Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 11:55 AM

10 posts, read 9,148 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are considering a move to Texas and would like a new construction home on a decent size lot. Say 1/2 acre +

Is this uncommon? Most lots seem to be quite small. Are there any new communities with larger lots available?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 12:12 PM

5,634 posts, read 4,960,435 times
Larger lot developments have become fairly uncommon within metro areas because they are not financially attractive for the developers. Generally you'll only find them on the outskirts or in exurban areas beyond suburbia. And the lot prices may still be pretty high.

You may have better luck finding options in smaller metro areas, not the major Texas Triangle metros of DFW, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:06 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,799,691 times
The general trend as you move outwards through the west and NW suburbs is that the lots get smaller and the original homes get bigger.

About your only option for a new build on a 1/2+ acre lot in the Houston area would be a high-end home in the Memorial Villages or River Oaks.

OTOH, do you *really* want 1/2 acre+? You'll spend a fortune to keep it mowed and watered. Water charges will be going up sharply over the next few years in most of the Houston area.

Most new-home buyers are happy with a 1/6 - 1/4 acre lot in a suburb with a nice neighborhood park/amenities center that the HOA takes care of.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:17 PM

92 posts, read 113,211 times
There are indeed communities (sub-divisions, perhaps) with larger lots in Texas. Just depends on where you want to live. You won't find them everywhere. We lived on a 1.1 acre lot, in a sub-division where the lots range between one and five acres. You probably already know that a place that is going to be expensive.

If you want to narrow down the areas a bit, someone might be able to tell you a sub-division/CDP that has what you want. Texas is a really big place. The Houston metropolitan area is also quite large.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:59 AM

We are retiring to Texas so we are open to suggestions. The main two requirements we have is new construction and 1+ acres. Since those two requirements together seem hard to find we would consider any area.

Thank you in advance.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:22 AM

313 posts, read 283,103 times
What’s your budget? Do you want Houston the city or the suburbs too? Right off hand I would suggest Lakes of Fairhaven in Cypress. Big houses on big lots, relatively new development. It’s very family friendly. Close to retail, hospitals, good schools. There’s Saddle Ridge and Bridle Oak Estates with big lots and big new houses. They’re pricey but you can have a horse, cow, barn, tractor and still get to a grocery store in 5 minutes.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:25 AM

92 posts, read 113,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias1fan View Post
We are retiring to Texas so we are open to suggestions. The main two requirements we have is new construction and 1+ acres. Since those two requirements together seem hard to find we would consider any area.

Thank you in advance.
Those two requirements are not that hard to find in College Station. I know of at least four subdivisions that would suit you, although I'm not sure if there is any un-built sites left in Williams Creek. I believe that there might be a few un-sold lots in the gated section of Williams Creek. Be aware that the lots there that are sold, which range from 1-5 acres, have $million+ homes on them. At any rate, you should check out that area if you get a chance. There are actually a lot of retirees in the area, a great many of which are A&M graduates. It is a conservative college town (a rarity, it seems....), which comes with its good points and bad. A place called King Oaks has very large lots, which I believe run 1-5 acres. It is very quiet out there, as it lies just outside of the city. But the entrance is on Hwy 30, so it is still close enough to the city that be at a large grocery store, Lowe's, and a number of restaurants in about a 15 minute drive. Another place to investigate is called Indian Lakes, and is located in south College Station. I know the lots there are very large, but not sure if they go to one acre.

NW Harris county has areas to look at, and possibly SW Harris county too if you like mosquitos, flooding, and alligators. Also investigate NW Bexar county, between San Antonio and Boerne (probably out past Boerne too - that area is really growing). There are also some places in NE Bexar county/Comal county too. I remember seeing some places off of 3009, west of I-35 too. My brother's house sits on a 1.5 acre lot in a nice sub-division between Natural Bridge Caverns (on 3009) and Canyon Lake. Those places are out there. They are just spread throughout TX, so it will take quite a while to see a lot of them. Good luck in your search.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:38 AM

313 posts, read 283,103 times
I agree with Caladan. There are other places in the Houston area and in Texas I can think of but without knowing more specifics from OP it’s hard to narrow down and offer suggestions.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:55 AM

Thank you all for the great information. I will check it all out. Our max budget on a new home is 2 mil. We don't want to go above that. Definitely need to be in the burbs as we are not city people. We are conservative so areas that lean conservative would probably be a best fit for us.

Thanks again for all the information so far. You've all been a big help!!

Old 06-18-2022, 10:20 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,533,944 times
Montgomery County is a good fit.
Few years ago I saw plenty 1-2 acre lots.
With existing houses, but within your budget you can demolish and build new.
Semi-rural, but close to everything including the international airport.
One of the most conservative counties around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston