Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 02:10 PM

679 posts, read 273,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Sounds like you managed to show Dallas can get a few degrees hotter during the hottest time of the day, when no one who doesn't love sauna would be out. Are you also saying it doesn't cool off a lot more quickly in the evening?
Well, no I didn't say anything about that, but you've gotten me curious, so let's take a look.

8:53 pm temperatures (Love Field and Hobby Airport). For those who like averages, the average Dallas 8:53 pm temperature for July to date was 96.24. In Houston: 86.24.

July 21: Dallas: 97 Houston: 87
July 20: Dallas: 101 Houston: 86
July 19: Dallas: 100 Houston: 87
July 18: Dallas: 100 Houston: 86
July 17: Dallas: 100 Houston: 86
July 16: Dallas: 95 Houston: 87
July 15: Dallas: 93 Houston: 83
July 14: Dallas: 88 Houston: 80
July 13: Dallas: 100 Houston: 87
July 12: Dallas: 97 Houston: 88
July 11: Dallas: 97 Houston: 88
July 10: Dallas: 95 Houston: 91
July 9: Dallas: 99 Houston: 90
July 8: Dallas: 99 Houston: 88
July 7: Dallas: 97 Houston: 86
July 6: Dallas: 97 Houston: 86
July 5: Dallas: 95 Houston: 86
July 4: Dallas: 95 Houston: 86
July 3: Dallas: 96 Houston: 85
July 2: Dallas: 89 Houston: 85
July 1: Dallas: 91 Houston: 83

Last edited by oil capital; 07-22-2022 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 03:01 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I think the most important difference between the two is DFW's superior infrastructure. Its more developed transit system and extensive freeway network make it much easier to get around. Everything else will be a matter of personal preference/taste.
Houston's freeway system is pretty extensive. And the roads tend to be better designed.

Dallas has an extensive train network, but few people ride it.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:02 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
I would strongly disagree with that statement. I have grown up in Houston and have spent a fair amount of time in Dallas suburbs (Plano and Frisco). It's noticeably less humid in DFW which makes it much more comfortable to sit outside during the summer. Evenings are very nice there too. The trade-off is the winters are colder. I would easily take that trade-off.
Houston is more humid, but Dallas can get pretty hot. You never have 110 degree weather in Houston.

So its a tradeoff.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:05 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I thought the same thing. 7 degrees not a big difference? In what world?
When I was in high school in Houston I never had a coat. I needed to get one when we moved to Dallas.
You also do get more ice and snow in Dallas, not that you get a lot.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:10 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I remember sunny Christmas days in the Montrose when rode our new bikes in Bermuda shorts.

Believe it or not, I do have enough brains to understand the pool heater being on.

It was not. Hell for all I know the ground was warmer in Lake Highlands than out here inorth of Houston n Woods 2.
You sometimes have beach weather in February in Galveston.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:12 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Looking at temperatures is flawed too as humidity levels are a big deal which is why summer temps in Dallas can and often exceed Houston's. Houston air is moist so it takes a lot more heat to get to a higher temperature. Humidity is a big part of the difference story to me, I find my fav days in Dallas are those crisp cool fall or early spring days when the temp is cool and humidity levels very low in Dallas. in my 30 pls years living in Houston I do not recall those days happening often if at all.

I chuckled at the alley differences' which are real thought I live in Plano without an alley and lived in Energy corridor decades on an alley. I did not like alley living despite our alley being paved and wide enough that two vehicles could pass.
I didn't like them either. Had them in Dallas but never in Houston.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:15 PM
bu2

As far as "Big" differences, I do agree with most of what has been posted. There aren't "Big" differences.

Houston is just a little more open and down to earth. That was the biggest difference to me.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:05 PM
i2r

17 posts, read 9,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Not sure everyone agrees with this. I think Dallas is a little more tolerable in summer, especially in the evenings.

But like someone else said, between Dallas and Houston, if you're miserable in one then you're unlikely to be happy in the other, barring special personal circumstances.
It depends on how close to the gulf you are. Being on the gulf (actual waterfront on the ocean) moderates temperature summer and winter (lower highs in summer higher lows in winter). Typically during the long Texas summer Houston in the daytime, outside of the gulf, is a bit cooler than Dallas, but Dallas is usually a bit cooler at night than Houston.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:30 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
I don’t mind Texas summers in the “normal” phase. I’m not talking about a couple of weeks ago when that heat wave heat (that was miserable). But today feels just fine to me. Certainly rather this than the wintertime

Old 07-31-2022, 01:30 PM

317 posts, read 227,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Ugh, I wish I would've specified in the original post/title that I'm only interesting in comparing the city propers and NOT their suburbs.
You can't really divorce Dallas from the suburbs, unless you want to talk about municipal services. It is next to impossible to develop a life in Dallas and never have a reason to go to the suburbs because you will eventually have friends that live there, or jobs, or need to go to a sporting/music venue located in a burb, go to the airport etc. The only thing seperating the suburbs from Dallas is an imaginary line and change in street sign color, unlike a NYC or LA where you are crossing real geographic boundaries like rivers or mountains.

However with that said, those man-made boundaries in the Dallas suburbs can create a different world, because of the municipal services. You get the options of choosing competing school districts, voting with your dollars and having an amplified voice in your neighborhood. While we hate to admit it sometimes CofH is almost 2x the size of CofD and almost 2x the population. Now imagine having to go to City Hall or to the Schoold District headquarter to handle important business. You are effectively standing in a line twice as long than in CofD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston