Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 06:34 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times

Advertisements

Here we go with the Disney to Texas conversation again. This time from the Fort Bend county judge. Here's what the article has to say.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...b-e8a608cf55ef

Quote:
FORT BEND COUNTY, Texas — Have you ever thought about what it would be like to have Mickey Mouse and all of Disney in your backyard? The Fort Bend County judge is hoping to make that a reality.

Judge K.P. George sent an email recently to Walt Disney CEO Bob Chapek, inviting him to consider the county as the location for the company's next resort.

The judge said there are multiple reasons why Fort Bend is "the best place for a new Walt Disney World Resort." He first pointed out the good things about the county, including it being called the most diverse in the country.

George also listed the area's academic and economic success, with "extremely high graduation rates" and "wide open and affordable land" as a couple of selling points.

He then threw a jab at Florida as the state government there is set to end Disney's special tax district. According to KHOU 11's sister station in Tampa, the bill to end it is heading to Gov. Ron DeSantis' desk.

Judge K.P. called their actions "authoritarian, anti-business, and culture war attacks from extremists in Florida."

The judge then continued by saying Fort Bend County is "more than ready" to bring jobs and investments.

"With a strong focus on economic development, we encourage small and large business growth through a business-friendly climate," he wrote.

George ends the letter by saying he and his waiting for the Disney CEO to give them a call.

What's happening with Walt Disney in Florida?
Walt Disney and Florida governor Ron DeSantis have been battling since the company's stance on the state's "Parental Rights in Education" law. That's the law that critics have called the "Don't Say Gay" bill.

RELATED: What does Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill actually do?

RELATED: Critics of push for 'Don’t Say Gay' bill in Texas warn it could have 'chilling effect' in classrooms

The Walt Disney Company opposes the law saying they're supporting Florida's LGBTQ+ community. Gov. DeSantis said their stance crossed the line.

Now, DeSantis is set to sign off a bill that'll dissolve a lot of special districts, including Walt Disney's Reedy Creek Improvement District.

According to WTSP, the Disney district is allowed to "act with the same authority and responsibility as a county government." It was made so the company could have a "recreation-oriented" development.

It made Walt Disney responsible for paying for the area instead of leaving it to taxpayers.
Now my personal opinion is I don't see Walt Disney coming to Texas and even if they did why would they choose Fort Bend over let's say somewhere in the Hill Country?

Ironically, Disney former CEO said sometime in 2018 that it's inevitable that a new theme park will be constructed, BUT they're looking to expand in other countries. They didn't mention anything about the possibility of building another theme park in N. America. Which if they did consider another state, Texas would be a likely top candidate. Just not seeing this actually happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 06:46 AM

9,904 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Even if they did open in the Houston area, somewhere like New Caney would be much more likely than Fort Bend

Old 04-25-2022, 07:00 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Funny… Disney World being forced to move to a different state by the so-called small government/free market people

Old 04-25-2022, 07:32 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,525,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Funny… Disney World being forced to move to a different state by the so-called small government/free market people
Nobody is forcing them to move, they're talking about building a third park in the central U.S. Something they've really needed for a long time. Pre pandemic, both parks were way too crowded during peak seasons. The demand for a third park was definitely there, but I'm not sure how they are doing since Covid.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:31 AM

418 posts, read 742,522 times
I will certainly not be giving money to anything Disney-related so I'm hoping they stay away from this state. That judge just wants to get his name in the news.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:33 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,756 times
Yeah, freaking Disney. Employing free speech and standing up for their LGBT workers in the face of a discriminatory law. Boo

Old 04-25-2022, 09:38 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,176,383 times
If they do build a new resort I hope it's not somewhere as hot and humid as Texas. I don't know how those minimum wage making character actors survive in the Orlando heat.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:07 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,795,280 times
The odds of Disney building a third park anywhere in the US, Texas included, are remote. Between sky-high construction costs and the improbability of being able to secretly piece together the park acreage like they did in Florida, it's just not going to happen.

Disney is quite happy to make incremental upgrades to their existing parks, pack them with guests, and use the crowds as justification to continually raise prices beyond the reach of middle-class families. I enjoyed a few Disney World visits as a child, and I feel obligated to give our kids this experience at least once, but I'm very grateful that there are plenty of other theme parks that are more affordable, closer to home, and that have steered clear of politics.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:11 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
If they do build a new resort I hope it's not somewhere as hot and humid as Texas. I don't know how those minimum wage making character actors survive in the Orlando heat.
Seriously. Who would want to go stand in line at a theme park in July in the Sunbelt? Not to mention all metal parts on rides must get insanely hot to the touch.

However, the current rumor has been that Disney is looking near Jarrell, north of Georgetown. Just relating what I've heard...

Old 04-25-2022, 10:50 AM

9,904 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Seriously. Who would want to go stand in line at a theme park in July in the Sunbelt? Not to mention all metal parts on rides must get insanely hot to the touch.

However, the current rumor has been that Disney is looking near Jarrell, north of Georgetown. Just relating what I've heard...
That would be better than standing in line in the winter in anything north of the sun belt. And while not everyone agrees on weather conditions, the sun belt weather is much trendier right now than than colder climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston