Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 20,583 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking for homes in the Houston area for several weeks now, and we finally found a home we really like in NW Houston. The house itself is very nice (and in a nice neighborhood), but the backyard is very small. Just on the other side of the wall in the backyard is an office park. Nothing grungy (dentists & doctors offices), but it is pretty visible from the home, especially if you are standing upstairs and look out the large windows in the den.

How much of a drawback is that for you? The house has been on the market for a long time, and I'm starting to think that's the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 07:32 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
It's a draw back, and one that should be reflected in the price you pay. Just remember when it comes your turn to sell though, bargain in, bargain out!

Old 06-21-2008, 07:56 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,143 times
I couldn't be that bad. Here is what it's like in Houston without zoning :

Attached Thumbnails
House that backs up to commercial property...how bad?-img_1005.jpg  

Old 06-21-2008, 09:55 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
It's a draw back, and one that should be reflected in the price you pay. Just remember when it comes your turn to sell though, bargain in, bargain out!
Ditto

Old 06-22-2008, 09:50 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,309 times
Make a low offer...see if they accept...then plant a bunch of trees so that they will block the view in and out of your property. Maybe the privacy screen of trees will be mature by the time you need to sell.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:52 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Just remember that office parks change tenants alot. One of the biggest problems I've encountered with folks who live adjacent to strip centers and office parks is the dumpsters. Dumpsters can cause unnattractive odors and trash problems. Also exhaust from diesels making deliveries.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:26 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
What you are describing, Realtors call "functional obsolescence". Meaning there is a funtional defect about the property that can not be fixed.

Some one did mention to plant some good tall trees. What about the 5 AM garbage trucks coming behind those buildings.....your back yard to empty those dumpsters? At least twice a week you will not sleep in.

As of this writing there are 41,037 single family homes for sale in Houston. Are you telling us you cant find one nicer then one that backs to an office park?

Homes like that usually can not sell and eventually turn into a rental. Soon the next door neighbors cant sell theirs either so they rent it out. Soon the whole block is dominated by renters and at this point it already is a dump. Property values are lost at this point with no hope of recovery.

Go look around some more. Do not let your heart buy a house. Instead use your head to buy smart. In the long run you will make money on your investment.

Good luck.

Maybe come on back and let us know how you make out?

Old 06-22-2008, 11:49 AM

410 posts, read 1,681,877 times
How much of a drawback is that for you? The house has been on the market for a long time, and I'm starting to think that's the reason.

In the n/nw burb's... backing to commercial is not a good thing. Even if you get a heck of a deal you still need to be looking at resale. There are too many other homes to consider. Stay away from homes that back to commercial or busy streets...the resale will kill you Sunny

Old 06-22-2008, 12:28 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
I think you could get away with it in River Oaks, Memorial or Tanglewood. You know, places where people buy for location.

I think in the suburbs it would be an instant loss.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:38 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
Default What about this?

Shopping online I see a house I like that backs up to the Lifetime Fitness in Cinco Ranch. Can't tell how much view there is, but there appears to be a significant buffer between the property line and the outdoor pool area...might get a little noisy in the daytime but who knows...anyone think this is a bad idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston