Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 09:33 AM

402 posts, read 369,584 times

Advertisements

My younger sister (32), is moving to Houston in early July from the Washington DC suburbs, and reached out to me for guidance on areas in or around the city that would make sense for her. She is inclined to purchase a townhome or condo, and will be working from home, running her online business and working her corporate 9-5 out of the place she buys. Budget is $300K, and her priorities are safety and proximity to areas to meet and mingle with other singles.

River Oaks is on her list to check out when she visits next week, however any other suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 09:47 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,052,054 times
You had me curious so I played around on har.com. Used the "draw a map" tool and selected inside the 610 loop. 1000 sq feet minimum, 300K max. I got very few results. I added an area west of the loop and north of the loop and there were many more results. I think if her budget really caps at 300K she's going to have to target areas outside the loop, or look at a few limited options. Anyway I would recommend playing with har.com.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
You had me curious so I played around on har.com. Used the "draw a map" tool and selected inside the 610 loop. 1000 sq feet minimum, 300K max. I got very few results. I added an area west of the loop and north of the loop and there were many more results. I think if her budget really caps at 300K she's going to have to target areas outside the loop, or look at a few limited options. Anyway I would recommend playing with har.com.
Thanks. I believe her budget at the moment tops out at 300K. I will share the URL you mentioned.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:32 PM

332 posts, read 260,693 times
If she was able to up her budget to 350k, there would probably be some good townhome options in the Heights and Rice Military, both of which are fairly safe and have plenty of single folks her age. 300k might be tough as previous poster mentioned.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:29 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,523,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post
Budget is $300K, and her priorities are safety and proximity to areas to meet and mingle with other singles.

River Oaks is on her list to check out when she visits next week, however any other suggestions are welcome.
Haha. River Oaks is a local version of Beverly Hills with higher property taxes.
300K in Beverly Hills? Or maybe in Miami Beach? Keep dreaming.

In 2022 it's going to be harder to find something decent for 300K.
I would look in Jersey Village, west side of Spring, north side of Cypress.

Oh... the universal solution is Meadows Place.
I see some choices there, mostly houses.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:49 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
Actual River Oaks proper is single family homes that start in the 7 digits. There are some "River Oaks area" condos that could be purchased at that price point. These condos would more closely resemble apartments though, with common walls and parking lots, not private garages, etc. The River Oaks Gardens, the River Oaks condos at 4040 San Felipe, Renaissance at River Oaks at Shepherd and San Felipe.

If she's envisioning something with more of a townhome set up, private attached garage, more soundproof type firewalls between units, etc., I don't think that is going to be attainable in the River Oaks area, or much of the preferred west-side of the inner-loop, for three or under.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:13 PM

174 posts, read 411,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post
My younger sister (32), is moving to Houston in early July from the Washington DC suburbs, and reached out to me for guidance on areas in or around the city that would make sense for her. She is inclined to purchase a townhome or condo, and will be working from home, running her online business and working her corporate 9-5 out of the place she buys. Budget is $300K, and her priorities are safety and proximity to areas to meet and mingle with other singles.

I just moved here from the DC area 2 weeks ago. I bought a place near the galleria and it was more than $300k. I wish her luck on that search but I wasn't so lucky finding something at the price range. When I did find some places less than $300k my realtor said its in a very sketchy area or in a flood area.

Old 05-19-2022, 07:04 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Actual River Oaks proper is single family homes that start in the 7 digits. There are some "River Oaks area" condos that could be purchased at that price point. These condos would more closely resemble apartments though, with common walls and parking lots, not private garages, etc. The River Oaks Gardens, the River Oaks condos at 4040 San Felipe, Renaissance at River Oaks at Shepherd and San Felipe.
Just to clarify, the River Oaks condos are at 3433 Westheimer, and are seven figures and up. The River Oaks Townhomes are at 4040 San Felipe.

I would get a realtor who specializes in inner city, and work with them. There are pockets of value all around, and a realtor will know what's good & bad.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:56 AM

Just to note - she is not looking just in River Oaks. It appears the thread starting spiraling in that direction solely.

Old 05-19-2022, 01:01 PM

1,952 posts, read 828,379 times
300k will not get you anywhere near River Oaks.

With that budget, she will be lucky to find a house out in the burbs like Cypress, Katy or maybe Spring.

The inner city is not the safest part of Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: