Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,390 times

Advertisements

Hello: I am currently looking to buy a condo or townhouse in Houston. I have started my research and knew Houston was huge but it is quite difficult to narrow down the neighborhoods; especially when you have never been. Currently found some houses in 77036 that sound appealing. I would like to know more about this area and I'm open to any other neighborhood suggestions. A bit about me (to help with the suggestions) I'm a young female with a husband who won't be living at home often. I would like to be near: the Indian community (or within walking/driving distance of Indian grocery stores and possibly movie theaters), close to libraries, and parks. I'm not terribly picky and willing to drive but I do enjoy walking outside to the grocery store (I eat a mainly Indian diet so being near ethnic groceries would be great) and eateries. Again safety for me is most important since my husband will not be home often. I also would like a quite community - I might be young but I'm not a partier and I don't drink. Oh and the highest I want to go on a house is around 130k. Well thanks for reading and I appreciate your advice.

Last edited by slyjester99; 05-27-2008 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: was not specific
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 07:52 AM

951 posts, read 1,452,040 times
77036 is a very bad neighborhood. More than 90% of the population is non-white and except for the isolated 2-3 subdivisions recently built, it is a high crime area as well. Yet these isolated subdivisions do not lose value due to proximity to Galleria.
There are many other nice neighborhoods but pricier around Galleria. I guess the reason some people are moving there is because new houses are very cheap and very close to Galleria.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:21 AM

958 posts, read 2,573,626 times
I actually live in 77036 and yes most of it is bad, but my townhouse/condo community has little to no crime issues. What exactly is the area/name of the community your consider buying in too.

I personally believe those isolated communities are over priced
Feel free to PM me any questions on the area.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 AM

951 posts, read 1,452,040 times
I forgot the name of highly priced subdivisions in 77036 but it is right nex to 59 feeder and they have a pool and fitness center newly built in each of these subdivisions. You can get a 3 bedroom 5 year old townhouse under 200K and 2 minutes to Galleria. Unbelievable cheap if you ask me.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,819 times
I'm actually living in the 77036 zip code and its majority black and hispanic. I find the apartments where Im staying The Mills, very comfortable and there are very few disturbances and everyone is respectful.This side of town can only be "bad" if you surround yourself with the negative people.Other than that the southwest is a cool place to stay, especially if you don't want to pay sky high prices but you can still live comfortably too.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:20 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,528 times
The Indian stores @Hillcroft are not something you want to be living near to unless youre running the business. I would suggest living farther west where middleeastern, indians..all type of asian families live. For condo living i'd recommend the real quiet ones on westpark dr/richmond/west houston blvd, west of the sam houston tollway. for housing, somewhere nearer route 6 on westpark dr/ 'ashford' villages. there is a bollywood theatre on rt6 and richmond

Old 12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
I was mugged at Fondren and West Bellfort area. More like Bob White blvd. I had been staying at an apartment complex. This was about 10yrs ago, so not sure if it is still bad. I believe this is part of the 77036 area code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: