Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 04:52 AM

7,895 posts, read 11,455,633 times

Advertisements

Looking at temperatures is flawed too as humidity levels are a big deal which is why summer temps in Dallas can and often exceed Houston's. Houston air is moist so it takes a lot more heat to get to a higher temperature. Humidity is a big part of the difference story to me, I find my fav days in Dallas are those crisp cool fall or early spring days when the temp is cool and humidity levels very low in Dallas. in my 30 pls years living in Houston I do not recall those days happening often if at all.

I chuckled at the alley differences' which are real thought I live in Plano without an alley and lived in Energy corridor decades on an alley. I did not like alley living despite our alley being paved and wide enough that two vehicles could pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 06:37 AM

227 posts, read 138,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Looking at temperatures is flawed too as humidity levels are a big deal which is why summer temps in Dallas can and often exceed Houston's. Houston air is moist so it takes a lot more heat to get to a higher temperature. Humidity is a big part of the difference story to me, I find my fav days in Dallas are those crisp cool fall or early spring days when the temp is cool and humidity levels very low in Dallas. in my 30 pls years living in Houston I do not recall those days happening often if at all.
Very true. Moisture in the air acts like a temperature buffer in both directions. Dallas temperatures may be hotter at times during the day, but will feel less muggy. Dallas summer evenings are cooler as the air cools off quicker due to less moisture to condense.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:57 AM

5,647 posts, read 4,992,263 times
The alley thing does stand out as a significant difference. Way more prevalent in Dallas than in Houston. I do wonder how that came about.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:01 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,208,171 times
All of this weather and culture stuff is not likely useful to the OP based on his responses. Might want to speak more about secular sobriety communities/resources or dating in general.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:57 PM

625 posts, read 675,786 times
I grew up in the Northern Houston suburbs and currently live in an inner-Dallas neighborhood. While my experiences between the burbs and the city are as different as night and day, I would say the general cities are fairly similar. Key differences I've seen:

- Dallas suburbs seems to have a much higher $ appreciation. My parent's home (in a desirable suburb, large lot, good schools, etc.) has barely appreciated over the years - not compared to friend's homes in Plano, etc.
- Houston has more diversity in the Central area - although less evident in many suburbs.
- Houston's northern suburbs are much more green and heavily forested. Dallas doesn't have anything similar.
- Houston has more Medical industry and Oil/Gas. While Dallas has more Hi-Tech, telecom, etc.
- Seems like Dallas is doing more to attract out of state companies to relocate to it. (Which also influences appreciation).

Old 07-21-2022, 10:59 AM

1,168 posts, read 784,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
Averages can obscure more than reveal. The hottest days of summer, Dallas exceeds Houston temperatures by well more than 3 degrees. Today is a good example. As I type this at 7:43 pm, the temp in Dallas is 103 (feels like 107 - high for the day: 109); Houston: 90 (feels like 99 - high for the day: 100).
Averages give you a general idea about what you can expect as the usual; not extreme examples that only happen a handful of days every other year (like that year Houston had a white Christmas while Dallas didn't). As I'm typing this, Houston has a heat index of 101 while Dallas is showing 100. Throughout the year they're close enough that neither is always going to be much hotter/colder than the other.

It ultimately just comes down to whether or not you prefer a more or less wet climate.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:30 PM

684 posts, read 283,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Averages give you a general idea about what you can expect as the usual; not extreme examples that only happen a handful of days every other year (like that year Houston had a white Christmas while Dallas didn't). As I'm typing this, Houston has a heat index of 101 while Dallas is showing 100. Throughout the year they're close enough that neither is always going to be much hotter/colder than the other.

It ultimately just comes down to whether or not you prefer a more or less wet climate.
I'm wondering where you are getting your weather info. As I type this at 2:30 pm, Weather.com reports Dallas heat index at 109; Houston's is 105.

By definition, averages tend to flatten out the extremes and the extreme temperature days are really the ones to be concerned about.

The difference in winter is greater than you are pretending as well. For January, 2022, Dallas's average temperature was 45.35; Houston: 55.05. Dallas's average high temp for January: 57.45. Houston: 65.26 Dallas's average low temperature: 33.13. Houston: 45.68

Dallas's highest and lowest temps for January were 74 and 18. Houston: 85 and 34.

Last edited by oil capital; 07-21-2022 at 01:44 PM..

Old 07-21-2022, 01:42 PM

1,168 posts, read 784,933 times
Quote:
I'm wondering where you are getting your weather info. As I type this at 2:30 pm, Weather.com reports Dallas heat index at 109; Houston's is 105.
I used the same source as you.

Quote:
By definition, averages tend to flatten out the extremes and the extreme temperature days are really the ones to be concerned about.
Today is an extreme weather day and both cities are hot as Hades. I think it's time to admit you guys are just splitting hairs at this point.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:49 PM

684 posts, read 283,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I used the same source as you.

Today is an extreme weather day and both cities are hot as Hades. I think it's time to admit you guys are just splitting hairs at this point.
The data does not look like hair-splitting to me. It shows that Dallas is hotter in the hottest parts of the summer by both nominal temperature and heat index measurements (but Houston's heat goes on for more weeks/months) and Dallas is significantly colder in the winter.

Old 07-21-2022, 03:03 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,208,171 times
Quote:
The data does not look like hair-splitting to me. It shows that Dallas is hotter in the hottest parts of the summer by both nominal temperature and heat index measurements (but Houston's heat goes on for more weeks/months) and Dallas is significantly colder in the winter.
Sounds like you managed to show Dallas can get a few degrees hotter during the hottest time of the day, when no one who doesn't love sauna would be out. Are you also saying it doesn't cool off a lot more quickly in the evening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston