Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 08:09 PM

15,476 posts, read 7,522,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
It's 2022, just google it. Look for crime maps. There are several out there which show what I'm talking about like this one.

Houston:https://crimegrade.org/property-crime-houston-tx-metro/
DFW: https://crimegrade.org/property-crime-dallas-tx-metro/
Those crimegrade.org maps are total BS. It shows the Barker Reservoir as having a high crime rate per 1000 residents. No one lives there. There's nothing on their methodology, and the site appears to be a shill site for security companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 08:28 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,983,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Those crimegrade.org maps are total BS. It shows the Barker Reservoir as having a high crime rate per 1000 residents. No one lives there. There's nothing on their methodology, and the site appears to be a shill site for security companies.
People definitely live in those apartments in Park 10 thats included in that orange shade. But if you have a better map please post it

Old 07-18-2022, 09:26 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,083,316 times
Quote:
Nah, it's reality. They get recorded crime data. Even the FBI statistics shows that Chicago a place notorious for crime is safer than Houston (and DFW) as well especially in it's suburbs. The main issue is the hyper-concentration in the West and South sides of the city. The only metro areas as dangerous as Houston metro wide and with suburbs as dangerous are Miami and Atlanta all the other major metros tend to have lower suburban metro-wide crime rates.

I posted these stats a few years back, that Houston has a suburban crime problem and this is with Houston having massive city-limits. If the city limits were just the inner loop, Houston would have the most dangerous suburbs in the nation. No zoning directly contributes to that.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:55 PM

15,476 posts, read 7,522,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Nah, it's reality. They get recorded crime data. Even the FBI statistics shows that Chicago a place notorious for crime is safer than Houston (and DFW) as well especially in it's suburbs. The main issue is the hyper-concentration in the West and South sides of the city. The only metro areas as dangerous as Houston metro wide and with suburbs as dangerous are Miami and Atlanta all the other major metros tend to have lower suburban metro-wide crime rates.

I posted these stats a few years back, that Houston has a suburban crime problem and this is with Houston having massive city-limits. If the city limits were just the inner loop, Houston would have the most dangerous suburbs in the nation. No zoning directly contributes to that.
How does no zoning contribute to crime?

Old 07-18-2022, 10:00 PM

5,623 posts, read 4,953,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
BS, Houston's no zoning is a joke. You're always using the "Poor Card" when trying to justify this garbage.
Truly "incompatible" uses, like industries using toxic chemicals vs. just about any other use, can be subject to other forms of regulation than land use zoning.

So what do you want out of zoning? What benefit is there for the government to say, "this shall go here, that shall go there, we can't let apartments happen near single family, we can't let taller buildings near single family," etc. etc.? Or that "We can't let businesses open in such-and-such an area - there's people in single family homes." Or, "We can't let these single family homes become a pack of townhomes." Or, "The government wants more commercial, so we're not going to let developers build homes there." You know what? There ISN'T a benefit. Because there's no logical argument for the government to be deciding any of those things. It is a MASSIVE intrusion by government into the private market that isn't justified.

However, for politicians, there is a benefit, because they get to pander to single family homeowners who have $ and vote, and furthermore, they get to be bought off by developers who want zoning changes.

And before any of you state that the government SHOULD be pandering to single family homeowners over all other property owners, taxpayers, and citizens (because in my experience there's lots of folks, especially single family homeowners who think exactly that) - no, you're totally wrong. That mentality is why zoning is used, over and over and over, to keep out uses from communities that cater to the "wrong people." Why communities enact unjustifiable minimum lot size requirements in their zoning, because they claim it's "wrong" to have small lot homes or apartments sharing the same community as larger lot homes, especially if the kids from small lot homes or apartments would go to the same schools as the kids from the larger lot homes. Again, this happens over and over and over again, especially in suburbs.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
How does no zoning contribute to crime?
Exactly, people in this forum keep claiming that, but no one has said why they think that.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
People definitely live in those apartments in Park 10 thats included in that orange shade. But if you have a better map please post it
I honestly don't see what you're seeing in these maps, no matter what their accuracy is. Houston's suburbs have lots of green areas, as green as what you see in DFW. Meanwhile, look at Plano, Frisco, etc. Hardly uninterrupted green expanses.

Old 07-19-2022, 08:45 AM

4,391 posts, read 4,632,186 times
Quote:
It's 2022, just google it. Look for crime maps. There are several out there which show what I'm talking about like this one.

Houston:https://crimegrade.org/property-crime-houston-tx-metro/
DFW: https://crimegrade.org/property-crime-dallas-tx-metro/
DFW has a C and Houston has a D. A crime happens every 2 minutes in DFW while a crime happens every 1 minute in Houston. I wouldn't write home about either metro to be honest.

I mean judging from the map I'm safer in Katy than I would be in one of the most sought after burbs such as Plano or Frisco. I would have expected a higher grade than that.

DFW is no Boston and if I'm judging Houston by this map it doesn't look that much different than other metros people are speaking highly about. If you live in the areas closer to 99( Cypress/Katy/ Richmond/ Sugarland/ Kingwood/ The Woodlands/ even Pearland you seem to experience little to no crime.

I'm not suggesting Houston doesn't have problem but based off the maps it doesn't look that uniquely different than most metros listed on that site. Hell, LA and Miami look worse than Houston metro.

Old 07-19-2022, 11:24 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,983,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
DFW has a C and Houston has a D. A crime happens every 2 minutes in DFW while a crime happens every 1 minute in Houston. I wouldn't write home about either metro to be honest.

I mean judging from the map I'm safer in Katy than I would be in one of the most sought after burbs such as Plano or Frisco. I would have expected a higher grade than that.

DFW is no Boston and if I'm judging Houston by this map it doesn't look that much different than other metros people are speaking highly about. If you live in the areas closer to 99( Cypress/Katy/ Richmond/ Sugarland/ Kingwood/ The Woodlands/ even Pearland you seem to experience little to no crime.

I'm not suggesting Houston doesn't have problem but based off the maps it doesn't look that uniquely different than most metros listed on that site. Hell, LA and Miami look worse than Houston metro.
I'm not sure how they determined their grades. I disagree that LA look worse, especially for violent crime. It's more concentrated to the LA Basin and certain IE hot spots. The crime data backs this up. Miami though, along with Atlanta, are most like Houston when it comes to metro wide crime.

This crimegrade site isn't the best, but does paint a picture that is backed up by overall crime data. And to NigerianNightmare's point, the police presence in DFW feels thicker going between all the different municipalities. They pretty much all have city departments and they show it.

Old 07-19-2022, 12:00 PM

4,391 posts, read 4,632,186 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how they determined their grades. I disagree that LA look worse, especially for violent crime. It's more concentrated to the LA Basin and certain IE hot spots. The crime data backs this up. Miami though, along with Atlanta, are most like Houston when it comes to metro wide crime.

This crimegrade site isn't the best, but does paint a picture that is backed up by overall crime data. And to NigerianNightmare's point, the police presence in DFW feels thicker going between all the different municipalities. They pretty much all have city departments and they show it.
I mean both are graded D with LA being rated a D-. Seems like splitting hairs at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston