Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 03:06 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,022,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
No. I'm not surprised. I am going to assume that the generators are pretty big, given the amount of water that's pumped into the system, and larger generators take more time to start up and shut down safely and without damage to the engines.

As part of the expansion of the Northeast Treatment plant, a 30MW microgrid is being installed. I don't know if it's up and running yet, but the provider says that system has a 10 second cold start. I'm sure we will hear more over the next few days.
I encourage everyone to watch the mayor’s news conference. https://youtu.be/CldwFGnscfI

Apparently lack of power was not the issue, so the backup power generators would not have helped. Two transformers failed. The 2nd transformer was the backup but it also failed. The issues were internal to the plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 04:17 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I’m making it political, but I’m certainly not blaming Abbott.
You’re trying too hard.

Old 11-28-2022, 09:03 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I encourage everyone to watch the mayor’s news conference. https://youtu.be/CldwFGnscfI

Apparently lack of power was not the issue, so the backup power generators would not have helped. Two transformers failed. The 2nd transformer was the backup but it also failed. The issues were internal to the plant.
So there was no generator?

Old 11-28-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
No. I'm not surprised. I am going to assume that the generators are pretty big, given the amount of water that's pumped into the system, and larger generators take more time to start up and shut down safely and without damage to the engines.
Do you know anything about generators?
I started a huge generator in a factory where I work
It took less than a minute to turn the generator on and have it ready to use.

The generator was similar to this one but much older

Old 11-28-2022, 09:47 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,022,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
So there was no generator?
As I understood it they had access to generators but chose not to use them because the transformers failed.

Given your background with generators you will probably understand the video better than I did.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:10 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,758,591 times
Quote:
As I understood it they had access to generators but chose not to use them because the transformers failed.

Given your background with generators you will probably understand the video better than I did.
Long story short...either the relay protection didn't perform correctly or the actual problem is somewhere near the pumps (you can't continue to feed a fault)

Old 11-29-2022, 09:02 AM

340 posts, read 266,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That’s because Twitter bots are stupid. This has nothing to do with Gregg Abbott, and everything to do with local government bureaucracy being incompetent.
Some people were saying that the people of Houston deserve it for voting for Abbott.

...Despite the fact that Harris County voted for Beto, not Abbott. It would have taken these people 2 seconds of research to see how Harris County voted before they made their Tweets.

Now, yes, Texas as a whole voted for Abbott, but Harris County, specifically, did not. Saying that a city that's in a red state "deserves" to suffer when said city voted AGAINST the bad leadership is essentially victim blaming.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:06 PM

61,669 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Houston’s ongoing boil water notice has been lifted, officials said. But Houston ISD has announced classes are canceled and campuses closed nonetheless.

At around 6:50 a.m. Tuesday, experts with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality approved water samples provided to them as safe for consumption.

What to do after a boil water notice is lifted
Residents should flush their water systems by running cold water faucets for at least a minute, clean automatic ice makers and run water softeners through a regeneration cycle, according to Houston Public Works.

Houston ISD hasn't provided updates on school closures

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...d-17617727.php

Old 11-29-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Very likely the loads and the generators are rated for 480V. So I don't see why they need transformers.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:21 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,758,591 times
Quote:
Do you know anything about generators?
I started a huge generator in a factory where I work
It took less than a minute to turn the generator on and have it ready to use.

The generator was similar to this one but much older

FYI; The generators WRM20 was referring to is a different animal than the ones you worked on lol. That's not a 30MW generator.

Quote:
Very likely the loads and the generators are rated for 480V. So I don't see why they need transformers.
Pretty common for the COH and other plants to have their own transformers for reliability and cost. Centerpoint is only delivering transmission to the customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston