Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 05:41 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,348,130 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Have visited Houston once in the spring and liked it! In the quest for a good fit, Houston is in the cards for a possible relo. I know about the flooding, the electric grid system concerns, the low sea level, heavy rains and hurricane after effects. But honestly, how weather involved does one need to be when living in Houston?

Initially an apartment to get the lay of the land and if we stay then a house (aware of possible foundation and slab issues). Do we need to have an emergency bag at the ready at all times? Is it that kind of vibe? Do folks typically keep an eye on weather patterns and then head to a drier spot in another part of the state? Are people on edge every time it rains?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 11:16 PM

2,431 posts, read 2,480,317 times
Driving during the storm is the worst part. I really hate that. Sometimes there's no choice when storm happens after work. Living on a west side or in northwest helps. Even with driving (less flooding on the roads).

Old 05-12-2022, 11:36 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,120,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi all. Have visited Houston once in the spring and liked it! In the quest for a good fit, Houston is in the cards for a possible relo. I know about the flooding, the electric grid system concerns, the low sea level, heavy rains and hurricane after effects. But honestly, how weather involved does one need to be when living in Houston?

Initially an apartment to get the lay of the land and if we stay then a house (aware of possible foundation and slab issues). Do we need to have an emergency bag at the ready at all times? Is it that kind of vibe? Do folks typically keep an eye on weather patterns and then head to a drier spot in another part of the state? Are people on edge every time it rains?

Thanks
Not really. There are usually at least four days of warning before these events, enough time for grocery shelves to empty out. You do need to plan to have plans for power outages as these seem to be a semi-regular events. Owning a propane grill and batteries are usually enough.

The only unpredictable weather event to lookout for is road flooding. These are hard to predict as you might be driving in areas you're not familiar with and some roads can flood even after just 1 hour of 'normal' rain. Just be ready to pull over and wait it out and not try to drive through any water.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:41 PM

1,674 posts, read 972,744 times
We keep an eye on the gulf during hurricane season. There is time to prepare to either hunker down or evacuate inland.

Rain has eluded us this year. We actually need rain!

People are not on edge unless they live in a flood plain or near a bayou that has a history of overflowing.

Houston’s roads and freeways will flood in extreme weather events. Most homes do not flood but there are exceptions.

Old 05-13-2022, 05:14 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,764,050 times
Flooding in Houston tends to get sensationalized a bit. Three important things to keep in mind:
1) Yes, many streets flood during heavy rains. They're designed to do that! The streets are an integral part of the drainage system, and many are designed to flood so that the adjacent homes/businesses do not. Take extra care when driving in heavy rains and be prepared to delay a journey if needed until conditions improve.
2) 2015-2017 was a rough stretch where we had major floods every year. Overall, though, well over 90% of homes in Houston have never flooded and have a low chance of flooding in the future, so if minimizing flood risk is a top priority you should have no trouble finding a home that is unlikely to flood.
3) Even if your home is on relatively high ground, outside of any floodplain, and has never flooded before, it could flood if you see localized heavy rain + a nearby drainage system failure (ie a clogged or collapsed storm sewer). As such, it's a good idea to carry flood insurance even if you aren't required to.

Regarding power outages - we can go years with no significant outages, have a few minor outages or year, or get slammed with a multi-week outage (following a major hurricane). IMO it's worth it to have at least a small generator that can run the fridge, lights, a window AC unit, and a natural gas furnace (for winter outages). It will pay for itself after a 1-2 day outage if it saves a fridge full of food or allows you to warm your house so that pipes don't freeze and burst. Alternatively, if a nearby neighbor has a big portable generator or an automatic standby generator, they may be willing to run an extension cord during an outage and share power.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:46 AM

Thank you guys soooo much! It really helps alleviate concerns. Was picturing never ending days of air sirens blaring and warning us to take cover immediately. But then I'm like - all of these Fortune 500 companies and the millions of people that live there surely can't be operating and living in a stressed out environment, can they?

I have lived all over the country and every place has its pros and cons. But I really would like to live in a large, economically significant area with corporate HQ's, good amenities, natural beauty and positive forward thinking culture - Houston seems to fit that.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:08 AM

1,674 posts, read 972,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Thank you guys soooo much! It really helps alleviate concerns. Was picturing never ending days of air sirens blaring and warning us to take cover immediately. But then I'm like - all of these Fortune 500 companies and the millions of people that live there surely can't be operating and living in a stressed out environment, can they?

I have lived all over the country and every place has its pros and cons. But I really would like to live in a large, economically significant area with corporate HQ's, good amenities, natural beauty and positive forward thinking culture - Houston seems to fit that.
We don't have air sirens at all. Sometimes we get severe weather alerts over the TV or over cell phone - similar to MISSING CHILD alerts.

Once a year the TV stations in Houston come out with their Hurricane Preparation guides... with information on evacuation routes, things to stock up on (e.g., bottled water, candles, batteries, flashlights, dry food, etc.), and precautions to take (e.g., boarding up windows, removing flying objects from yards, etc.).

Companies in Houston also take part in preparation activities. They will normally send home employees prior to a storm arriving so employees can be safe in their homes. My company does a "check-in" after major weather events to ensure everyone is ok, or if assistance is needed.

Tornadoes, which are much more sudden and unpredictable, don't occur frequently in Houston. We do get the occasional Tornado Warning or Tornado Watch (through alerts over TV and phone), but this is not common and not many touch down.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-13-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
We don't have air sirens at all. Sometimes we get severe weather alerts over the TV or over cell phone - similar to MISSING CHILD alerts.

Once a year the TV stations in Houston come out with their Hurricane Preparation guides... with information on evacuation routes, things to stock up on (e.g., bottled water, candles, batteries, flashlights, dry food, etc.), and precautions to take (e.g., boarding up windows, removing flying objects from yards, etc.).

Companies in Houston also take part in preparation activities. They will normally send home employees prior to a storm arriving so employees can be safe in their homes. My company does a "check-in" after major weather events to ensure everyone is ok, or if assistance is needed.

Tornadoes, which are much more sudden and unpredictable, don't occur frequently in Houston. We do get the occasional Tornado Warning or Tornado Watch (through alerts over TV and phone), but this is not common and not many touch down.

Good luck to you!

Very good to know! Thanks for all of the other info too.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:35 PM

2,431 posts, read 2,480,317 times
I would be even more concerned about heavy tropical rains that often go unannounced: they can cause some havoc on the roads. Flash floods can happen quickly. You can get trapped when there's no way back and no way forward. Every year I recall couple of times when I have to drive in these conditions. One time I remember I was driving to the airport and this happened. Almost lost my car on a flooded road. Fortunately I managed to get to the higher ground and escape from that area.

Old 05-14-2022, 06:23 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,350,081 times
You need to buy this small screwdriver like thing in hardware store and keep it in your car if you like to run your A/C in the summer while driving.
Water can rise quickly,once it is over the top of your car,it would be difficult t o get out of the car ,you need that sharp pointed thing to pierce a hole in your side window .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston