Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:39 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,770,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Now Trader Joe's I could get behind.
Me, too! I miss the chocolate covered peanut clusters. I haven't found any others I like as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:38 PM

283 posts, read 1,277,514 times
Quote:
That's funny, after I asked the realtor about this she was asking the other realtors where to find donuts - I had to quickly jump in and say, NO, Dunkin Donuts has nothing to do with the Donuts, we go there for the COFFEE only! Don't you guys drink coffee? lol!
Many of us do drink coffee. Real coffee. Buy some FRESH roasted coffee beans, grind them at home (preferably using a good conical burr grinder) and use a $20 French press (or whatever) to make a cup of real coffee.

As for Krispy Kreme, they were here, mostly failed (they ran out of new franchisees to sell their donut-making equipment to) and gone the way of most of the Dunkin Donuts, Stop-and-Gos (somebody at another post was asking why none of those here) and all those other places that a lot of you folks have back home and can't find here.

So, Houstonians have been there, done that. Folks in H-Town do "get it" and they've voted with their money and moved on to better things.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:56 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,770,063 times
Quote:
Now Trader Joe's I could get behind.
Hey, Houstoner, check this out:

Trader Joe's (http://industry.bnet.com/retail/2008/04/29/aldi-hits-texas-and-florida-is-trader-joes-on-the-way/ - broken link)

Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,155,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
Many of us do drink coffee. Real coffee. Buy some FRESH roasted coffee beans, grind them at home (preferably using a good conical burr grinder) and use a $20 French press (or whatever) to make a cup of real coffee.
Again, a revealing post about Houstonians not getting the DD coffee culture. It's not about being a coffee snob ("my fancy-pants press cost more than yours"). Its about getting that tasty, aromatic hot cuppa with the people you know down at DD, drywall guys standing in line with soccer moms and white collar strap hangers. They've been doing it since they were kids, and they bring thier own kids in tow. They know Sue and Michelle behind the counter, and Sue and Michelle know that Larry wants a small black and Susan behind him gets a large light extra sugar. DD coffee is comfort food -- it's not about snootiness.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:22 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,633,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Hey, Houstoner, check this out:

Trader Joe's (http://industry.bnet.com/retail/2008/04/29/aldi-hits-texas-and-florida-is-trader-joes-on-the-way/ - broken link)
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. I would love to have a cheaper alternative to Whole Paycheck. Thanks for the heads-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Again, a revealing post about Houstonians not getting the DD coffee culture.
I don't think it's about not getting it. We have our own equivalent comfort food experiences here. Why do we need yours?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:47 AM

67 posts, read 237,183 times
Default Haven't heard that in a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Its about getting that tasty, aromatic hot cuppa with the people you know down at DD, drywall guys standing in line with soccer moms and white collar strap hangers.
Betcha nobody south of Boston has a clue what a strap-hanger even is?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:14 AM

14 posts, read 50,059 times
there are a few dd's downtown or wetheimer area but don't even bother since it won't taste the same anyway. why you may ask and the reason is simple, the water. the water in nyc is the best water in the world and thats why nyc has the best pizza and bagels and coffee, the water. hard to believe but its the truth. sucks for us new yorkers looking for a lite and sweet in the morning for about $2 in houston. all i can say is learn to love starbucks cause thats all you'll get around here.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 AM

87 posts, read 382,755 times
Quote:
Sounds like more of a regional comfort food kind of thing, more about the experience and memories than the actual food or drink. Sometimes these things are irrational. I remember living in New Orleans, surrounded by great food, and all I could think about was how I couldn't find a decent taco and horchata to save my life. I was just homesick.
It's just a great place to get my coffee in the morning. I'm used to finding one wherever I travel. I guess I'll have to get used to a new coffee place. Most cities have a drive through Dunkin Donuts too, it's just very convenient and they have great coffee - not as much of a comfort as much as it is a convenience.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:02 AM

447 posts, read 1,581,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVA78 View Post
there are a few dd's downtown or wetheimer area but don't even bother since it won't taste the same anyway. why you may ask and the reason is simple, the water. the water in nyc is the best water in the world and thats why nyc has the best pizza and bagels and coffee, the water. hard to believe but its the truth. sucks for us new yorkers looking for a lite and sweet in the morning for about $2 in houston. all i can say is learn to love starbucks cause thats all you'll get around here.
Or just a deli in general where you can get a butter roll and coffee from a stand for about $2, or even a bacon, ham and cheese on a sesame roll....i agree witht the best pizza and bagel part as well....this is a 5* post.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:45 AM

14 posts, read 50,059 times
finally someone who hears me loud and clear!!! i would love a roll with butter right about now. some of these places that sell bagels here would be shut down in a sec if they were in the city. i did discover a bagel place on hillcroft called "new york coffee shop", don't get excited its not like the original in union square, but it does have great bagels and spreads. the owner is from the bronx. Make the trip there and you'll thank me later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston