Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 11:05 AM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I was born king after Urban cowboy’s era (I’m a upper 90s baby). I’m sure Urban Cowboy was big in it’s time. Today, pop culture reflections of Houston are tied to hip hop, space theme, tejano, and ethnic diversity. The Texan culture certainly exists as a part of the formula tho that sits on top of Houston and a statewide thing (though excluding hip hop and space theme, the other things have somewhat of a statewide pull as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 11:33 AM

1,035 posts, read 564,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I was born king after Urban cowboy’s era (I’m a upper 90s baby). I’m sure Urban Cowboy was big in it’s time. Today, pop culture reflections of Houston are tied to hip hop, space theme, tejano, and ethnic diversity. The Texan culture certainly exists as a part of the formula tho that sits on top of Houston and a statewide thing (though excluding hip hop and space theme, the other things have somewhat of a statewide pull as well).
Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

We are Gen X, and not very well-versed with today’s hip hop. As “transplants” our perspectives definitely vary from the native Texans/Houstonians, but I think this in itself is a beauty, after all there’s no uniform in our life stories.

Did you also mean the common mainstream perceptions of what Houston is tied to? See that’s the thing. I’m always a bit more intrigued by the “off-kilter”(for lack of better words.) kind of way of looking at things. Before deciding to move here my references were Menil, Rothko Chapel, Rienzi, Welton Becket, coastal, lushness, mild winter, live and let live general laissez-faire, thriving dining scene…..etc. We didn’t move here for all kinds of typical associations with Houston (aside from what you shared above.) such as “affordable” “lower COL” “job opportunities” (my husband wfh) and whatnot.

Thanks again for sharing. It’s nice to know things from the locals.

Old 12-10-2022, 12:39 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times
Quote:
I’ve seen this movie about 10 times in my life, the last time was catching it on streaming about two weeks ago.-still bawling my eyes out. The “give my daughter the shot!” hospital scene and the younger son crying in front of the mother’s hospital bed just always got me every single time.

To me it’s a quintessential Houston movie, along with Reality Bites in 1994. Paris, Texas, another achingly beautiful movie, was also partially shot in Houston. Rushmore from Wes Anderson (who was born in Houston and went to St.John’s) was another Houston movie I like.

(I never saw the movie Urban Cowboy, read it was shot/based in Pasadena, Tx.)

I didn’t know (until a few months ago absolutely randomly.) Julian Schnabel went to University of Houston and actually had his 1st exhibit in Houston thanks to the then-director of Contemporary Art Museum Houston.

Houston may not be a hugely popular “touristy” city (in fact I find it a good thing.) and normally doesn’t seem to be on top of every basic list of ranking of popularity on c-d, but to me it’s an interesting city, culturally and otherwise.

The other day I was on YouTube trying to find clips of the band Poesie Noir, throughout the comments people keep referring to Houston night clubs playing this song and some record label based in Montrose…..etc. Not from Houston and not familiar with Poesie Noir (i was very pleasantly surprised with their music, reminds me of New Order.) I found the references of Houston intriguing. I’m going to dig myself a rabbit hole researching on that.

My husband and I are both pop culture/art/creativity deciphers, Houston is truly absolutely most definitely not boring at all.
I love Poise Noir! We had a few clubs in the ‘80s/90s that played music like that. I’m sure they were all referring to Numbers (still around), or Club 6400, but my favorite was Xcess. They used to have a local radio station broadcast from 6400 so a lot of younger people who were too young for the clubs got to enjoy the music as well. I think that’s probably why you saw so many comments from Houston.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lwj15pMqq88

Old 12-10-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I love Poise Noir! We had a few clubs in the ‘80s/90s that played music like that. I’m sure they were all referring to Numbers (still around), or Club 6400, but my favorite was Xcess. They used to have a local radio station broadcast from 6400 so a lot of younger people who were too young for the clubs got to enjoy the music as well. I think that’s probably why you saw so many comments from Houston.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lwj15pMqq88
Yes, this is the one I saw on YouTube. You’re amazing! Thank you for sharing, I’m gong to listen to more of their music.

Hey this is the kind of information they don’t tell you from the typical chamber of commerce or tour guide thingie, so your input is very, very appreciated! Thank you again!

Old 12-10-2022, 03:32 PM

317 posts, read 227,878 times
congrats to houston....definitely a place to go for a good time, not a long time (IMO)

Old 12-10-2022, 04:44 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Houston’s museums/cultural institutes and food scene played a fairly big portion in our decision-making process when we were trying to narrow down between Dallas and Houston.

Not all came here for just business or visiting family/relatives.

I’m dating myself but I’ve been fascinated by Houston since I caught the movie Terms of Endearment on TV when I was very, very young. In the movie Shirley MacLaine and Jack Nicholson lived in River Oaks. MacLaine’s house was beautiful, grand, warm and inviting. Her garden was green, lush, and full of life. (Her character’s last name happened to be Greenway, totally metaphorical.) The movie made a very contrasting parallel between the daughter’s struggling marriage in Nebraska with cold winter, dreary, dark and lifeless topography and financial shortcomings vs. the mother’s vibrant, colorful, sunny and well-maintained Houston home. The latter has been cemented in my very young brain with my association with Houston.

Now I got to live my life in Houston in a house that’s quite similar to MacLaine’s, surrounded by vibrant lushness, sunny warmth and very pleasant vegetations and aromatic flowers in the garden.

Just to show that we all have different reasons/background/inspirations on how we decided to visit/move to a city. There’s no uniform in our life stories.
Great post. Wish i could rep you. Its nice to hear positive stories now and then.
Houston forum has been all doom and gloom lately. Just thread after thread about complaints and negative things so it's nice to happy stories nowadays.
Houston is an awesome city, and I think residents are so hardwired into outsiders accentuating Houston's every flaw that they forget the good things about the city.
If it wasn't for a few posters posting coredevelopment updates or local economic news Houston forum would be all doom and gloom.

But Houston is a cool place. And I am not certain why business travelers are any different from any other travelers? Best part of college was all the Conventions I got to go to. It was an opportunity for a starving college student to see the country for free. I loved almost everywhere I went. And when I didn't like somewhere, it was because of things that were not superficial like walkability. For example I loved Phoenix, but the dry heat headaches were not pleasant.

Old 12-10-2022, 04:54 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Great post. Wish i could rep you. Its nice to hear positive stories now and then.
Houston forum has been all doom and gloom lately. Just thread after thread about complaints and negative things so it's nice to happy stories nowadays.
Houston is an awesome city, and I think residents are so hardwired into outsiders accentuating Houston's every flaw that they forget the good things about the city.
If it wasn't for a few posters posting coredevelopment updates or local economic news Houston forum would be all doom and gloom.

But Houston is a cool place. And I am not certain why business travelers are any different from any other travelers? Best part of college was all the Conventions I got to go to. It was an opportunity for a starving college student to see the country for free. I loved almost everywhere I went. And when I didn't like somewhere, it was because of things that were not superficial like walkability. For example I loved Phoenix, but the dry heat headaches were not pleasant.
Lol you got that right. That’s what happens when conspiracy theorists and mods that enjoy controversy mix.

Old 12-10-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Thank you. (They won’t let me rep you either, perhaps because I repped you before?!)

I’d like to think between my husband (who moved to NYC/Atlanta/Minneapolis/Cincinnati for his music industry job.) and me (together we had NYC/Los Angeles/Shaker Heights OH/Sarasota FL, in addition to living in Paris prior to moving to NYC in my case.) I’d like to think we have a fairly good instinct and observation for cities, that and the fact we have zero hangups and (fortunately) can remain objective. It was so easy for us/me to like Houston, Terms of Endearment affinity aside.

I like the fact that I’m wearing a summer dress in December, my garden is green and blooming all year round. I like the fact if we are feeling adventurous in trying Argentinian or West African cuisine we can find it in Houston. I like the fact while it’s a big city we almost always can find parking (my realtor cracked up when I told him living in LA one often had to ask on the phone before checking a new dr. office/kids indoor playground/restaurant: “what is the parking policy?!” LA is the kind of city where there’s a white glove valet parking in kids’ pumpkin patch.). I like the fact that while many cities boast for diversity I actually saw in the Houston Methodist’s brochure that printed each doctor speaks multiple languages some of which I’ve never heard of.-never saw this in both NYC and LA.

I see Houston as a masculine city with very masculine energy, but there are so many pretty places/streets/neighborhoods with tree canopy, Southern daintiness, and low key genteel vibe. I fill our house with very feminine delicate look (my poor husband!) so my life here is well-balanced.

My husband said we “barely scrapped the surface” with Houston, that’s how many things we can and want to do in Houston. While IAH can be a pain, traveling is handy and convenient in Houston domestically and internationally. We go to Dallas and Austin a lot, they are always fun but I’m always happy coming back to Houston. Houston’s 2 hrs flight to CDMX is a major plus.

Lastly, totally agree with business travel point. Does it really matter people come here for business?! It’s wonderful to have robust business in the city, it’s beneficial to the residents.

I’ve met quite a lot of friendly and kind people in Houston. We are very happy here.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Last edited by achtung baby; 12-10-2022 at 08:07 PM..

Old 12-10-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, this is the one I saw on YouTube. You’re amazing! Thank you for sharing, I’m gong to listen to more of their music.

Hey this is the kind of information they don’t tell you from the typical chamber of commerce or tour guide thingie, so your input is very, very appreciated! Thank you again!
If you like that music do a search on YouTube for Club 6400 and it will have a ton of this type of music. And if you just want to listen to an old school DJ, this guy makes great videos and lists the song and artist of every track in the description, though he doesn’t put a time stamp. It’s a really good mix.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2vQcCu...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by katygirl68; 12-10-2022 at 08:41 PM..

Old 12-10-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Thank you. (They won’t let me rep you either, perhaps because I repped you before?!)

I’d like to think between my husband (who moved to NYC/Atlanta/Minneapolis/Cincinnati for his music industry job.) and me (together we had NYC/Los Angeles/Shaker Heights OH/Sarasota FL, in addition to living in Paris prior to moving to NYC in my case.) I’d like to think we have a fairly good instinct and observation for cities, that and the fact we have zero hangups and (fortunately) can remain objective. It was so easy for us/me to like Houston, Terms of Endearment affinity aside.

I like the fact that I’m wearing a summer dress in December, my garden is green and blooming all year round. I like the fact if we are feeling adventurous in trying Argentinian or West African cuisine we can find it in Houston. I like the fact while it’s a big city we almost always can find parking (my realtor cracked up when I told him living in LA one often had to ask on the phone before checking a new dr. office/kids indoor playground/restaurant: “what is the parking policy?!” LA is the kind of city where there’s a white glove valet parking in kids’ pumpkin patch.). I like the fact that while many cities boast for diversity I actually saw in the Houston Methodist’s brochure that printed each doctor speaks multiple languages some of which I’ve never heard of.-never saw this in both NYC and LA.

I see Houston as a masculine city with very masculine energy, but there are so many pretty places/streets/neighborhoods with tree canopy, Southern daintiness, and low key genteel vibe. I fill our house with very feminine delicate look (my poor husband!) so my life here is well-balanced.

My husband said we “barely scrapped the surface” with Houston, that’s how many things we can and want to do in Houston. While IAH can be a pain, traveling is handy and convenient in Houston domestically and internationally. We go to Dallas and Austin a lot, they are always fun but I’m always happy coming back to Houston. Houston’s 2 hrs flight to CDMX is a major plus.

Lastly, totally agree with business travel point. Does it really matter people come here for business?! It’s wonderful to have robust business in the city, it’s beneficial to the residents.

I’ve met quite a lot of friendly and kind people in Houston. We are very happy here.

Thanks again for the kind words.
I love your enthusiasm! It’s good to have you here in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston