Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:22 AM

200 posts, read 900,212 times

Advertisements

I have seen builder incentives of 40 to 60K off on inventory homes. Due to that I have upped my price to 300K anticipating going out at 240-260 Should I be buying in Cinco or elsewhere? Once again I want trees and I have no school age kids, will not use the amenities, This is my "box house " and I want something nice and will add a pool or buy at 280 with a pool. I will work at the 6 and 59.

I know buy in master planned is what everyone does but I am single and just want near great restaurants, shopping etc. Like the Cinco shopping area. Just concerned I should buy elsewhere. I am also open to some rural area or a nice patio/cluster home with a lot big enough for a pool.
I am so confused after looking at the following areas and not certain if they are where I should be.

Lake Olympia
Cinco Ranch
New Territory
Greatwood
Sienna Plantation
Pecan Grove
First Colony

I will be writing contract in next 2 days and need some input from you guys that live in those areas.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 06:02 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Out of your list I would rank Cinco and First Colony the best two.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:57 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,829,811 times
If you are working at 6 and 59, the commute from First Colony or New Territory would be super easy. For great restaurants and shopping, you'll be driving to Houston. For good restaurants and shopping, First Colony and New Territory are fine (I'd put Cinco Ranch in the "fine" but not great category, too).

The trade off is that homes in mature neighborhoods like First Colony and New Territory are older than those in newer communities. Better commute from your work location but older house. Are you sure there are any builder incentives in First Colony or New Territory? My impression is that both of these were built out years ago. So that might rule those two out if you are seeking a new home.

Honestly, I don't think people should buy houses when they feel so ambivalent. With transaction costs included, it can be a very expensive mistake if you decide in a few months you don't like a specific area. Are you sure you don't want to park your money in a CD for a year and rent instead?

Last edited by Topaz; 05-31-2008 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: Added question about builder incentives

Old 05-31-2008, 08:50 AM

I meant I was looking at houses in all those areas not specifically new construction. Only in Richmond and Cinco Ranch new stuff. I have too many pets to rent.

No I really want to buy and just be done with all this stress from looking. I just wanted to know the consenses of those on the board that Cinco Ranch is a great place to invest that dollar amount or somewhere around it.

Thanks again.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVH View Post
I meant I was looking at houses in all those areas not specifically new construction. Only in Richmond and Cinco Ranch new stuff. I have too many pets to rent.

No I really want to buy and just be done with all this stress from looking. I just wanted to know the consenses of those on the board that Cinco Ranch is a great place to invest that dollar amount or somewhere around it.

Thanks again.
Ah, that makes sense. Landlords usually hate pets.

I think the bottom line is that you would have to REALLY dislike the options close to work to buy in Cinco Ranch. Cinco Ranch is so similar to some of the other choices you've listed, it doesn't make sense to do a longer commute, unless there is something emotionally drawing you to Cinco Ranch.

In our case, we were emotionally drawn to living near the new Whole Foods Market, Lifetime Fitness, and Walker Station Elementary. We haven't regretted our decision, even though it meant a longer commute.

But all other things being equal, choose the low stress commute.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:00 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,763,614 times
BEVH, you should do yourself a favor and check out Long Meadow Farms | Life with a Texas Flavor (http://www.longmeadowfarms.net/index.htm - broken link) in Richmond(just south of Cinco and Seven Meadows), ask about section 11,12,13 and 14 called Pecan Meadows and Grove Park. They're located just past The Oyster creek bridge and it's a very beautiful area with Tall mature Oak trees, river creeks and walking trials ect.... The developer did a very nice job leaving the natural beauty there and building around it.

The Builders in that section is Aston Woods, J Patrick and Village and The price should fit your range, also remember this is a buyers market so be patient and let them chase after you with some deals

Old 05-31-2008, 03:50 PM

156 posts, read 511,516 times
Is property tax a determining factor at all? I seem to remember that property taxes in Cinco are quite a bit higher than in Sugar Land...

Old 05-31-2008, 06:32 PM

After today with the realtor, I want to never move to Houston. Went to cinco r and she had no clue where she was, where the model homes were got mad when I demanded to see the Simply Cinco home center to get info how to get to the model homes, had me use the GPS (mind) to get her around and I did not even get to look at the area having to use that. Then got lost going back and this was supposed to be some hot shot realtor. I called the relo dept. and said find someone else fast. Topaz after this crap, I doubt I would look in Cinco again but where are there nice homes with trees around there?

Old 05-31-2008, 08:05 PM

Oh, goodness, I am so sorry that happened to you. I do sympathize...after 4 experiences with different realtors, I almost became a realtor myself just to avoid ever having to hire one again. Then I realized how silly that would be as I would hate being a realtor.

I don't live near Cinco Ranch so I can't help with that particular area. My bias is Sugar Land because I'm familiar with it and we enjoy living here. Telfair has newer houses but few trees yet because it isn't a finished community. First Colony and New Territory only have a few houses that are single story and they are older homes. Here is an example.

Resale on the above home should be excellent because parents really want those schools.

Also, did you look in Sienna Plantation and Riverstone? Both seem like they would be easier commutes for you than Cinco Ranch. I'm not sure about the trees there but the location would be good.

I hope you get a better realtor next time!

Old 05-31-2008, 10:32 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVH View Post
After today with the realtor, I want to never move to Houston.
Why "never" move to Houston? Where did your realtor take you around Houston? Lot of young, single people want to live in the urban city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston