Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 04:56 PM

1,168 posts, read 781,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/9...ton-and-Dallas

This is a good comparison of Houston and Dallas in terms of weather. Significant differences - Dallas is colder in winter, Houston is muggier in the summer.
Again, if we look at the coldest month of the year for both metros, you're only seeing a 7° difference between the two. Which suggests that if it's 31 in Dallas then it's possibly 38 in Houston. I just don't think that counts as significant for most people.

Houston does receive much more rainfall throughout the year. That's worth considering and it's the only reason I prefer its weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 07:11 PM

4,753 posts, read 2,988,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Again, if we look at the coldest month of the year for both metros, you're only seeing a 7° difference between the two. Which suggests that if it's 31 in Dallas then it's possibly 38 in Houston. I just don't think that counts as significant for most people.

Houston does receive much more rainfall throughout the year. That's worth considering and it's the only reason I prefer its weather.
That's literally the difference between being just really cold and below freezing. Wet roads vs icy roads. In the wintertime those 7 degrees can make a big difference.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:13 PM

9,949 posts, read 6,659,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
That's literally the difference between being just really cold and below freezing. Wet roads vs icy roads. In the wintertime those 7 degrees can make a big difference.
I thought the same thing. 7 degrees not a big difference? In what world?

Old 07-18-2022, 07:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 781,432 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I thought the same thing. 7 degrees not a big difference? In what world?
If it's below freezing, which it usually isn't and when it does it's mostly late at night when the majority of people are at home anyway.

While places like Chicago or New York are likely to be 20° colder and Miami is that much warmer, no I don't think the difference between Dallas and Houston matters to anyone that's lived outside of the south central U.S.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:43 PM

4,753 posts, read 2,988,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
If it's below freezing, which it usually isn't and when it does it's mostly late at night when the majority of people are at home anyway.

While places like Chicago or New York are likely to be 20° colder and Miami is that much warmer, no I don't think the difference between Dallas and Houston matters to anyone that's lived outside of the south central U.S.
Even though both have generally similar weather there is one season that can see more differences than usual and that is winter. I liken it to SoCal and how in the summer the coastal cities can be 30 degrees cooler than cities in the Inland Empire. But in the winter the weather doesnt vary nearly as much.

The opposite is true in Texas. DFW can get several ice storms in one winter whereas Houston will get none. But rarely a summer goes by that DFW doesnt get thunderstorms just like Houston.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:03 PM

15,549 posts, read 7,571,500 times
Quote:
Even though both have generally similar weather there is one season that can see more differences than usual and that is winter. I liken it to SoCal and how in the summer the coastal cities can be 30 degrees cooler than cities in the Inland Empire. But in the winter the weather doesnt vary nearly as much.

The opposite is true in Texas. DFW can get several ice storms in one winter whereas Houston will get none. But rarely a summer goes by that DFW doesnt get thunderstorms just like Houston.
DFW tends to get more tornadoes than Houston. DFW heat is more brutal than Houston's.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:54 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,227,112 times
there are more ideas floating around in Dallas due to corporate relocations - you see things in Dallas you dont see anywhere else in Texas - the Dallas burbs are way more aggressive than Houston in terms of attracting venues -

there is no Frisco equivalent in Houston - and I mean a burb that grew overnight with the ability to attract pro sports and minor league teams within a few years -

Grand Prairie has a minor league team and nice music venue - Dallas has that - Fort Worth has Dickies - Arlington has the Cowboys/Rangers - Duncanville has a lock on youth sports in terms of facilities like basketball - you have the Toyota Music place in Irving - you have Great Wolfe Lodge/Gaylord in Grapevine, etc.

Sugar Land wants to be a certain type of city and frowns on multifamily living but its a glorified bedroom community with minor league baseball and a nice concert venue

Missouri City is a bedroom community
Pearland is a bedroom community
The Woodlands has the music pavilion for summer events and decent amenities but is too far for the average person
Humble, Spring, Cypress, etc. have really nothing to hang their hats on except a glorified suburban area

Galveston honestly if it ever got its act together is the equalizer as the beach is the attraction

Old 07-19-2022, 12:34 AM

647 posts, read 1,525,459 times
Ugh, I wish I would've specified in the original post/title that I'm only interesting in comparing the city propers and NOT their suburbs.

Old 07-19-2022, 06:31 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,641,846 times
Biggest differences in the city proper?

1) Dallas has a more reliable rail system available.

2) Houston imo tends to have more ethnically diverse integrated spaces in the city(not residentially but socially)

3) Houston's sporting venues are all located in the city proper, Dallas not so.

4) Houston has no answer to Uptown Dallas nor Deep Ellum

Those are about the biggest differences I can think of. Houston and Dallas city proper wise are more alike than they are different though.

Old 07-19-2022, 07:04 AM

24,035 posts, read 15,144,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Biggest differences in the city proper?

1) Dallas has a more reliable rail system available.

2) Houston imo tends to have more ethnically diverse integrated spaces in the city(not residentially but socially)

3) Houston's sporting venues are all located in the city proper, Dallas not so.

4) Houston has no answer to Uptown Dallas nor Deep Ellum

Those are about the biggest differences I can think of. Houston and Dallas city proper wise are more alike than they are different though.
We could use the pool a month longer in Dallas. Pretty much Easter to Thanksgiving.

It is easier to get around in Dallas, driving wise.

Alley ways for garage and trash cans. And the city of Dallas picks up tree trimmings once a month. Put any size or length on the curb, no bundling in 4 foot sections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston