Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:47 PM

137 posts, read 542,276 times

Advertisements

I have heard that Houston people are friendlier and the pace of life in Houston is slower than in CA. Could this be an extension of the fact that so many in Houston are able to afford a decent home for their children and that the middle class lifestyle is attainable here versus in CA?

To me, CA is full of self-absorbed people. I think this might be due to the fact that they feel the need to compete in order to stay afloat. Are things different in Houston, or is this just a fact of life in every big city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 12:52 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,107,750 times
you dont belong in CA. Houston has its arms open like a refugee camp. well, it is one in many aspects. yes one's classification is bumped up a notch here in houston.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:52 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,440,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiezbug View Post
I have heard that Houston people are friendlier and the pace of life in Houston is slower than in CA. Could this be an extension of the fact that so many in Houston are able to afford a decent home for their children and that the middle class lifestyle is attainable here versus in CA?
The affordable lifestyle for the middle class really is found outside of Houston, or sprinkled around the perimeter, rather then IN Houston. It's very cost prohibitive to live near the city's core, just like CA.

We're friendlier because it's still Texas, and most of us are still very southern. Twenty years from now, with all the transplants, we might be as mean and as grumpie as everywhere else.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:01 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,403,446 times
Smile Be careful talking like this!!

Quote:

To me, CA is full of self-absorbed people. I think this might be due to the fact that they feel the need to compete in order to stay afloat. Are things different in Houston, or is this just a fact of life in every big city?
Yes Houston is very affordable on its perimeters but just be careful where at on the perimeter you go. i recommend Katy, Tx on the South Side of the I-10 (this area is booming) or Cypress or Spring or Pearland, Friendswood etc.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:06 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,587,472 times
It is affordable and friendly.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:11 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,167,245 times
Quote:

No, not at all. Texans overall tend to be friendly, outgoing. This is part of the state culture and is imparted from generation to generation. It has nothing to do with housing etc. I lived there for many years and know the state well.

Houston is very welcoming of newcomers because they almost invariably have something in common: they want to make a buck and improving their standard of living. Houston is all about entrepreneurialism. It's not about being fashionable, cool, or trendy (i.e. California). Nor is H-town about history and tradition, nor even social class, etc. People are drawn to the mosquito-and-roach-infested sauna on Buffalo Bayou to pursue opportunity, to build a better life for themselves and their family. Yes, it makes Houston somewhat shallow, often tacky, and downright vicious. But it also makes it vibrant. This shared interest transcends all racial, ethnic, religious, and social bounds and thus unites people together.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,660,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
No, not at all. Texans overall tend to be friendly, outgoing. This is part of the state culture and is imparted from generation to generation. It has nothing to do with housing etc. I lived there for many years and know the state well.

Houston is very welcoming of newcomers because they almost invariably have something in common: they want to make a buck and improving their standard of living. Houston is all about entrepreneurialism. It's not about being fashionable, cool, or trendy (i.e. California). Nor is H-town about history and tradition, nor even social class, etc. People are drawn to the mosquito-and-roach-infested sauna on Buffalo Bayou to pursue opportunity, to build a better life for themselves and their family. Yes, it makes Houston somewhat shallow, often tacky, and downright vicious. But it also makes it vibrant. This shared interest transcends all racial, ethnic, religious, and social bounds and thus unites people together.
Tacky I'll grant, but shallow? Vicious? I'm hurt. I think you're getting Houston confused with a city a couple hundred miles to the north.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 PM

293 posts, read 907,940 times
Actually, very few of the newer parts of Houston look tacky. They pretty much resemble suburbia anywhere in America. This country seems to have mostly said goodbye to all forms of regionalism in architecture.

The major difference in Houston from many other parts of the US is to be found in the climate, the booming economy, and the affordability of good new housing.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:07 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,486,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
Actually, very few of the newer parts of Houston look tacky.
Which is, in itself, tacky. But that's a rather POV topic...it's tomato to me, tomahto to you...

Old 05-27-2008, 07:11 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,987,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Tacky I'll grant, but shallow? Vicious? I'm hurt. I think you're getting Houston confused with a city a couple hundred miles to the north.

DITTO!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: