Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2022, 07:33 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Lol yep. My boss (lives in Dallas via San Francisco and Canada) always jokes that Houston is the only place he's been to in the US where he has never seen a cop on the side of the road running traffic. I can't help but laugh because I've lived here for 20+ years combined and seen a cop running traffic maybe 5-10 times in my life anywhere in the metro. The only place I think I've ever seen cops running traffic more than once is on the Katy Freeway and that's been years.

Living in Virginia and Maryland you'd see more than that in a week.They loved running traffic in Austin when I lived there and you'd definitely see them in the DFW area when I lived there too.

And in DC, forget about it - they don't really run traffic there either, but cops are EVERYWHERE.
Almost...I see police in two places: 1) BW8 cops hiding out on ramps with low visibility to ticket speeders. 2) Private business that pay extra for police as added security or traffic control.

That's about it.

Old 07-19-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
No I won't. I supported red light cameras, and the concept that if the owner of the vehicle wasn't driving, they can either identify who was, or pay the civil penalty. That's how it's done in other countries I've lived in, and it works.
Red light cameras in Texas INCREASE accidents. There's the sensible driver who stops at the yellow to avoid the tickets, and they get rear ended by someone racing to get through who cannot react quickly enough to stop. I'd get stressed at red light cameras as there'd be a big truck riding my tail, so thought it better to get a ticket than get hit or shot.

Sad but true. Happy they got rid of the red light cameras here.

Old 07-19-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
That’s something I’ve noticed after moving here years ago. Too many hands in the cookie jar, it’s like the wild Wild West when it comes to civil services in the Houston area.
Wild west or a third world country. Take your pick.

Old 07-19-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Yep, facts, and I remember arguing about it with friends, family, colleagues, etc. as well as on the internet at the time. All the revisionist history going on now is predictable - no one wants to own what was a plainly stupid strategy now that its been exposed as such.

If they weren't so committed to just hating the police regardless of what they do and were actually invested in fixing the problem, they would have supported the opposite. You don't get better people in any industry by giving them *less* resources. If you want to attract better people, make the job more attractive - pay them better, pay for better training, pay for better recruiting of better people, and pay for more resources to help them. It won't solve the problem completely but will attract a better caliber of person to be a police officer which should lead to better outcomes over time. Paying any Joe Schmoe off the street $30K to be an entry-level cop in small town Texas doesn't bring in the best and brightest.

Of course, that actually involves the rest of us having to sacrifice through increased taxes to pay for better police, and that's the real conversation neither party really wants to have (the Republicans in particular).
THIS!! I'm a moderate that would love to see Democrats and Republicans listen to each other and work together. We need to invest in the police, make them better, and get tough on crime and bond for criminals that cause harm to people, especially violent repeat offenders, and fund treatment for "criminals" that case harm to themselves but are not a danger to other people.

Old 07-19-2022, 10:13 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Red light cameras in Texas INCREASE accidents. There's the sensible driver who stops at the yellow to avoid the tickets, and they get rear ended by someone racing to get through who cannot react quickly enough to stop. I'd get stressed at red light cameras as there'd be a big truck riding my tail, so thought it better to get a ticket than get hit or shot.

Sad but true. Happy they got rid of the red light cameras here.
That's ridiculous. I never had a problem stopping at intersections with a camera, and you cannot control the person behind you. I stop on short yellows now. If I get hit, I get hit, and then own the idiot who hit me.

Now, I do think that giving a vendor a chunk of the proceeds from the cameras is ridiculous. Buy the cameras outright, and then administer them with the police or some other City entity. The people who voted against the cameras, and the Republicans in the Legislature that banned them, just love running red lights, I guess. Jerks. It doesn't help that Houston is short something like 1,000 police, but no one wants to pay for more.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:18 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
THIS!! I'm a moderate that would love to see Democrats and Republicans listen to each other and work together. We need to invest in the police, make them better, and get tough on crime and bond for criminals that cause harm to people, especially violent repeat offenders, and fund treatment for "criminals" that case harm to themselves but are not a danger to other people.
We'd all love to see it but dems and repubs are a uniparty playing each side like a crime. I dont even know if they want things to get better. Theres a lot of money to be made in chaos.

Old 07-25-2022, 05:21 PM

550 posts, read 368,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Sure, bring back Emmett who is pro toll roads and in favor of keeping the astrodome wasting tax dollars
Actually, the Astrodome is a perfect example of Hidalgo’s incompetence. She said she has no interest in it so it sits there - a decaying expense for the taxpayers.

Emmet had a plan to try to make it revenue producing. Would it have worked? Who knows. At least it was something.

Now all we do is pay minimum for security and maintenance so it doesn’t become the world’s large meth den. Harris county still has liability for it and needs insurance.

After 4 years, she has done nothing; has offered no ideas. The Astrodome shouldn’t be left to create a blight in its neighborhood.

Houston deserves better than Hidalgo.

Old 07-25-2022, 05:25 PM

550 posts, read 368,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Sure, bring back Emmett who is pro toll roads and in favor of keeping the astrodome wasting tax dollars
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
No, Mealer is an utter moron mouthing right wing talking points. The County Judge has little influence on how bail is set. That's up to County and District Court judges.

Mealer may want more boots on the ground, but I haven't heard one word on where she thinks the money will come from.
Hidalgo took credit for ‘bail reform’ even though she had next to nothing to do with it. Search the Chronicle for her BS self congratulations.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:14 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
Actually, the Astrodome is a perfect example of Hidalgo’s incompetence. She said she has no interest in it so it sits there - a decaying expense for the taxpayers.
https://houston.culturemap.com/news/...adrian-garcia/

In 2018, thanks to efforts by then Harris County Judge Ed Emmett, the Harris County Commissioners court approved a $105 million project that would transform Houston’s beloved Astrodome into an event center. The project was met with praise by politicians, sports fans, and longtime locals.

Yet a year later, as CultureMap reported, that plan ended as Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo questioned if the $105 million plan, “is fiscally responsible, that it will actually, with the funds committed to it, that it will actually get us to a point where the Astrodome is self-sustaining.”

https://houston.sportsmap.com/astrod...-harris-county

Factors working against the Conservancy resurrecting the Dome as a thriving, functioning facility are many. The group would have to develop a plan that will convince private corporations to fork over as much as $500,000 to convert the Dome into a … what? That's the big question the Conservancy hopes to have answered by the public.

The Conservancy has met with Judge Hidalgo, who didn't budge on her lack of interest in renovating the Dome, and certainly doesn't want to spend one penny of taxpayer money on any such project. However, according to Conservancy officials, Hidalgo gave the Conservancy her blessing to poll the public and try to seek private funding to support whatever project may be feasible.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:46 AM

8,321 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post

Emmet had a plan to try to make it revenue producing. Would it have worked? Who knows. At least it was something.

Now all we do is pay minimum for security and maintenance so it doesn’t become the world’s large meth den. Harris county still has liability for it and needs insurance.

After 4 years, she has done nothing; has offered no ideas. The Astrodome shouldn’t be left to create a blight in its neighborhood.

Houston deserves better than Hidalgo.
Considering that shes done an excellent job on spending on flood control mitigation, I could give a crap about the Astrodome. The Astrodome shouldnt be in her top 25 of priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston