Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 07:54 AM

29 posts, read 78,844 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are locating from NY state to Houston and was wondering about the nice place to live. My workplace is on TX HWY 6 and around 1 mile from I-10. I was looking some apartments there online and also found this crime reports stats database from houston police department website. Now I am so concerned if the area is safe, any apartment I see in that database it reports of home invasions, sexual assaults, auto thefts etc.

Could you please suggest some nice and safe apartments/town homes around that area. By the way zip code is 77079

Thanks

Last edited by startrek; 05-22-2008 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Added more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:00 AM

283 posts, read 1,281,903 times
77079 area should be a good place to live and work. It includes a lot of Memorial, along Buffalo Bayou, and is mostly on the south side of I-10, between Hwy 6 and Beltway 8. Memorial is one of the most prestigious neighborhoods in Houston.

Some reader(s) should be able to give you more details but, as for crime, I would certainly not be scared to live in that area. You should be able to find some nice, safe apartments in that area and with reasonable rental rates.

One thing I like about your situation is that you might be able to set things up where you'll be driving in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic. If you're working on Hwy 6 and living in say the Wilcrest area, you'll be driving west in the mornings and most of the other guys will be driving east. Well, maybe things could be like that. Whatever. While living in Houston apartments and working many years ago I was able to do such a thing and it certainly makes for less stressful driving. In fact, twice, I just walked across the street to work. In most cases, the rush-hour traffic here is more annoying than the crime.

Do a Google search using "zip 77079 apartments" and see what you can find. I got a lot of hits. Meanwhile, somebody here will probably provide more specific help than me. Point is that 77079 is NOT a high-crime area. It's probably one of our better so Good Luck.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:31 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
77079 is an extremely nice area to live. Single family homes are now starting in the 300's for a fixer upper.

HOWEVER, most of the apartment complexes in that zip code are up by the Freeway and away from the neighborhoods. Anything, anywhere that is multi-family living and is near a freeway in a big city is going to have crime.

You may want to shoot for a townhouse in the area (away from I-10) or go a little bit east for townhouses in western 77024. Eldridge around Memorial has some nice complexes. Parts of it are in 77077. Stay a good bit north of Briar Forest though in that area.

My suggestion is a townhouse. Go to HAR.COM and plug in Residental Lease, your budget and the zip code 77079. Search again for 77024, but just check the map to make sure it's far enough west. Good complexes are The Pines,Memorial Townhouses, Ethan's Glen, Somerset, Nottingham Townhouses.
Generally, if the enterance to the complex is right on Memorial, it should be rather nice.

The only apartment complex I feel good about recommending is The Alexan at Memorial Bend (extreme western 77024). It's right on the Beltway neat Town & Country Village and the new CityCentre.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:36 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
You may want to shop around for a rent house in Katy or Jersey Village as well.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:52 PM

29 posts, read 78,844 times
Thanks for the replies. You guys are really great! I will certainly visit HAR.com, thanks for the great pointers again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston