Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 06:35 PM

7 posts, read 20,524 times

Advertisements

I am looking into moving to Houston area from metro Detroit Michigan area. I currently live on a lake and would like to move to an area on a lake or one of the bays, any suggestions? I currently commute about an hour each way to work and dont have a huge problem with it. I am sure that I woud be able to afford a house around the $200,000 - $300,000 range. With that question comes another one: I am an electrical engineer for General Motors currently with a base salary around $80,000 (I have a Bachelors of Science in electrical engineering and 4 years experience), are there pleny of jobs that I can qualify for and will my compensation be equivalent to what I make now? Finally, I am a single white male without children, how is the single life in Houston and the surrounding area. I will not know anybody within hours so meeting new people is important. Thank you all for answering these questions for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 06:48 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,486,095 times
How old are you? You can answer that with a general range, but this is an important question...

I'd probably say look at Clear Lake based on what you describe. That area has become pretty hot with younger people in Galveston County who don't get into the city so much. A lot of the other suburbs are dicey unless you're older. There are plenty of divorcees out there though if you're older, and the ones with good lawyers have money and a house. And for some, being older may not even be a requirement...the rules are changing.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:50 PM

Sorry, I forgot to include my age. I am 29 now and will be 30 when I move there.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:56 PM

If you're working in town, you might look at renting a place in Midtown for a little while, commuting to the water when you want it while checking everything out, while you pick where you want to buy.

You've got Lake Conroe which is nice, but the crowd up there seems to lean older. Lots of retirees up there. Kingwood/Atascosita and that area has Lake Houston. Pretty much typical suburbia up there and it's first and foremost the domain of families with children, but there are lots of trees and it is pretty. If I was forced to do the suburban thing here I'd probably choose Kingwood, but I can't say it's a really happening place with respect to nightlife. The 59 commute to spots up that way isn't too bad compared to some of your other choices.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:21 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,660,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I'd probably say look at Clear Lake based on what you describe.
I'd second this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
If you're working in town, you might look at renting a place in Midtown for a little while, commuting to the water when you want it while checking everything out, while you pick where you want to buy.
And this, too.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 AM

564 posts, read 2,042,100 times
I'd agree with the renting part. Houston covers a lot of area and even if you have a fairly specific idea of what you'd like, it might take a little elbow grease to find what areas you'd like best.

(I tend to think you'd opt for the general Clear Lake area too once it's all said and done but who knows).

Old 05-28-2008, 10:28 AM

Thanks for your input everyone. How is renting in the Seabrook, Nassau Bay, Clear Lake Shores, and Taylor Lake Villiage areas? Is it affordable and is it a good place to start and expand my house search fom there? What is the commute to the city like?

Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,640,811 times
Tough commute from there. 40-60 mins one way, only exacerbated by the construction along NASA Rd 1. If you buy a house along Clear Lake City Blvd, it'd shave 15-20 mins off the commute to the "core."

Maybe you should look for work in Clear Lake. Lots of businesses here, including NASA and Jacobs. Most of my neighbors work in the area.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:48 AM

The problem with Clear Lake City Blvd. is that exit on 45 gets really backed up a lot for some reason. I've spent 10 minutes before just trying to get off the freeway and get turned onto it.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,640,811 times
^ ^ Coming from the south it is like that. You have to exit early and take the feeder road all the way down.

Coming from the north it's also easier to exit Scarsdale or sometimes even Fuqua. Depends on what the "Travel Time" boards say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston