Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:37 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times

Advertisements

Have they started construction on the U-line yet in Houston? I plan on moving down there in the fall to attend college at TSU and really looking foward to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 04:44 PM

958 posts, read 2,572,994 times
Last I heard of it, the US transportation department, denied the federal matching funds because the line wasn't going to have any real affect on traffic as advertised.

They stated that the studies conducted by metro was inaccurate and wanted new studies to be conducted before they would consider matching funds again.

As of right now, and thankfully so. The rail expansion I think is DOA.

Feds tell Metro to resubmit rail plan | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 05-31-2008, 08:46 PM

134 posts, read 326,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post

As of right now, and thankfully so. The rail expansion I think is DOA.
God I hope not.
Makes me really think twice about staying in Houston.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:00 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,143 times
Actually, it's a good idea to redraw the rail plans because the initial routes sucks. I mean, who wants to get on the University rail line and ride out to nowhere on West Park. It should be on Westhiemer and fly over every intersection.

Don't get me wrong, I've been in London, Chicago, and Manhattan and I love subways and elevated rail. But Houston has a terrible plan. The naysayers: US Senator John Culberson and Afton Oaks.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:47 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Actually, it's a good idea to redraw the rail plans because the initial routes sucks. I mean, who wants to get on the University rail line and ride out to nowhere on West Park. It should be on Westhiemer and fly over every intersection.

Don't get me wrong, I've been in London, Chicago, and Manhattan and I love subways and elevated rail. But Houston has a terrible plan. The naysayers: US Senator John Culberson and Afton Oaks.
I know what you mean, but after being an initial proponent of the same, I do not see how light rail is going to work on that curve. Aside from that I'd go for rail on Westheimer and closing it off to cars, making it all pedestrian/bikes/rail. Lower Westheimer, as it is, is useless as a thoroughfare. Too narrow and too curvy. I avoid driving this stretch of Westheimer whenever I can - I feel a lot safer on foot and I move just as fast if not faster. But I see how the Main Street (Red) Line curves as it shifts from Fannin to Greenbriar and back to Fannin before merging with Main. That can't be done in the current right-of-way of Westheimer, even if you close it off to all cars. You'd have to basically rearrange the whole thing. It should be Richmond/Wheeler the whole way.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Actually, from the posters on SSP, construction is about to start. A poster stated that Metro Solutions met in a tough meeting on the East End and construction will start sometime this month. That article that predator link is old and Houston has submitted new lines since the article. BTW, that article has Culberson screaming all over it.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:12 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
I HATE the stupid rail. It's a trolley ride up and down Main Street at this point. It congests traffic in the med center due to the downsizing of lanes. Interesting to see how the rail drivers - run the lights occasionally and other times, tie up the light for an incessant amount of time as auto drivers wait to cross in downtown (signal issues?). So if that is the best they can do, I hate to see that mishap spread citywide.

hmm.... let's see .... trying to cross main (on foot) downtown - you get the walk signal - you aren't halfway across before the signal changes back to don't walk and the rail driver is tooting that horn as if you've done something wrong by trying to cross.

Waiting to catch the rail at the Leeland station - homeless guy kept trying to pull on my sleeve in an attempt to ask for cash. I eventually left and walked to my destination - walked to the Metro office and told them I thought they had an obligation to keep the platforms safe for those who ride. They didn't agree but did give me my $2 fare back after I insisted solely because I paid and the homeless bothered me enough to make me walk instead of ride.

Trying to turn into a med center garage .. the turning lane where you have to actually get on the rail tracks to turn. A rail pulls up behind me ... I have a red light and the oncoming traffic on the opposite side of main has the green. The rail driver lays on his horn behind me trying to force me to run the light which I didn't and the fleetng thought to flip him off briefly crossed my mind but I didn't do that either. I did call Metro and complain - they really didn't care.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I HATE the stupid rail. It's a trolley ride up and down Main Street at this point. It congests traffic in the med center due to the downsizing of lanes. Interesting to see how the rail drivers - run the lights occasionally and other times, tie up the light for an incessant amount of time as auto drivers wait to cross in downtown (signal issues?). So if that is the best they can do, I hate to see that mishap spread citywide.

hmm.... let's see .... trying to cross main (on foot) downtown - you get the walk signal - you aren't halfway across before the signal changes back to don't walk and the rail driver is tooting that horn as if you've done something wrong by trying to cross.

Waiting to catch the rail at the Leeland station - homeless guy kept trying to pull on my sleeve in an attempt to ask for cash. I eventually left and walked to my destination - walked to the Metro office and told them I thought they had an obligation to keep the platforms safe for those who ride. They didn't agree but did give me my $2 fare back after I insisted solely because I paid and the homeless bothered me enough to make me walk instead of ride.

Trying to turn into a med center garage .. the turning lane where you have to actually get on the rail tracks to turn. A rail pulls up behind me ... I have a red light and the oncoming traffic on the opposite side of main has the green. The rail driver lays on his horn behind me trying to force me to run the light which I didn't and the fleetng thought to flip him off briefly crossed my mind but I didn't do that either. I did call Metro and complain - they really didn't care.
The line really should be redone as an el-train, although that probably can't happen until the rest of the lines are done. Then none of this would be a problem.

By the way - the rail doesn't go down Main through the Med Center - it goes down Fannin. So what exactly do you mean? Were you actually on Fannin?

Taking Main through TMC is no worse than it ever was.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:29 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The line really should be redone as an el-train, although that probably can't happen until the rest of the lines are done. That'd eliminate all that completely, though.

By the way - the rail doesn't go down Main through the Med Center - it goes down Fannin. So what exactly do you mean? Were you actually on Fannin?

Taking Main through TMC is no worse than it ever was.
Oops meant to say Fannin - thanks for the correction.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:31 AM

Ok. I was a little confused.

If I need to go into TMC I just park at South Fannin and ride the rail or enter a garage along Main.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston