Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 7,057 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Me and my husband are from Edmonton Canada. And we are looking into moving to the southern United states. I have been looking into a few places but one place where I know people moved to was Houston. A place called humble. I am 25 Yrs old and My husband is 28yrs old and we have 2 Daughters oldest one 3 and youngest one. I am looking to live in a very Family orientated Suburb with housing around 250,000. I am interested in Building as well so if anyone could tell me of some good Suburbs around houston that family Orientated Good Schools and obviously very Safe. Also My husband plans to find a job before we go down there and He is an Electrician so any info for that as well would be a great help. And Please fill me in the whole Snake thing!!! I am extremely Terrified so is it true when they say Texas is known for that? For everyone who can help with any Info I would really appreciate it. Thankyou very much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 11:52 AM

799 posts, read 3,694,285 times
You will rarely see snakes if at all in Houston. Once in awhile you may come across a grass snake. If you get yourself a female cat, you won't have to worry about it. I am a native and had 1 grass snake in my entire life that made it into my house because the kids left the door open. I have seen coral snakes so it can happen just not likely enough to worry.
As far as suburbs, I can't speak for Humble as I have not been out there in years and I hear they have made it nice out that way although it didn't use to be. My area of town, you could consider Klein(77379), Tomball, Cy-fair, and The Woodlands although TW can get pricey depending on what kind of home you are looking for. I know Kingwood is nice too but I am not sure of the price point.
An electrician should have no trouble finding work.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:57 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,856 times
Family friendly: Sugar Land, Woodlands, Katy (cinco ranch), many, many more....

Old 04-23-2008, 04:51 PM

5 posts, read 5,177 times
I would recommend Spring or the Woodlands over the Humble area, unless you head just past to Atascocita or Kingwood. I currently live in Humble now and many of the schools have merely acceptable or unacceptable ratings. There are a few decent schools here, but you would need to do a lot of research first. Moderator cut: real estate agent advertising/soliciting not allowed
good luck to you! i <3 Canadians. My fiance and his family are from there, as well is my best friend. I hope you enjoy it here, but you will definitely miss the snow!

Last edited by da jammer; 04-23-2008 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-23-2008, 07:45 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
If you move to the Spring area, go to Klein ISD. Spring ISD is experiencing major demographic shifts - Westfield HS already has blue collar inner city characteristics, as does DeKaney (which opened to relieve Westfield). It seems like you want a white collar suburban environment.

In Klein ISD Klein Forest HS is like DeKaney and Westfield, but Klein Oak, Klein Collins, and Klein are more white collar.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:48 PM

136 posts, read 894,190 times
May be no snakes in Houston proper but you will see them in the burbs. I saw lots of snakes in 7 years in the Woodlands. Hate em too but it wouldn't stop me from moving back there - I loved it - I am in Calgary now.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,473 times
Default Recommendations and questions

Hi,

We live in Houston and are planning on moving to Edmonton over the summer, so we actually have a couple of questions, but first we should give some feedback to your posting. We like the areas on the Western side of the city. The closer to the Galleria, the more established the neighboorhoods are, but also more expensive. Bellaire is very nice, but in our view a bit overpriced. We live in Meyerland, which is just south of Bellaire, and the prices are very reasonable here. Schools are very good, in particular the Bellaire High Shool, but I guess it will be a few more years before your kids will need it ... Meyerland is on the soutwest corner of the 610 loop, which is the inner beltway of Houston. Five minutes drive to the Galleria, another five minutes to downtown (with no traffic). A little further away from the city center you have Sugar Land, around 15 miles down the Southwest Freeway (59). It is a very nice city that has several times been voted one of the best cities to live by people magazine, I think. Houses are very reasonably priced and schools are very good. The further away from the city you go, the more likely it is that you will run into snakes. At least that is what I have heard ... I have been here for four years now, and have never seen a snake. So I wouldn't worry too much about them. I have more of a problem with the cockroach'es. They are extremely big, they are everywhere, and some of them even fly (according to our friend ...).

Now we have a question for you. I am going to work in the Edmonton research park. Where would you recommend to look for accomodation? We are a family with two kids and two dogs. We'd like a yard and to not be too far away from work.

Thanks for your time, and good luck with your move.

The Lindvig Family.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:44 AM

257 posts, read 986,804 times
Default snakes

Why are people so scared of snakes?I have 6 hog nosed snakes living in my backyard now and have never had problems with mice rats etc. even though I have a barn and horses and mules.They slither all over the place in the evening munching down on vermin and are totally harmless to humans.My kids have never been scared of snakes and have been taught which ones to look out for.City people are always screaming about harming the environment but see no problem with killing snakes spiders etc etc that are here for a reason, they control very harmful pests that ruin crops and spread illness.Basically you have an entire generation that only sticks its nose in a laptop all day and knows nothing about nature ,its quite sad.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 7,057 times
Thankyou for all your info! I actully know someone who works at the edmonton research park and seems to like it. Well depending on what you are looking for there are 2 newer areas that are Right by there called Ellerslie Crossing and Summerside! Pricie but as I am sure you know everythig is pricie. If you are looking for a really good family place there is a little town ( I actually live in it) It's actually not little like it was but still a small very nice and Safe town. People don't even lock there doors. It's called Beaumont you could Find a house here easy and for a yard anything like 10 Yrs old you will have a very good yard and that is pretty much anywhere you go. Beaumont is very close to your job and all sorts of shoping. Your company is right by south commom so there is everything there from Grocery shopping to resturaunts pretty much anything we need that's where we go. But there is tons of stuff here in beaumont to. Like a few grocery stores. (good ones) Resturaunts and gas stations like you have eveything you need hear. Your kids would do very well here it is a fabulous place to raise kids very good schools and lot's for kids to do here. If you have any more questions cause I could tell you alot you can email me at ksmithr11@yahoo.ca and I would love to help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston