Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 01:54 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,470,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Crime, flooding, dysfunctional school districts, corrupt politicians...I'm surprised we ranked as highly as we did.
Forgot about the winter blackout and the continuing unreliability of the Texas-only power grid.

After the winter storm, I only recommend living in Texas where Entergy is the electric utility (the Eastern Grid). Turns out Metro Houston is a sub-grid of ERCOT, unlike the rest of Texas where it's regional, that can be transitioned easily into the Eastern Grid. Luckily, unlike the rest of Texas, we have a chance to join the more reliable Eastern electric grid (and become less dependent on the dictates from Austin)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 02:00 PM

7,712 posts, read 3,329,666 times
Lived in Houston for 9 months in 1987. I could not get out of there fast enough.

I'm surprised it's rated so high.

My sis and bil had to rebuild 2 houses from Harvey (in their mid-70's). Sounds like a fun late in life adventure after followed the oil overseas for decades and a large number of homes they already fixed up. NOT.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Lived in Houston for 9 months in 1987. I could not get out of there fast enough.

I'm surprised it's rated so high.

My sis and bil had to rebuild 2 houses from Harvey (in their mid-70's). Sounds like a fun late in life adventure after followed the oil overseas for decades and a large number of homes they already fixed up. NOT.
Where does your sis and b-i-l live in Houston?

Depending on the area, they might have live about a mile from the bank of a bayou or in a (well-known/infamous) flood plain.

Despite the hyped national news, most of Houston didn't flood during Harvey. Here in Katy, everything west of Highway 99 (a.k.a. Grand Parkway) was untouched.

I'd be more worried about Mt. St. Helens or Mt. Rainier erupting and destroying Seattle and Portland (like Pompeii). Downtown Seattle was just discovered recently to be on top of a major fault line, so earthquakes would be much worse than the typical Californian one.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:22 PM

18,143 posts, read 25,340,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

Depending on the area, they might have live about a mile from the bank of a bayou or in a (well-known/infamous) flood plain.

Despite the hyped national news, most of Houston didn't flood during Harvey. Here in Katy, everything west of Highway 99 (a.k.a. Grand Parkway) was untouched.
Well, that's 25 miles away from downtown Houston
That's like saying "All of San Antonio didn't flood, I live in New Braunfels and our house didn't flood"

Old 05-20-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Well, that's 25 miles away from downtown Houston
That's like saying "All of San Antonio didn't flood, I live in New Braunfels and our house didn't flood"
Playing the Inner city elitism card again? Only transplants play that game!

Unlike the rest of America, Houston is a unified metro. The suburbs are simply neighborhoods of Houston.

Cinco Ranch is technically unincorporated Houston (in Fort Bend County).

Old 05-20-2022, 03:24 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,802,810 times
Quote:
Forgot about the winter blackout and the continuing unreliability of the Texas-only power grid.

After the winter storm, I only recommend living in Texas where Entergy is the electric utility (the Eastern Grid). Turns out Metro Houston is a sub-grid of ERCOT, unlike the rest of Texas where it's regional, that can be transitioned easily into the Eastern Grid. Luckily, unlike the rest of Texas, we have a chance to join the more reliable Eastern electric grid (and become less dependent on the dictates from Austin)!
Eh, plenty other parts of the US are facing their own issues with the grid. At least our electricity is relatively cheap here.

With a generator, power outages are a minor nuisance. Not as easy to address the gripes in my original post, other than maybe to move to high ground in one of the nicer suburbs and minimize trips to the city.

Old 05-20-2022, 04:38 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 10 days ago)

8,401 posts, read 5,556,317 times
Quote:

Unlike the rest of America, Houston is a unified metro. The suburbs are simply neighborhoods of Houston.

Cinco Ranch is technically unincorporated Houston (in Fort Bend County).
The suburbs are no more or less incorporated in Houston than any other city. Saying Cypress or Katy is just like inner loop Houston is like saying San Francisco is just like San Jose.

Old 05-22-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Eh, plenty other parts of the US are facing their own issues with the grid. At least our electricity is relatively cheap here.

With a generator, power outages are a minor nuisance. Not as easy to address the gripes in my original post, other than maybe to move to high ground in one of the nicer suburbs and minimize trips to the city.
It was cheap, until the winter storm doubled the rates. Electric prices are now equal with the rest of the U.S., except we're on unreliable ERCOT's Texas-only grid instead of the reliable Eastern Interconnection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The suburbs are no more or less incorporated in Houston than any other city. Saying Cypress or Katy is just like inner loop Houston is like saying San Francisco is just like San Jose.
The forum looks down on idiots who focus on city boundaries instead of the MSAs. (Houston touts being the 4th largest city, until everybody else points out it's the 5th largest metro.)

Alief is less Houston than The Loop? How elitist! Also I would challenge you to find any differences between the unincorporated and incorporated parts of Alief.

Old 05-22-2022, 01:33 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,537,505 times
Quote:
How about Beltway 8 card? Still not fair?

Old 05-22-2022, 01:50 PM

7,712 posts, read 3,329,666 times
Quote:

I'd be more worried about Mt. St. Helens or Mt. Rainier erupting and destroying Seattle and Portland (like Pompeii). Downtown Seattle was just discovered recently to be on top of a major fault line, so earthquakes would be much worse than the typical Californian one.
Katy

I'm in Portland. Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions are a zillion times less frequent than hurricanes. The real time concern is Wildfire (this wasn't much of an issue the first 15 years I lived here).

I would not consider Seattle for some of the reasons you mention. I'd consider going to Washington near the Canadian border or Eastern Washington. Portland is positioned geographically different than Seattle. I'm over the hill from downtown Portland in the valley. Seattle is gorgeous and surrounded with water (Portland is not on a bay or coast -- it's inland 60 miles). Mt. Ranier and St. Helens are higher risk volcanos than Mt. Hood. Everyone has to worry about Yellowstone (they just don't know they do).

When I lived in Houston tornado warnings were frequent. No thanks.

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 05-22-2022 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston