U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,890 times

Advertisements

I've been perusing through the boards and found some great information and insight. However, I wanted to ask a more pointed question to those Houstonians. I will be relocating to Houston from the Boston area in the near future. My new job will be in the Greenspoint area (I believe that is what it's called) near IC Airport.

As I look at places to live, I believe that midtown, the heights or montrose area appears to fit best with my interests and lifestyle. (I've lived in a downtown, urban setting for the last 4 years.) However, I am wondering about commuting from those areas to Greenspoint. From what I can tell, traffic is generally a bear and I'm thinking there's no such thing as "reverse commuting" in Houston... Any thoughts on commuting times (generally speaking) or then suggestions for other areas to look at. I have heard from others at my new office that live in The Woodlands. While it sounds nice and tranquil, it might be too quiet and family-oriented.

Oh, I will be looking to rent rather than buy as it is unclear how long I'll be in Houston.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 12:44 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,680,253 times
I'm moving to houston as well, next month.
try to check the historical archives http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/
you can set the time and flip thru "days" so you can see how consistent traffic is in some areas.
I'm from NYC Metro, I'm kinda going for easy by bus, easy by car, easy alternate route and quick drive into uptown late nights in Houston - kinda like the boroughs/ghettos of NYC

Old 01-08-2007, 01:32 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,734,790 times
You might concentrate on the Heights area... that is on the north side of downtown and will put you a little closer to your job than Montrose or Midtown.

I used to reverse commute when I lived in town and had a suburban job... it wasn't too bad.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,154,084 times
If you want a neighborhood with a feel that would be the closest resemblance to a northeast urban neighborhood, I would focus on Midtown. There are a couple of nice new developments down there within walking distance of a market, drug store, restaurants, bars, etc. It's where I would live if I moved to Houston.

Montrose is a neat area, but it is still pretty spread out, which means you will be driving everywhere for everything. The density there is about like Los Angeles, so that will give you an idea of the walkability of the area.

The Heights is nice, but I think it is more catered to home buyers. If you were going to stay in Houston for an extended period of time and wanted to buy an older home to fix up, that would be the place. But, it's still pretty residential and you can't walk to as many places as you can in Midtown.

Good luck with everything. I am moving to Boston in May (Northend) and I can't wait.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,890 times
Thanks for all you thoughts. I appreciate any input.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 PM

2,606 posts, read 8,166,823 times
Nothing in Houston is really all that "pedestrian friendly." If you are looking for the eclectic urban environment, I would definitely say Montrose or Heights. Midtown is a nice area, very popular, but it is mostly garden style apartments, drive thru banks, CVS, Walgreens, etc. that are no more urban than your typical suburban developments. The exception being Post Midtown.

The reverse commute is not bad at all. I would recommend getting an "EZ tag" which lets you sale thru the toll booths on the Hardy Autobahn, I mean Hardy toll road. The Hardy will get you in and out quickly.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:14 AM

15 posts, read 110,019 times
You are probably right with the Montrose,Heights, or Midtown area b/c the suburbs are generally boring, and family oriented. Although the Heights is a great area it is more of a place to buy a house than rent like the other person said. Well, it depends if you are looking for an apartment or a duplex or even a rental house. The Heights has some rental houses but not the greatest apartments. Montrose and Midtown have great apartments and duplexes..and even fourplexes. Depending where you are in Montrose it's very easy to not have to drive far. Most places in the area have cafe's just a couple blocks away and a grocery store a couple blocks the other way. Hope this helps..sorry I know nothing about the traffic on the freeways here b/c I mainly stay inside the loop,haha.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 13,092 times
Hieghts is Good genenrally speaking. Lerts move Forward.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:39 PM

299 posts, read 943,115 times
If you are working up at greenspoint you might also consider living down FM-1960 west of I-45. Not real an "urban center" like a downtown or midtown area, but a good concentration of restaurants, night life, movie theaters, malls, etc. Further from sports, museums, and theaters though so I guess it depends on what exactly your interests are.

May potentially be cheaper than heights and midtown as well.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:10 PM

9,053 posts, read 15,598,950 times
I am sure OP is already here - thread is over 3 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston