Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 03:39 PM

126 posts, read 72,008 times

Advertisements

So I might be able to move out to Houston, TX this May. Either in May or August, I am going to be moving to Houston. Life in Phoenix has been very hard and rough. From the very rude and mean locals to the most passive aggressive drivers in America, it has been very stressful. Why just today, a local Phoenix douchebag blocked me from getting into the right lane and began racing with me. The driver behind me aggressively tailgated me and put his hand up like I was driving too slow, and mind you I was going 20 above the speed limit. I had to speed up close to 100 mph to be able to switch. Phoenix has very passive-aggressive drivers and people.

With that said, how will the transition be to Houston? I am aware that people are very nice and kind, drivers are not so aggressive and they drive like they do in the east coast and in California, and the scenery is absolutely beautiful. Tall trees with creeks of water, and people go out of their way to help you there. Houston is much less stressful and more laid back than Phoenix. Yes, traffic exists, but nobody constantly switches lanes, and Texans are very kind drivers. I imagine my neighbors will introduce themselves the moment I move in. Making friends will be very easy, as Houston locals are sweet and gentle people. Phoenix locals tend to be more violent and passive-aggressive towards each other. The gun culture in Houston and Texas is not as tense as it is in Arizona. Hardly any road rage unless provoked, whereas in Phoenix, you can get into an altercation for going the posted speed limit and get cut off. No altercations in Houston is my guess. Better customer service, no bad attitudes, and overall a way better city than Phoenix. Also I bet better public transportation too.

This is what I imagine the transition to be like. And I plan to live in either Sugar Land, Missosuri City, Northwest Houston, or The Woodlands.

Am I spot on about the transition or is there more I need to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 03:49 PM

9,849 posts, read 6,566,773 times
I would suggest moving to a mid sized city. Maybe Tampa would be a better choice. Not sure why you’d move to Houston for drivers. Maybe Houston drivers aren’t as aggressive as Phoenix but they’re aggressive enough for that to not be a good reason to make a move. People are friendlier than California, sure but again, I think you’re getting your hopes up on that one too. Public transport, same thing. Probably better than Phoenix but given that it’s Phoenix, that’s not saying much.

If you can live AND work in Sugar Land, maybe it would be good for your situation.

Old 03-12-2023, 04:10 PM

214 posts, read 306,837 times
I honestly don't think drivers in Houston are that bad. I drive a lot... I tend to drive defensively, but I rarely have had issues. In fact, people tend to be pretty nice on the roads in the Houston metro...letting me in when i need to change lanes, etc. I've driven all throughout the States, and I think that the toughest place to drive for me so far has been Boston, with NYC a close second.

Old 03-12-2023, 04:35 PM

I agree with Zoo2000, Houston drivers are actually nice. They are aggressive, but they are nice, unlike drivers in Phoenix who are *******s. I can't speak for Boston or NYC, as I've never driven in those cities, but I still think Phoenix tops it off for rudest drivers in America.

I'm choosing Houston to be closer to family. My brother moved to Dallas and his life has changed for the better. He even said that it's the city I live in which is contributing to my depression and anxiety. He has said how nice and kind people in Texas are compared to Arizona and how smiles and kindness go a long way in Texas. I like Houston better than Dallas because I felt the people were more real, but Dallas drivers and Dallas locals by far are still much friendlier than Phoenix drivers and Phoenix locals. I just prefer Houston.

Here is the current situation. I am in a social work program. I am currently in an internship this semester. It is split into two different classes, which you pay separately for. You have two different contracts. I am trying to see if I can intern at this one agency I love in Houston. I emailed my school supervisor to ask if students are allowed to do that. I'll get a response this week.

I am in my Spring Internship. If I am able to leave to intern at a different site this summer, I plan to leave on good terms.

If however, I have to stay at my current site, I will be forced to stick it out until August.

Now, I also need some suggestions. Should I apply to jobs in Houston now if I am being forced to wait until August or should I wait until May or June to apply? I don't want employers to think I'm crazy and weird out there because I am applying so early and putting in my start date in August.

However, if I get the approval to move in May, I can apply starting this week.

I can't wait to move to Texas. Also, I think Sugar Land is far enough to where it won't get hit by a hurricane or flooded. But even then, people are so nice to help each other in the Houston metro area.

Heck, I even read that Los Angeles is less stressful than Scottsdale, but Scottsdale is still Phoenix, and all of Phoenix in my eyes was the same. You can be in Tempe or Mesa, and it still felt like Scottsdale. The person said LA was less stressful because the people were friendlier. I too feel that way about Houston being less stressful than Phoenix.

I've considered Tampa, but it's too far away from family. I can't imagine ever moving cross country, but I never heard one negative about Tampa at all.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:29 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times
If you're not the person who also started this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...city-just.html then you should at least reach out and compare notes.

I am shocked there are still people who fantasize that they can move to a major city and have neighbors introduce themselves when you move in in 2023. That might happen in small towns if you're the right ethnic group but otherwise I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:38 PM

I will say, Texans are much more easy going than Arizonans. I transported a few Texans visiting Phoenix to a baseball game and for once I did not hear the f word being dropped in every sentence.

2-5 more months! Although sometimes I have 2nd thoughts and get hesitant, but then I remembered all the horrible things that happened in Phoenix and how no good things ever happened, and if they did, the people ruined it by cutting me off in their cars or being rude in public.

Texas definitely does not have a douchebag culture. Arizona is just a state where being a douchebag is the norm overall.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:15 AM

7,479 posts, read 3,219,325 times
It sounds like you have a bad case of grass is greener simplex 12.

Moving some place you have family is enough reason. You do not need to vilify an entire city in order to justify your decision.

I would not tell people in the new place what you are thinking. It makes you sound nuts. Keep your thought process to yourself and when you are in Houston tell people you moved to be nearer to family (keep it positive).

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 03-13-2023 at 12:58 AM..

Old 03-13-2023, 12:16 AM

554 posts, read 294,640 times
In my experience Houstonians are complete a-holes driving. Would NOT move here to get away from angry drivers- just look at all the shootings we’ve had from road ragers. Houston is definitely much more pretty than Phoenix. Being surrounded by all the greenery is very nice.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:54 AM

511 posts, read 399,343 times
DFW drivers are the worst in all of Texas. Period.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdad99 View Post
In my experience Houstonians are complete a-holes driving. Would NOT move here to get away from angry drivers- just look at all the shootings we’ve had from road ragers. Houston is definitely much more pretty than Phoenix. Being surrounded by all the greenery is very nice.
I bet in Houston, at least drivers don't roll down their windows and shout at you. I'm sure they don't cuss you out or give you the finger out their window. I could be wrong, but that's my assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston