Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 11:54 PM

3 posts, read 1,861 times

Advertisements

Hi, I recently got a job offer in Webster, TX, and we're looking for the best place to live – would love input from this community!

Some of our details and criteria:

* We're a family of 4, with two kids aged 5.5 and 1.5. Good elementary schools are a major priority.
* Good with a 45 min max commute, getting to work between 6:45 and 7:30 am (my spouse works from home, so no second commute to consider)
* We'd like easy access to family in The Woodlands and Austin (so the further northwest, the better)
* Public parks, playgrounds, and good outdoor areas (hiking/running trails) high on the priority list as well
* Budget in the $800k - $1M range

So far, Bellaire and West University seem to fit the bill the closest – does that seem right? Should we be exploring Sugarland or Pearland more? The Heights? Others?

Thank you all for the input!

Last edited by abuda; 04-29-2022 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: spelling errors and formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 07:37 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Why are you looking so far away from Webster? You should probably be considering Friendswood, League City, Seabrook and the entirety of the Clear Lake area, including areas closer to Webster itself like Nassau Bay. Good schools and very little commute. Are you concerned about flooding, hurricanes, or proximity to the coast?

If you really want to be North of town or inside the city itself, I get that. I suppose I'm just curious. I live on the South side of Clear Lake and my husband works near NASA, and we've been very happy living in this area. There are a lot of decent houses well below your price max, but a lot of homes in the $800K-$1.0M+ range as well (which go very quickly if they have water access).

Old 04-30-2022, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the reply Texas Ag 93!

We’re probably over-indexing a bit on proximity to family in The Woodlands and Austin, which is biasing us towards being further northwest. But in reality, the commute is everyday and visiting family is, at best, every couple of weeks, so we should probably expand our search further south like you’re suggesting.

Flooding/hurricanes are a bit of a concern for the areas you suggested tho - how did you evaluate that aspect when choosing to live there?

Last edited by abuda; 04-30-2022 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Fixing Autocorrect

Old 04-30-2022, 09:37 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuda View Post

We’re probably over-indexing a bit on proximity to family in The Woodlands and Austin, which is biasing us towards being further northwest. But in reality, the commute is everyday and visiting family is, at best, every couple of weeks, so we should probably expand our search further south like you’re suggesting.

Flooding/hurricanes are a bit of a concern for the areas you suggested tho - how did you evaluate that aspect when choosing to live there?
Yes-- do yourself a favor and keep your commute short. Live near your everyday activities, drive to see the family. Lots of great neighborhoods around Webster.

Re. flooding/hurricanes-- study the flood maps. Since you have family in Austin and the Woodlands I wouldn't worry about hurricanes, you typically have plenty of warning and could visit family for a few days until the threat is past.

Old 04-30-2022, 09:37 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuda View Post

We didn't consider the flooding risk as a factor TBH. My husband said he would only consider a move back to Houston after 15 years away if we lived on the water and had a boat.....so that's what we did. He loves it, personally, I spend the months of May-Oct somewhat nervous about Hurricane season and always breathe a sigh of relief when the season is over.

Having said that, I know far more people who suffered flooding losses during Harvey and other storms who live in Meyerland and close to Bellaire than my neighborhood (we were fine in Harvey). The bigger concern down here on the water as opposed to those locations is wind and hail. And as there poster above says, look at the flood maps. There are plenty of neighborhoods in this area that are not in as risky an area as my house is, for example.

Old 05-01-2022, 10:01 AM

thanks for the insight houston-nomad and Texas Ag 93! looks like i'll be bookmarking the flood maps as we search for homes. did not know Bellaire was so flood prone!

Old 05-02-2022, 05:23 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
I’ve commuted from Friendswood to woodlands for several years now. It’s not fun. It takes a toll on you. I would advise living near where you work and shortening your commute. My house is paid for, and was when I began this job, so I stay.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:03 AM

7,260 posts, read 4,634,376 times
To help evaluate your risk to a hurricane you'll mainly want to consider the water aspect. Water is the biggest concern...from rainfall flooding (freshwater), and coastal (storm surge). Here are some flood maps for each (There may be other local/regional maps to help as well given history there):

Freshwater (rain) flooding (Does not take into account storm surge flooding): Fema: https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search Type in a city or a specific address. Unfortunately you'll need to zoom in quite a ways for the colored flood layers to appear. If you use "Webster, TX" the layers should show at that zoom level for you though. Can pan around from there.

Storm Surge flooding (does not take into account rain flooding): https://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Ma...935fad&entry=1 (Note: you’ll need to change the ‘category’ of storm to see different water levels). Keep in mind...this is a planning tool and not a 'if a Cat2 hits a giant region is flooded' deal as may appear at a glance. This tool is considered accurate down to the neighborhood level (so my not take into account if a builder raised the lot, etc.), and displays what could occur given just the right circumstances at any given point shown (ie: Cat3 shows flooding somewhere doesn't mean that every Cat3 that hits causes that flooding, but given the right scenario it is possible at any given location as shown). If a storm were to hit the peak storm surge is typically found right near the center(eye) and less as you get away from that point. If there were a storm, the US National Hurricane Center would post a similar map but it would be specific to the storm in question so you'd have a better idea of what to expect your location should one approach. Another way to simply know your risk to surge is your properties height above sea level: if you're about 30ft above sea level then you're pretty much safe from any surge in the US.

Last edited by Psychoma; 05-02-2022 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: Does an Edit button become lonely if not pressed? Ponder this…

Old 05-06-2022, 04:13 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,372,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I’ve commuted from Friendswood to woodlands for several years now. It’s not fun. It takes a toll on you. I would advise living near where you work and shortening your commute. My house is paid for, and was when I began this job, so I stay.
Yikes!

Old 05-06-2022, 06:56 PM

225 posts, read 136,125 times
If you work in Webster and want great schools then the answer is a no brainer - Friendswood. I would be very careful about what part of Friendswood you choose. Flooding is a definite concern.

I would suggest looking at the new West Ranch subdivision. Great amenities for family. Very safe and great public schools. Easy access to Baybrook mall and lots of stores/restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston