Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-19-2022, 11:30 AM
 
3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Reputation: 4888

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
If only it were just a slogan. Several large cities such as Baltimore and NYC actually did reduce funding to their police departments and then scrambled to "refund" them after a crime wave. It's a false narrative that only the extreme left wanted to defund the police. It was a significant movement that took hold through much of the Democratic party. It proved to be a huge failure and ultimately a major political liability (thus the need for revisionist history).


https://www.wsj.com/articles/cities-...me-11622066307
Yep, facts, and I remember arguing about it with friends, family, colleagues, etc. as well as on the internet at the time. All the revisionist history going on now is predictable - no one wants to own what was a plainly stupid strategy now that its been exposed as such.

If they weren't so committed to just hating the police regardless of what they do and were actually invested in fixing the problem, they would have supported the opposite. You don't get better people in any industry by giving them *less* resources. If you want to attract better people, make the job more attractive - pay them better, pay for better training, pay for better recruiting of better people, and pay for more resources to help them. It won't solve the problem completely but will attract a better caliber of person to be a police officer which should lead to better outcomes over time. Paying any Joe Schmoe off the street $30K to be an entry-level cop in small town Texas doesn't bring in the best and brightest.

Of course, that actually involves the rest of us having to sacrifice through increased taxes to pay for better police, and that's the real conversation neither party really wants to have (the Republicans in particular).

 
Old 07-19-2022, 11:44 AM
 
18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Reputation: 16832
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Defund the police makes no sense in the Houston area because as far as I'm concerned police are a mythical creature in Harris and Fort Bend counties. Fort Bend is safe regardless of the low police presence. You can drive the whole day in NW Harris County and never see a police officer, that's impossible in most major cities, I've found out the more I travel.
I’ve been saying that for years
Defund what police? You never see them anywhere
 
Old 07-19-2022, 12:23 PM
 
3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Reputation: 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Defund the police makes no sense in the Houston area because as far as I'm concerned police are a mythical creature in Harris and Fort Bend counties. Fort Bend is safe regardless of the low police presence. You can drive the whole day in NW Harris County and never see a police officer, that's impossible in most major cities, I've found out the more I travel.
Lol yep. My boss (lives in Dallas via San Francisco and Canada) always jokes that Houston is the only place he's been to in the US where he has never seen a cop on the side of the road running traffic. I can't help but laugh because I've lived here for 20+ years combined and seen a cop running traffic maybe 5-10 times in my life anywhere in the metro. The only place I think I've ever seen cops running traffic more than once is on the Katy Freeway and that's been years.

Living in Virginia and Maryland you'd see more than that in a week.They loved running traffic in Austin when I lived there and you'd definitely see them in the DFW area when I lived there too.

And in DC, forget about it - they don't really run traffic there either, but cops are EVERYWHERE.
 
Old 07-19-2022, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Unplugged from the matrix
4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Reputation: 5126
Not surprised to see the revisionist history on "Defund the Police". It's been a giant theme, revisionist history, for the last 30 months especially. Defund the police was a dumb statement and moderate Dems let the loud fringe wing of the party run with this message, and then many of the moderates accepted the message as to not look "out of touch" or to "be woke". Now it's hard to put that back in a bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Lol yep. My boss (lives in Dallas via San Francisco and Canada) always jokes that Houston is the only place he's been to in the US where he has never seen a cop on the side of the road running traffic. I can't help but laugh because I've lived here for 20+ years combined and seen a cop running traffic maybe 5-10 times in my life anywhere in the metro. The only place I think I've ever seen cops running traffic more than once is on the Katy Freeway and that's been years.

Living in Virginia and Maryland you'd see more than that in a week.They loved running traffic in Austin when I lived there and you'd definitely see them in the DFW area when I lived there too.

And in DC, forget about it - they don't really run traffic there either, but cops are EVERYWHERE.
The reason they don't run traffic in DC is because they have speed cameras everywhere that do the ticketing for them.

The Katy Freeway always has cops (HC Constables) in my experience. It's the only freeway in Houston like this though and they always are on the tollway, not the mainlanes. You'll see at least one at a toll booth between 610 and Highway 6. They are often just in there chillin, but sometimes running speed. Come to think of it, I don't really see them when in DFW either, and if there is a cop pulling folks over it's usually a State Trooper. Perhaps traffic ticketing is just not really a thing like it used to be.
 
Old 07-19-2022, 12:38 PM
 
23,960 posts, read 15,066,841 times
Reputation: 12938
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Not surprised to see the revisionist history on "Defund the Police". It's been a giant theme, revisionist history, for the last 30 months especially. Defund the police was a dumb statement and moderate Dems let the loud fringe wing of the party run with this message, and then many of the moderates accepted the message as to not look "out of touch" or to "be woke". Now it's hard to put that back in a bottle.



The reason they don't run traffic in DC is because they have speed cameras everywhere that do the ticketing for them.

The Katy Freeway always has cops (HC Constables) in my experience. It's the only freeway in Houston like this though and they always are on the tollway, not the mainlanes. You'll see at least one at a toll booth between 610 and Highway 6. They are often just in there chillin, but sometimes running speed. Come to think of it, I don't really see them when in DFW either, and if there is a cop pulling folks over it's usually a State Trooper. Perhaps traffic ticketing is just not really a thing like it used to be.
I am aware of 2 LEOs who were killed doing traffic stops. One was a broken tail light. If I were a cop I'd sure think twice before stopping a car for a minor infraction. IMO, the county should just notify the offender by mail. After all, the object is to have the safety features on the car in working order.
 
Old 07-19-2022, 03:00 PM
 
15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Reputation: 19337
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I am aware of 2 LEOs who were killed doing traffic stops. One was a broken tail light. If I were a cop I'd sure think twice before stopping a car for a minor infraction. IMO, the county should just notify the offender by mail. After all, the object is to have the safety features on the car in working order.
Sending notices by mail like that would also cut down pretext stops by a huge amount, reducing the chances of bad LEO-citizen interactions.
 
Old 07-19-2022, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Katy,TX.
4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
Reputation: 4014
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Sending notices by mail like that would also cut down pretext stops by a huge amount, reducing the chances of bad LEO-citizen interactions.
lol, give me a break you'll be the first one screaming "how can they prove who was driving"?
 
Old 07-19-2022, 06:05 PM
 
3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Reputation: 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I am aware of 2 LEOs who were killed doing traffic stops. One was a broken tail light. If I were a cop I'd sure think twice before stopping a car for a minor infraction. IMO, the county should just notify the offender by mail. After all, the object is to have the safety features on the car in working order.
Yeah agreed, I would not want to stop a car on any of Houston's freeways frankly. I'm terrified for folks I see pulled over on the side of the road changing spare tires and stuff. People do not pay attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Not surprised to see the revisionist history on "Defund the Police". It's been a giant theme, revisionist history, for the last 30 months especially. Defund the police was a dumb statement and moderate Dems let the loud fringe wing of the party run with this message, and then many of the moderates accepted the message as to not look "out of touch" or to "be woke". Now it's hard to put that back in a bottle.



The reason they don't run traffic in DC is because they have speed cameras everywhere that do the ticketing for them.

The Katy Freeway always has cops (HC Constables) in my experience. It's the only freeway in Houston like this though and they always are on the tollway, not the mainlanes. You'll see at least one at a toll booth between 610 and Highway 6. They are often just in there chillin, but sometimes running speed. Come to think of it, I don't really see them when in DFW either, and if there is a cop pulling folks over it's usually a State Trooper. Perhaps traffic ticketing is just not really a thing like it used to be.
Those speed cameras are straight up abusive the way that DC implements them. Hundreds of dollars for 5 over on limited access expressways. Ridiculous money grab.

Your comment about state troopers made me think of something. I rarely see them in Houston city limits period (and not all that much in the burbs), but I used to see them quite a bit in Austin and at a decent clip in DFW as well. Is that y'alls experience as well and if so, I wonder why that is?
 
Old 07-19-2022, 06:36 PM
 
15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Reputation: 19337
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
lol, give me a break you'll be the first one screaming "how can they prove who was driving"?
No I won't. I supported red light cameras, and the concept that if the owner of the vehicle wasn't driving, they can either identify who was, or pay the civil penalty. That's how it's done in other countries I've lived in, and it works.
 
Old 07-19-2022, 06:39 PM
 
15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Reputation: 19337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Yeah agreed, I would not want to stop a car on any of Houston's freeways frankly. I'm terrified for folks I see pulled over on the side of the road changing spare tires and stuff. People do not pay attention.



Those speed cameras are straight up abusive the way that DC implements them. Hundreds of dollars for 5 over on limited access expressways. Ridiculous money grab.
Anyone who stops on a freeway to change a tire is not thinking clearly. Either limp to the next exit, or pull over to the shoulder, put on the 4 way flashers, get out of the car, and move 50 -100 yards away. I can't believe the number of people I see standing between cars on the shoulder. That's an excellent way to die.

If you know the speed cameras are set for 5 over, then don't speed. It is that simple. No worse than Maryland and Virginia State Police doing the same thing with radar, or the days when Virginia would confiscate radar detectors from out of state drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:07 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top