Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2023, 06:06 AM

344 posts, read 349,695 times

Advertisements

What restaurants in Houston do you feel are highest value (or lowest price relative to product offered)? They could be in any price range, just huge value for what you pay. Name your favorite dish if you like - sometimes there is a deal or loss leader that is huge value.

For example, Midtown Grill has a great location, dive bar atmosphere and good old Greek family American cooking at great prices. Most entrees under $10. Massive chicken fried steak. Ribeye! Generous side dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 11:40 AM

38 posts, read 123,297 times
Street Food Thai Market has pretty huge portions on their pad thai and curries. My wife and I always split them ($10-$12 range) and end up having leftovers still. Best thai in Houston, IMO.

Old 01-10-2023, 02:09 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,811,466 times
Eating out has gotten too dang expensive, to the point that we've cut to 1x per week max. So with the provisos that:

-We eat out rarely, and almost always west of 610
-Our tastes aren't particularly sophisticated - we mainly like places with enough variety that me, my wife, and our young kids can all find something we like

I'd suggest the following:
-True Sushi at Westheimer & Crescent Park Drive (prices recently went up, but still a good deal if you treat it as two meals)
-The Feast Buffet at Fry and Park Row Drive
-Blue Agave Cantina at Grisby Square (particularly good hh specials)
-Luna Pizzeria at Westheimer and Hillcroft (Monday night half-priced pizzas special)

Old 01-13-2023, 07:30 AM

307 posts, read 270,541 times
If I find myself in SW Houston around breakfast or lunch time, I try to stop by New York Bagel & Deli. It's very no-frills, but for how cheap it is, it's awesome. It kind of feels like stepping back in time almost, which might be part of the attraction of it to me.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, if we have friends in town and want to go somewhere nice, I really enjoy Taste of Texas. It's not cheap, but the ambiance is nice, the salad and cheese bar are nice, and the food is always exceptional, as is the service. Another nicer place we enjoy taking people to is Damian's on either Smith St or Louisiana St (I always forget). Food is always great, service great, and if you're going to a show in the theater district, they'll let you stay parked at their place and their bus will take you to the show.

Old 01-13-2023, 10:55 AM

15,627 posts, read 7,659,245 times
Perry's Steakhouse has a Friday pork chop lunch special that is a great deal. Giant pork chop with mashed potatoes and applesauce for $20.

Old 01-13-2023, 01:10 PM

5,647 posts, read 4,992,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Perry's Steakhouse has a Friday pork chop lunch special that is a great deal. Giant pork chop with mashed potatoes and applesauce for $20.
Yes, that's a well-known (and well-loved, apparently) good deal. Apparently there's also a semi-secret Sunday deal (off-menu) that's similar?

Old 01-13-2023, 01:15 PM

5,647 posts, read 4,992,263 times
An important thing to keep in mind is that while the menu prices for many items at restaurants may seem high, the portion sizes can often be sufficient for two meals if you are doing take-out or have them box up the leftovers. Honestly an equivalent of $15-$25 per meal that's really good and you likely wouldn't make at home isn't that bad a deal, even if you initially have shock at spending up to $50 (for one person).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston