Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 07:44 PM

4,438 posts, read 6,315,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
The National Weather Service seems to disagree with your memory.
https://www.weather.gov/fwd/dmosnow
This pretty much proved my point. We don't get measurable winter weather every Winter. I don't mind the variation in Winter weather up here though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 08:38 PM

19,869 posts, read 18,144,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Wow it was just an example of how a few degrees difference in the winter can make a big difference in what the weather is like for each metro. I never said it rains ice in DFW every winter wtf

And no, the 2011 event was a week long freeze over. I know because I lived it and it was during Super Bowl week. I called off work for a couple days and they cancelled school all week. Things didnt thaw out until Friday and completed thawed Saturday, so that event was 4-5 days before real relief came.

1. I didn't claim you said it rains ice in DFW every winter.

2. You flat out did say DFW gets week long rain ice events.

3. 2011 a week long freeze over?

Daily high temps. 2011 ice storm per

Jan. 31- 57F
Feb. 1 - 39F
Feb. 2 - 21F
Feb. 3 - 24F
Feb. 4 - 27F
Feb. 5 - 51F
Feb. 6 - 53F

I was in DFW as well. It sucked but it didn't rain ice for a week.

Old 04-03-2023, 10:33 PM

4,753 posts, read 2,984,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. I didn't claim you said it rains ice in DFW every winter.

2. You flat out did say DFW gets week long rain ice events.

3. 2011 a week long freeze over?

Daily high temps. 2011 ice storm per

Jan. 31- 57F
Feb. 1 - 39F
Feb. 2 - 21F
Feb. 3 - 24F
Feb. 4 - 27F
Feb. 5 - 51F
Feb. 6 - 53F

I was in DFW as well. It sucked but it didn't rain ice for a week.
Newsflash: it doesnt need to rain ice for a week for it to be a problem. what happened in DFW 2011 was some places would slightly melt off during the day because of direct sun but then everything refroze overnight creating very dangerous conditions like black ice. You dont remember how big of a deal this was?

Also Feb 5 was a Saturday when I said it started thawing out and then super bowl sunday the next day things kept melting. So yeah DFW is more likely to get a prolonged ice event just like Houston is more likely to get hit by a hurricane.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Newsflash: it doesnt need to rain ice for a week for it to be a problem. what happened in DFW 2011 was some places would slightly melt off during the day because of direct sun but then everything refroze overnight creating very dangerous conditions like black ice. You dont remember how big of a deal this was?

Also Feb 5 was a Saturday when I said it started thawing out and then super bowl sunday the next day things kept melting. So yeah DFW is more likely to get a prolonged ice event just like Houston is more likely to get hit by a hurricane.

Yeah but you wrote that it rains ice by the week here in DFW.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Yeah but you wrote that it rains ice by the week here in DFW.
You are too much. The point was ice can affect DFW for a prolonged amount of time. In the case of 2011, 99.9% of schools were closed, most white collar workers got off work for a week (and some getting their first look at WFH), etc., for an entire week. Not sure why you went on posting the daily highs then questioning if it was really a week long freeze over. Oh okay it was from Monday evening until Saturday morning, so not actually a full week lol wtf

You held onto the one line I said hyperbolically about raining ice instead of seeing the main point, yet you helped make my point.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
You are too much. The point was ice can affect DFW for a prolonged amount of time. In the case of 2011, 99.9% of schools were closed, most white collar workers got off work for a week (and some getting their first look at WFH), etc., for an entire week. Not sure why you went on posting the daily highs then questioning if it was really a week long freeze over. Oh okay it was from Monday evening until Saturday morning, so not actually a full week lol wtf

You held onto the one line I said hyperbolically about raining ice instead of seeing the main point, yet you helped make my point.

I posted facts that refuted your overstatement.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I posted facts that refuted your overstatement.
How does posting a weeks worth of below freezing temps refute my point that in 2011 there was a week long freeze over and DFW is more likely to get those vs Houston? Anyone who actually lived in DFW during 2011 knows what happened. Youre just trippin cause I said it rained ice all week sarcastically lmao

Old 04-04-2023, 12:38 PM

680 posts, read 277,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
This pretty much proved my point. We don't get measurable winter weather every Winter. I don't mind the variation in Winter weather up here though.
To remind you and EDS_, the claim was made that snow and ice are not an every year thing. (the exact quote: "I wouldn't say ice and snow are an every year thing in Dallas".

In the six winters prior to winter store Uri there are recorded snow and/or ice events every year.

https://www.weather.gov/fwd/dmosnow

In fact, the NWS records shown at the above link show snow and/or ice events every single year going back to the winter of 1898-1899.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:44 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,034,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
I have been following weather patterns and noticed that Dallas was usually 5 to 10 F cooler than Houston and at times when it was warm here meaning feels like at higher temperature due to humidity, Dallas was much cooler.

I thought there was no difference between the 2 cities except Dallas is hotter in the summer with slightly lower humidity?

Maybe, it was just this Winter?

All in All, this past Winter in Houston was much milder than the Winter of winter freeze. We have had much longer winter with more cold days before.
It's North Texas. Isn't it always colder than the Gulf Coast?

Old 04-08-2023, 10:25 PM

1,555 posts, read 783,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
It's North Texas. Isn't it always colder than the Gulf Coast?
That depends on where the cold air is coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston