Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 03:16 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Aw, now don't hate on the old shrines, it wouldn't be a proper old Glenbrook house without one! Odd thing is I have seen variations in several of the old houses in the neighborhood.

The top one was in a house a singer named Steve Tyrrell grew up in.
OMG! I didn't realize Steve Tyrell grew up in Houston...he grew up in your current neighborhood? I saw him a couple of months ago when he was performing in Galveston (his drummer is a former colleague). Didn't stay to see the show but had a bbq dinner after soundcheck backstage with them - lol - now the pieces are all falling into place what with his love of BBQ and the drawl.

Regarding crucifixes over beds, doorways, etc...we've had crucifixes over all those areas as long as I can remember. It has nothing to do with a house being haunted but that the presence of Christ is in one's home. I have a crucifix or cross in every room of the house - I've received so many as gifts from relatives when we've bought or moved into a new house. Many Catholics that hail from countries that were once former Spanish colonies place special sentiment in having home shrines; in our family, most of the statues we have go back several generations and were originally brought from Spain so along with its religious symbolism is their value as family heirlooms.

I disagree with a pp who said something to the effect of houses in California not displaying crosses. Nothing could be further from the truth especially in Southern California where Mission & Spanish Revival in older & current architecture is very popular. We have agnostic friends who have crosses all over the house, mostly in groupings - to them, it may as well be decorative candle holders. Also, decorating houses & oneself (hello...Madonna???) with crosses has been a trendy thing having nothing (again) to do with faith.

A few months ago, I saw a house on HAR that had antique dolls by the dozens in every single solitary room - even the bathrooms. Now THAT was creepy. It was hard for me to see past all those doll eyes staring straight ahead.

Anyway...if you can't see past the things that an owner has in their own home, move on...the house probably wasn't meant to be. I know I never would have been able to get past all the dolls had we been interested in the house above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 07:18 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Oh that is too funny.
Very True though

Old 08-29-2009, 11:43 AM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
Yeah, Texas is big on crosses and death penalty....other than that ppl are very friendly and there`s a high quality of life...but..."Don`t mess with Texas"

Old 08-29-2009, 07:38 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
OMG! I didn't realize Steve Tyrell grew up in Houston...he grew up in your current neighborhood?
Yes, over on the south end of Glen Dell Ct off of Santa Elena.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:45 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
A few months ago, I saw a house on HAR that had antique dolls by the dozens in every single solitary room - even the bathrooms. Now THAT was creepy. It was hard for me to see past all those doll eyes staring straight ahead.
OK, that horrific image is going to give me nightmares!

Old 08-30-2009, 09:43 PM

141 posts, read 293,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I have a kryptonite citronella cross on my patio - repels mosquitoes, Dracula and Superman at the same time.
Hahahahaha....

This thread is great.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:12 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebeat View Post
I always get worried if a house is haunted, not so much with decorative crosses, but if there are crucifixes above beds, doorways, etc. *shudder* Anyone ever watch that "true story" show "A Haunting" ? X(
My place is haunted by ghosts. They show up after I've had a can or two of Wolf Brand Chili w/ beans and a sixer of Shiner, and they smell horrible.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:45 AM

100 posts, read 305,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
My place is haunted by ghosts. They show up after I've had a can or two of Wolf Brand Chili w/ beans and a sixer of Shiner, and they smell horrible.
Apparently they're also flammable.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestymama View Post
on the wall, if not several. I'm not used to seeing so many crosses, and they also look quite different than the ones I've seen here. Are they just for decoration or is it to express religious views? I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anyone, I've just literally never seen so many crosses before.

Catholics generally have a cross or crucifix in every room of their home; I do and so do many other Catholics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston