Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2022, 09:29 PM

38 posts, read 33,217 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We live in Sugar Land and are considering a move to Seattle/Bellevue for my husbands job. We've got 2 young kids and are hoping for more outdoor activity for our kids there.

Has anyone moved here from the PacNW, if so which do you prefer and why? We realize Houston is 'ugly' but we're used to it, and also aware of the huge COL difference there. Tough decision and having trouble deciding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 07:05 AM

186 posts, read 209,230 times
Hi there. I can chime in a bit though I can't compare much to what Seattle/Bellevue is in these recent years. From family that is still there, I've heard Seattle, in general, has declined quite a bit. Along with the similar issues in LA and Portland (homeless issues, crime problems, COL/tax rise complaints, etc.) Also, opinion may also sway dependent of your political leanings.

I grew up in the PNW. Mostly on the Oregon coast but I was born in Tacoma and my dad and a few family members still live in the Seattle area, so I grew up back and forth between there and the Oregon coast. My dad has owned his house in south Seattle (which understand is a far cry from Bellevue) since the mid-80's. He's recently retired and has been getting ready to list his house and move. He complains constantly how expensive King County has gotten and he pretty much stays completely out of Seattle now due to the crime rise and homeless issues. On the other hand, my uncle recently retired and sold his home in Kirkland that he'd owned since the 90's, mainly to move closer to my aunts in Portland. He also mentioned the uprising in crime a bit but Kirkland/Bellevue (west Seattle in general) has mainly been considered a good area and I think still is for the most part. Lots of money there which helps.

As for comparing PNW to TX (or Houston mainly) in general... I mean, the PNW is absolutely gorgeous. Period. If you enjoy outdoor activities at all, you have the best of the best in your backyard. The camping, hiking, etc. There's not much really like it. The weather can be a drag, especially in the Seattle area. The rain can be hard to deal with for a lot of people, but it's what blesses that region with all that beautiful green. I actually tend to enjoy the rain, so I can't say much there. Haha. But when the sun shines, it's amazing. I'd say the temperature ranges for the year are pretty moderate. Nothing too crazy. You' may get some snow in the Winter/early Spring, but it rarely sticks around long and the opportunity to have seasons is something I really miss.

All that being said, when I had the chance to move from the Oregon coast to Texas, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Growing up in the PNW was something I will forever be grateful for. I had a childhood that sounds alien to friends I share stories with here in Texas. Seattle is entirely different from where I came from, it has plenty of opportunity, but I moved here from small town rural Oregon. Where there was absolutely no opportunity unless you "knew the right people" and even then, it was just a getting by kind of life. Lots of drug problems, etc. Not something that I wanted for the rest of my life. Moving here to Texas changed my life and I'm very happy here.

I'm thankful that I still have all my family back home (in Oregon and Washington) that we can go back and visit whenever we want. And then we get to come home to TX.

Sorry. I rambled here. This may or may not even be helpful to you at all. I will say that if you can accept the higher COL, west Seattle (the Bellevue area) is probably a better option than others if you do make the move. West Seattle has always been, and I still believe is, considered a very nice, desirable area. The opportunity to have the PNW outdoors as a play area for your children would be amazing. I have so many great memories from my childhood camping and boating with my dad in Washington and the Puget Sound. I still have family that live on Whidbey Island and it really is an absolute treat whenever we get to visit. It still takes my breath away there and fills my heart to take back home here to TX.

Best of luck!

Old 05-01-2022, 05:34 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfarm_ View Post
Hi there. I can chime in a bit though I can't compare much to what Seattle/Bellevue is in these recent years. From family that is still there, I've heard Seattle, in general, has declined quite a bit. Along with the similar issues in LA and Portland (homeless issues, crime problems, COL/tax rise complaints, etc.) Also, opinion may also sway dependent of your political leanings.

I grew up in the PNW. Mostly on the Oregon coast but I was born in Tacoma and my dad and a few family members still live in the Seattle area, so I grew up back and forth between there and the Oregon coast. My dad has owned his house in south Seattle (which understand is a far cry from Bellevue) since the mid-80's. He's recently retired and has been getting ready to list his house and move. He complains constantly how expensive King County has gotten and he pretty much stays completely out of Seattle now due to the crime rise and homeless issues. On the other hand, my uncle recently retired and sold his home in Kirkland that he'd owned since the 90's, mainly to move closer to my aunts in Portland. He also mentioned the uprising in crime a bit but Kirkland/Bellevue (west Seattle in general) has mainly been considered a good area and I think still is for the most part. Lots of money there which helps.

As for comparing PNW to TX (or Houston mainly) in general... I mean, the PNW is absolutely gorgeous. Period. If you enjoy outdoor activities at all, you have the best of the best in your backyard. The camping, hiking, etc. There's not much really like it. The weather can be a drag, especially in the Seattle area. The rain can be hard to deal with for a lot of people, but it's what blesses that region with all that beautiful green. I actually tend to enjoy the rain, so I can't say much there. Haha. But when the sun shines, it's amazing. I'd say the temperature ranges for the year are pretty moderate. Nothing too crazy. You' may get some snow in the Winter/early Spring, but it rarely sticks around long and the opportunity to have seasons is something I really miss.

All that being said, when I had the chance to move from the Oregon coast to Texas, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Growing up in the PNW was something I will forever be grateful for. I had a childhood that sounds alien to friends I share stories with here in Texas. Seattle is entirely different from where I came from, it has plenty of opportunity, but I moved here from small town rural Oregon. Where there was absolutely no opportunity unless you "knew the right people" and even then, it was just a getting by kind of life. Lots of drug problems, etc. Not something that I wanted for the rest of my life. Moving here to Texas changed my life and I'm very happy here.

I'm thankful that I still have all my family back home (in Oregon and Washington) that we can go back and visit whenever we want. And then we get to come home to TX.

Sorry. I rambled here. This may or may not even be helpful to you at all. I will say that if you can accept the higher COL, west Seattle (the Bellevue area) is probably a better option than others if you do make the move. West Seattle has always been, and I still believe is, considered a very nice, desirable area. The opportunity to have the PNW outdoors as a play area for your children would be amazing. I have so many great memories from my childhood camping and boating with my dad in Washington and the Puget Sound. I still have family that live on Whidbey Island and it really is an absolute treat whenever we get to visit. It still takes my breath away there and fills my heart to take back home here to TX.

Best of luck!

Good advice but I want to point out there's actually a city called West Seattle.

Bellevue is insanely gorgeous and nice if you can afford it. It's not quite as communal as a place like Sugarland if you ask me. Also, look up what you can get for 1 million dollars in Bellevue vs Sugarland before leaving.

Probably sacreligious to say this here but if you can handle the rain and cost, I think Seattle is the better place.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Good advice but I want to point out there's actually a city called West Seattle.

Bellevue is insanely gorgeous and nice if you can afford it. It's not quite as communal as a place like Sugarland if you ask me. Also, look up what you can get for 1 million dollars in Bellevue vs Sugarland before leaving.

Probably sacreligious to say this here but if you can handle the rain and cost, I think Seattle is the better place.

You're right. That's what I get for responding so early in the morning before coffee. I was all mixed up. Kirkland/Bellevue are EAST Seattle. Smh. Also, I remember some areas to the north (Bothell) being nice too. It has been a long while since I've been in those areas though.

My mom grew up in WEST Seattle (area) and I think that's where my brain was pulling from. I lived in Ballard very briefly out of High School with a boyfriend who was going to dive school there. It was a nice area at the time but I can't attest to it's condition now.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:35 PM

38 posts, read 33,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

Wow I really appreciate your honesty. We’re ok with a small home if quality of life will be better

Old 05-20-2022, 02:12 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfarm_ View Post
As for comparing PNW to TX (or Houston mainly) in general... I mean, the PNW is absolutely gorgeous. Period. If you enjoy outdoor activities at all, you have the best of the best in your backyard. The camping, hiking, etc. There's not much really like it. The weather can be a drag, especially in the Seattle area. The rain can be hard to deal with for a lot of people, but it's what blesses that region with all that beautiful green.
Oddly Houston has more rain than Seattle. Luckily the ecosystem is well adapted to heavy rainfall (the loamy soil), otherwise even higher elevations that "never flood" would have been inundated by Hurricane Harvey (5 years ago) too!

It's hard to make out Houston on a satellite map because despite the concrete, it's full of trees and other greenery. The two biggest enemies of concrete are weeds that seem to pop up in crevices and tree roots that eventually break up the slab. (Combined with the loamy soil, that's also why the roads get worn out eventually.)

Coastal Texas is the only part of the state with plentiful, reliable rainfall. Afternoon pop-up showers in the summers are a common occurrence thanks to the marine (sub-)tropical climate from the Gulf of Mexico.

Enjoy the typical dry warm spring day now, because come June, the dominant SE winds from the Gulf will bring humidity and the ingredients for pop-up rainstorms.

(Tips from a Native Houstonian.)

Old 05-21-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Oddly Houston has more rain than Seattle. Luckily the ecosystem is well adapted to heavy rainfall (the loamy soil), otherwise even higher elevations that "never flood" would have been inundated by Hurricane Harvey (5 years ago) too!

It's hard to make out Houston on a satellite map because despite the concrete, it's full of trees and other greenery. The two biggest enemies of concrete are weeds that seem to pop up in crevices and tree roots that eventually break up the slab. (Combined with the loamy soil, that's also why the roads get worn out eventually.)

Coastal Texas is the only part of the state with plentiful, reliable rainfall. Afternoon pop-up showers in the summers are a common occurrence thanks to the marine (sub-)tropical climate from the Gulf of Mexico.

Enjoy the typical dry warm spring day now, because come June, the dominant SE winds from the Gulf will bring humidity and the ingredients for pop-up rainstorms.

(Tips from a Native Houstonian.)

This may be true, and I don't doubt it, but they are different kinds of rain and that's more of what I was referring to.

Here in Houston, outside of a major weather event, the rain comes down hard and heavy like the sky is falling and generally rolls through fairly quickly due to the land area here being quite flat. Also, it stays warm during rain storms.

In Seattle, and other parts of the pacific northwest (usually along the coast), it's not uncommon to go days or weeks without seeing sun and have a pretty consistent light rain/drizzle through most of a day. The terrain along the coast lines and in the mountains can trap clouds and it can be pretty dreary and wet. And it's typically not warm when it rains. It's the kind of cloudy, rainy, cold dreariness that brings on bouts of seasonal depression in a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston