referring to a commuter rail line that involves a stop in IAH as well as the Woodlands, Conroe, etc
Well, that would at least have a veneer of greater justification, though commuter rail (assuming he's talking about traditional commuter rail like the TRE in DFW) has additional issues in Houston that generally make me oppose it - like the frequency of service (or non-frequency really) and distance of downtown station location from riders' ultimate destinations. Plus the freight rail operators will NOT give up space for it anyway, so the whole idea is moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
You also have to keep in mind how huge Houston’s urban core is compared to the places you mentioned.
It's huge, but most of it is at low suburban-style densities.

Old 04-14-2022, 04:58 PM

10,014 posts, read 6,705,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
It's huge, but most of it is at low suburban-style densities.
Nope. Uptown, TMC and Greenway for the sakes of transit are just as limited to space as all of these downtowns. The portion where the Inner Katy route is isn’t and that’s why that’s being done fully elevated.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:50 PM

20,529 posts, read 33,635,677 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, have you been to other light rail systems around the country? I ask this because the other light rail systems in the nation are usually even more street car-y than Houston (i.e. Denver). Even Calgary's system was more street car.

Dallas light rail outside of their downtown is one of the least street car ish light rail systems I have seen in USA with Los Angeles being one of the few places to top it. If the D2 subway plan goes through, this might even elevate Dallas ahead of Los Angele's (light rail portion only, not their heavy rail portions). DART is in no way shape or form a traditional Metro system or anything remotely close, but the portions outside of downtown get as close in USA as possible.

Ofcourse, outside of USA, this is a different story. London's Docklands Light Rail is basically a metro system.

To be clear, yes I have been and rode on all of the systems I described.

Obviously we aren't going to agree on the metro budgeting and how they should plan their next routes, so no point on continuing that conversation, but I was curious about this.
Actually the closest LRT system to form like a traditional metro system in the US is probably Metrolink in St. Louis. Fast forward through the video to see the example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FC4mP-Dijc

IIRC, the entire system is built like this. It is one of the best examples of a light rail rapid transit system in the US. You are correct though that DART outside of downtown is much like a ligh trail rapid transit system as well. I've made that argument plenty of times. The majority of Houston's system looks like a London Tram. Which is fine for urban transit systems. But a rapid transit system not interfering with the road or surface areas outside its own ROW is what Houston needs.

I think if Houston even built their system like St Louis did whether underground or elevated, you will see less objection to the project from the very start.

Last edited by Spade; 04-14-2022 at 07:58 PM..

Old 04-14-2022, 08:22 PM

10,014 posts, read 6,705,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually the closest LRT system to form like a traditional metro system in the US is probably Metrolink in St. Louis. Fast forward through the video to see the example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FC4mP-Dijc

IIRC, the entire system is built like this. It is one of the best examples of a light rail rapid transit system in the US. You are correct though that DART outside of downtown is much like a ligh trail rapid transit system as well. I've made that argument plenty of times. The majority of Houston's system looks like a London Tram. Which is fine for urban transit systems. But a rapid transit system not interfering with the road or surface areas outside its own ROW is what Houston needs.

I think if Houston even built their system like St Louis did whether underground or elevated, you will see less objection to the project from the very start.
I’ve never been to St Louis. From the pictures it looks like you’re right and St Louis has the most metro like light rail in USA. Only the Docklands light rail in London is more metro like that I’ve seen

Old 04-14-2022, 09:19 PM

20,529 posts, read 33,635,677 times
Quote:
I’ve never been to St Louis. From the pictures it looks like you’re right and St Louis has the most metro like light rail in USA. Only the Docklands light rail in London is more metro like that I’ve seen
Yeah when you search Houston light rail in youtube, you will see people from Europe comment over and over that it's more of a tram. In the US, we have replaced the word tram with the word, streetcar. Some say trolley but I think we have really relegated trolley to something else over the years personally. I can't find any other system like Metrolink. Maybe Boston or LA is like that? I don't know.

Old 04-17-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Nope. Uptown, TMC and Greenway for the sakes of transit are just as limited to space as all of these downtowns. The portion where the Inner Katy route is isn’t and that’s why that’s being done fully elevated.
Again, not sure of your point...try restating. I was referring to the housing and jobs density in most of Inner Loop area, which despite having TMC and UK/Greenway, is mostly low to moderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston