Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 09:29 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Fixing that interchange is literally the first piece of the entire I-45/downtown interchange rebuild. That'll be fixed before anything else is complete with this project.

Any more complaints?
What’s the point of removing the pierce elevated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 07:14 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'd counter by asking what's the point of keeping it? Straightening the north-south connection between 288/59 and 45 will help by itself. Better ramp geometry is a definite advantage of the new design before you even talk about expanded lanes or anything like that.

The biggest advantage imo - downtown and midtown will be able to grow into one another without the Pierce dividing the two. I don't really get why people want to keep it, frankly.

Old 01-16-2023, 01:55 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It's just about 1 mile of highways that gives 1,000 miles of headache. Longer stretches of highway are re-routed all the time.

And are they actually getting rid of it? Has there been a decision?

I don't see why they would throw more money at it to keep it.

One benefit in removing it will be gaining valuable real estate in a very visual area. It seems like most of downtown Houston traffic goes north south, rather than east - west. So visually the land gained in that area is more appealing than land to the east.

I am not yet sold on the Elevated park idea. It just seems like a waste of space. Iam not all that fond of the highline in NY. Maybe if they can build in the space below and make the sides look like the promenade plantee in Paris then that would 100% be a great asset.

Would be a nice transition between downtown and Midtown:https://images.app.goo.gl/Zng5feWnPL7rHHK19

Old 01-16-2023, 03:30 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Though it's not part of the project, I totally don't agree with the elevated park concept. Houston parks need shade, how will that be provided? The underneath area will still be unpleasant, unless some equally compelling concept is being considered for it. And the potential space for new private development won't materialize if the structure is kept in place.

Old 01-16-2023, 09:01 PM

679 posts, read 274,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Though it's not part of the project, I totally don't agree with the elevated park concept. Houston parks need shade, how will that be provided? The underneath area will still be unpleasant, unless some equally compelling concept is being considered for it. And the potential space for new private development won't materialize if the structure is kept in place.
Agreed. And if there is a compelling concept for the underneath area, why didn’t we do it 10-20-30-40 years ago?

Old 01-17-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
Agreed. And if there is a compelling concept for the underneath area, why didn’t we do it 10-20-30-40 years ago?
Looking at the other cities who did create Elevated parks, they didn't engage the underneath area until the park was created. Further, very few of this Elevated parks engage the parts underneath.

For clarity I have not seen any plans to do anything under Pierce Elevated. I said I am not sold on the Elevated park but would like the idea more if all that space was put to better use like building underneath. The city didn't have plans 40 years ago to build anything underneath and they don't have plans for that now.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Looking at the other cities who did create Elevated parks, they didn't engage the underneath area until the park was created. Further, very few of this Elevated parks engage the parts underneath.

For clarity I have not seen any plans to do anything under Pierce Elevated. I said I am not sold on the Elevated park but would like the idea more if all that space was put to better use like building underneath. The city didn't have plans 40 years ago to build anything underneath and they don't have plans for that now.
Are there any other elevated parks that have areas underneath that could be developed? I’m not aware of any.

I thought some of the skypark renderings showed some development underneath. Renderings are not plans per se (as can be said with regard to the whole skypark concept). If there are not plans for the underneath, I’d give it a hard no.

Old 01-17-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
Are there any other elevated parks that have areas underneath that could be developed? I’m not aware of any.

I thought some of the skypark renderings showed some development underneath. Renderings are not plans per se (as can be said with regard to the whole skypark concept). If there are not plans for the underneath, I’d give it a hard no.
Yes, there are, including portions of Highline.
The Pierce renderings I have seen leave the underneath empty like this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/7puSH8F9RRQwo8DYA

Salesforce Park is another example of an elevated park worth usable space and they use that space as a transit hub.

The metropolitan Parasol is another example. It has building space underneath, but it is a lot less space than Pierce. It has shopping and a restaurant.

Niederhafen Promenade is another raised park but the underneath is roadway. Kinda like the plans for 59, but elevated instead of at grade with roads below ground.

I already mentioned the Promenade Plantee as another example.

I just think that if ONE of the reasons for the re-route is to eliminate the divide between downtown and Midtown, then either remove it completely or improve the look at ground level.

Building an elevated highway makes use of the remnants but it does nothing to improve the divide between the two neighborhoods.

Another reason given is gaining prime real estate. Leaving the underneath empty, or as parking like they currently do, isn't really gaining space.

Basically it so look just as ugly 20 years from now as it did 20 years ago. So I would give it a hard no too

Old 01-17-2023, 11:29 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Elevated park concept is a hard maybe for me. It all depends on design and how they engage it with the surroundings. What happens underneath is a big concern for sure, and any concept would have to make sure to engage the buildings next to it too. At the end of the day, I'm fine with that part of it not happening unless they really have pulled out all the stops for it design-wise. No point in having a huge linear park that ends up being an eyesore or not used to its utmost potential.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:52 AM

There are a couple of renderings of "underneath" development in the attached presentation. I remain skeptical of the concept and it's construction costs, and perhaps more important, ongoing maintenance costs

Sorry, I forgot to include the link (pages 83 and 84):

http://www.downtowntirz.com/downtown...-Materials.pdf

Last edited by oil capital; 01-17-2023 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston