Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 10:36 AM

1,168 posts, read 780,012 times

Advertisements

I think the most important difference between the two is DFW's superior infrastructure. Its more developed transit system and extensive freeway network make it much easier to get around. Everything else will be a matter of personal preference/taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 11:10 AM

694 posts, read 837,722 times
Being close to the coast, fishing, fresh shrimp and crabs, beach weekends. That is a big part of our lives here (maybe not for you) that would miss that If I had to live in Dallas.

Old 07-18-2022, 12:23 PM

332 posts, read 262,012 times
Folks on both sides don't like to hear it, but Houston and Dallas have much more similarities than differences

Old 07-18-2022, 12:29 PM

9,925 posts, read 6,634,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
Folks on both sides don't like to hear it, but Houston and Dallas have much more similarities than differences
Exactly. OP is better off leaving Texas as a whole. Or atleast checking out San Antonio or Austin for something entirely different. Perhaps even Corpus Christi.

Old 07-18-2022, 01:12 PM

225 posts, read 136,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Houston has better weather
I would strongly disagree with that statement. I have grown up in Houston and have spent a fair amount of time in Dallas suburbs (Plano and Frisco). It's noticeably less humid in DFW which makes it much more comfortable to sit outside during the summer. Evenings are very nice there too. The trade-off is the winters are colder. I would easily take that trade-off.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:30 PM

3,181 posts, read 2,064,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
I would strongly disagree with that statement. I have grown up in Houston and have spent a fair amount of time in Dallas suburbs (Plano and Frisco). It's noticeably less humid in DFW which makes it much more comfortable to sit outside during the summer. Evenings are very nice there too. The trade-off is the winters are colder. I would easily take that trade-off.
It's definitely a personal preference. Right this second in Houston at 3:19 PM its 95 degrees with 40% humidity and a feels like temp of 101. Right now in Dallas its 107 degrees with 25% humidity and a feels like temp of 113. I'll take that trade.

People love to talk about how much worse it is in Houston, but I lived in Dallas before (albeit, during one of the hottest summers in Texas of my lifetime) and there are honestly plenty of summertime days that are worse up there. Hell, I just came back from DFW three weeks ago. When I took off from DFW Airport it was 103 degrees and miserable, when I touched down in Houston an hour later it was 93 degrees and slightly less miserable. I don't think they are very different at all in the summertime personally. It's a little more humid here, and a little hotter there.

The bigger difference in weather is definitely during the winter - it is significantly cooler up there. Many like it - I don't.

Overall though the differences between actually living in both areas aren't much from a practical perspective. Houston is a bit more worldly and cosmopolitan, more urban, grittier, has slightly worse traffic, quirkier, a little cheaper and a more laid back vibe. Dallas is cleaner and more orderly, slightly easier to get around, more buttoned up and formal, a little more expensive, and a bit more provincial overall. Both have great food, lots to do, and an upbeat, growth-oriented vibe with lots of young people.

Most people from elsewhere in the country will either like both or dislike both as they are more similar than different all things considered.

Old 07-18-2022, 03:04 PM

1,168 posts, read 780,012 times
In July, Dallas is a whopping 3° hotter than Houston on average, and both cities have tons of concrete and a lack of shade trees which only exacerbates the heat even further. The mean temp year round also only sees a 3° difference between the two -- I think weather is one area they're far more alike than different: hot, humid summers with mild sometimes chilly winters.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/houston/climate

Old 07-18-2022, 03:11 PM

225 posts, read 136,569 times
https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/9...ton-and-Dallas

This is a good comparison of Houston and Dallas in terms of weather. Significant differences - Dallas is colder in winter, Houston is muggier in the summer.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:28 PM

647 posts, read 1,524,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Exactly. OP is better off leaving Texas as a whole. Or atleast checking out San Antonio or Austin for something entirely different. Perhaps even Corpus Christi.
I hate Austin - lived there for 6 years and it's probably my least favorite city. I do like Dallas but I want to move and I'm not exactly looking for a place that's really different than Dallas.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,503,023 times
when I first came to Houston,one guy from Dallas said Dont bring your Houston idea to DAllas,it wont work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston