Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 06:08 AM

2 posts, read 10,145 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be relocating to Houston in the next few months, and we can't figure out where to live. I'll be working off of I-10 at Eldridge, and she'll be working in Baytown.

After searching HAR.com, very interested in Fall Creek or Summerwood because we have a little one and want a nice neighborhood to raise a family. What's the commute like from FC to Eldridge? FC to Baytown? The commute will be bad no matter where we live -- any suggestions?

Also, how does the Park and Ride work? Is it a bus system or do you have to already have a carpool lined up? What's the bus ride like from FC to Eldridge?

Lots of questions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 07:37 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
FC to Eldrige is NOT a good idea, though it is doable if you like long, expensive (gas and tolls) drives. I would suggest looking somewhere like Timber Grove or Lazybrook in the inner loop area where you would be counter commuting to both locations. It is a bit further to Baytown than Eldrige but it can be done.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:58 AM

293 posts, read 909,406 times
You're probably not going to want to hear this, but I think one of you needs to seriously consider finding another job. From Katy to Baytown is more than fifty miles of congested freeway. The neighborhoods halfway in between are either not very nice or tend to be very expensive.

You didn't mention whether money was a factor, so I will assume for the purposes of my answer that it isn't. In that case, I would try to get a place just off of I-10 where it passes by Memorial park. That area is usually called Rice-Military these days. It is an area that is in transition, with 50 year old houses being replaced by expensive, brand new homes and townhouses. If you aren't satisfied with the public schools, there are some wonderful private schools not terribly far away.

Another area you might want to look at is along TC Jester just north of I-10. That's a nice older area. Again, you might want to consider private schools.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 10,145 times
Default Fall Creek to Eldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
You're probably not going to want to hear this, but I think one of you needs to seriously consider finding another job. From Katy to Baytown is more than fifty miles of congested freeway. The neighborhoods halfway in between are either not very nice or tend to be very expensive.

You didn't mention whether money was a factor, so I will assume for the purposes of my answer that it isn't. In that case, I would try to get a place just off of I-10 where it passes by Memorial park. That area is usually called Rice-Military these days. It is an area that is in transition, with 50 year old houses being replaced by expensive, brand new homes and townhouses. If you aren't satisfied with the public schools, there are some wonderful private schools not terribly far away.

Another area you might want to look at is along TC Jester just north of I-10. That's a nice older area. Again, you might want to consider private schools.
Thanks for the honesty. We both work for the same company, which will be paying for us to relocate, so finding a new job isn't really an option. Plus, there is a high possibility I may get transfered to Baytown in the future -- so want to be on East side of town.

Lots of people that work in our Eldridge office live in League City/Clear Lake or Kingwood and vanpool to the office. The commute sounds horendous, and I've never been a big fan of vanpooling, but it may be my only option.

As for cost, we're looking to spend 300-350k$, but main thing is a nice size house (4+ bedrooms, for family to grow) and good public schools. Wasn't planning on private schools......sounds like the only option inside the loop?

How does Fall Creek compare to Pearland in terms of commute to Eldridge? Thanks.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Eldridge is a long haul from Pearland as well as Fall Creek. You might try the Heights - its rather eclectic and I'm not sure about schools but might be a nice halfway point.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:21 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,415 times
Maybe a McMansion in Bellaire.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
For $350,000 you could get into somewhere like Memorial Bend or Memorial Plaza, around the beltway and 10. That would be a trek to Baytown though. Closer in along Memorial would be price prohibitive I think.

There might be some possibilities north of I-10, but it can be hit or miss, (but then again isn't most of Houston). I don't know if you could find that in Hilshire Village, I think it is pricier than that. Maybe Afton Woods, but I am not real sure how the schools are there.

Heights, Timbergrove, Lazybrook & Garden Oaks, but the schools, ehhh. Private schools would probably be in order.

I am wondering if Meyerland might be an option. The schools are decent. For Eldridge you could go out Braeswood to Gessner and up and across, or battle the rough but short stretch of 610 to I-10 and then it would be a reverse commute that wouldn't be too bad from that point. Try both and see which is better (or the lesser of two evils) Going to Baytown you could jump right on the south loop and take it around to I-10 East, dodging the lion's share of traffic.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:58 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Actually Meyerland and Timber Grove/Lazybrook were built by the same developer and the schools are pretty equivalent. The commute would be much better from the latter two though. The schools around Timber Grove have improved appreciably with the redevelopment and demographic change. All the new, young blood have improved have taken over all the homes of the formerly retired folks and the neighboring Heights redevelopment with young, professional families has really improved all the ammenities in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston