Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:03 AM

153 posts, read 305,894 times

Advertisements

So after seeing our power bill this month (280 bucks! For an 1150 sf apartment!) we're definitely changing providers. Since we're moving, it's the perfect time for it, anyway.

I'd love to lock in the rate, but I'm a bit wary of locking myself into a 12-month contract when it's summer and rates are already high.

Does anyone have an experience with Green Mountain energy? They've got a decent intro rate right now, where you get 3 months at 14.9 fixed and no monthly fee. So I could conceivably take that one, and then look again once the fixed term is up, which would put us in September.

Otherwise, it looks like Amigo is probably the best bet, with a variable 14.8 and no fee. Or Ambit is a possibility, too, given they're super cheap but have a pretty hefty fee if you use beneath 1000 kwh, which is going to by dicey in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 11:50 AM

45 posts, read 391,087 times
I just had the same issue. I had a 12 month $.10 contract with Dynowatt, but I didn't pay attention and last month it was $.23. Crazy...

You're doing the right thing, just make sure the contract doesn't have an early termination fee after 3 months. Then switch to a 12 month plan in the middle of winter when rates are at their lowest.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:54 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
There's something wrong if an apartment that size has a $280 bill at all. Is it 2nd floor? Do you have a programmable digital thermostat? Does the AC work properly??

My house is twice that size and the peak of the summer I use about 1300-1400 kWh each for July and Aug. Since my electric company went belly-up, I'll be looking at about $210-220 for those peak months.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 PM

Like rtrip, ours is with Dynowatt, and the rate jumped from about 16 to 22 last month. And we used over 1300 kwh, which is the most we've ever used.

We do have some strange rooms in the apartment -- our front room, which is used for an office so has three computers running in it, is never the right temperature, so if we're leeching air, it's there. First floor apartment, but the two bedrooms face west. We had some a/c problems, but they weren't in April-May. They're just oldish.

I may just have to do the Green Mountain. It's actually not a contract - it's just a guaranteed fixed rate for three months, then goes back to variable. No termination fee, either.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:08 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
The sun is only in the western sky for a few hours. Even with all that running it still sounds like you're using way too much energy. Lights and computers may take $10-20/mo altogether, cooking about $30-40 if you do it every day, and the AC is essentially the rest - the biggest culprit by far. I'd be willing to bet that you either have an AC problem, weatherstripping issues, or you like to set it inefficiently cold. Just some thoughts to help you reduce your bill.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:14 PM

Yeah, it's probably AC and weatherstripping.

Our air is usually between 75 and 80 (averaging around 78) so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

Fortunately, we're moving in two weeks so with luck we'll have a more efficient apartment!

Old 06-05-2008, 03:17 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiabelle View Post
Otherwise, it looks like Amigo is probably the best bet, with a variable 14.8 and no fee. Or Ambit is a possibility, too, given they're super cheap but have a pretty hefty fee if you use beneath 1000 kwh, which is going to by dicey in the summer.
Are you sure about that? I am/was on Amigo and they have jacked up variable rates in recent months. In April it was 15.5 cents and in May went to 19.9 cents. Current variable rates on their website (code VARJUN) shows 21.5 cents for Centerpoint (Houston) area.

I switched to Reliant E24 plan at 13 cents until 9/22/2008 and then 14.5 cents after that. I don't foresee energy prices sliding much in the next 24 months. Or at least, I think the potential increase is a much bigger risk than any potential decrease. I think waiting until fall and hoping to see much lower rates is a risky move in this energy climate. A friend who works for a REP told me to lock up something now because we haven't even seen the full effects of the current natural gas prices.

Another tip for all those switching. Normally, it takes 4 to 6 weeks to complete a switch because they notify the PUC and other provider, a postcard is sent to you giving you a chance to object (anti-slamming procedure but adds a few weeks delay), then the switch is done at the next scheduled meter read. So that's up to six weeks you're paying that higher rate (presumably, since you're switching) instead of your new lower rate. Instead, call your new provider and ask for a "mid cycle switch" and you'll pay a $6 fee for Centerpoint to read the meter, which can take 6 to 10 business days but that's better than six weeks.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:51 PM

257 posts, read 986,579 times
Default Ebills

I got a call from my service Rep at Reliant energy today and they notified me that my electricity and evryone elses was going up 21% this year.I level this bill and thats a heck of an increase all at once.Inflation is going to become an incredible problem now and in the future with energy costs going up like this.I say drill,drill, drill even in my back yard if you can find it.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:39 PM

958 posts, read 2,573,626 times
Power to Choose

use this site to compare your rates.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:41 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
When we got an outrageous electric bill, it turned out there were holes in the A/C system...the air was literally blowing out the holes, along with our money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston