U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 13,519 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to Woodlands/Tomball area. My husband will be working in the Tomball area. We have a 13 year old, a four year old and one on the way, so good schools are very important to us. We are investigating Creekside, but would consider areas outside Creekside (in Tomball?) that would still allow good schools and easy access to woodlands amenities. Would appreciate any information. Also, we are considering renting a home for the first 6 months to a year and would appreciate any sources for that. We'd like something newer, and in a good neighborhood. We'd appreciate any and all information about the area. Thanks very kindly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 11:59 AM

130 posts, read 433,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmango View Post
We are looking to relocate to Woodlands/Tomball area. My husband will be working in the Tomball area. We have a 13 year old, a four year old and one on the way, so good schools are very important to us. We are investigating Creekside, but would consider areas outside Creekside (in Tomball?) that would still allow good schools and easy access to woodlands amenities. Would appreciate any information. Also, we are considering renting a home for the first 6 months to a year and would appreciate any sources for that. We'd like something newer, and in a good neighborhood. We'd appreciate any and all information about the area. Thanks very kindly.
There are usually homes in The Woodlands for lease or rent. That would give you an idea what it is like to live here or in the new village of Creekside which is going to be beautiful. It is being built at a very rapid rate and connections by bike and trail are being planned now.

My area blog which is targeted for Woodlands residents but contains various related info applicable to the general area - Woodlands Commentary

I had a salon in Tomball near the village. I got to know the area fairly well. There are other subdivisions, of you want to use the amenities of The Woodlands, I highly encourage you to move to it proper.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:15 PM

407 posts, read 1,662,007 times
If your husband is working in Tomball then you have a lot of options in Tomball, Magnolia and the Woodlands. You also have areas of Klein ISD open to you . We live in the southern end of Tomball ISD and I really like the district and the area. Since you don't mention a price range for your home, it's hard to recommend specific areas. You can always start with HAR.com and choose the school district, price range and home age to get started.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:22 PM

87 posts, read 368,572 times
I was told that Tomball ISD was not as good as Conroe so we stopped considering creekside - is this true or not?

Old 06-15-2008, 07:02 AM

They are both good schools districts with good schools. Conroe ISD ceratinly has some schools that you would not want to be in. Indainspringsguy mentioned that he writes a blog about the Woodlands. Here is the link to a specific article that was written about Tomball ISD and Creekside. I agree with all points. Also realize that the schools in the Woodlands are very large compared to TISD and some people feel that they are to competitive and stressful for the kids. The new elementary will be open soon and promises to be a very good school. If you are open to other areas surrounding Tomball, I would consider the southern end that attends Lakewood Elementary also.

Woodlands Texas Commentary: Tomball school district for the Village of Creekside Park, The Woodlands Texas

Old 06-16-2008, 03:37 PM

6 posts, read 21,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmomto2 View Post
I was told that Tomball ISD was not as good as Conroe so we stopped considering creekside - is this true or not?
I am also searching for a Home in the woodlands now. I really like what I have read and heard from creekside and think I incline towards this area from a home perspective, however I also have heard that conroe ISD is better than tomball in general. I have an 7 yr old that will start 2nd grade and a 14 yr old that starts 9th grade and I am prepared to purchase a home in some of the older villages (Sterling ridge) to be able to attend one of the conroe elementary schools (i.e Tough elem) and The Woodlands Highschool as opposed to Tomball Highschool if this is really better or if there is a serious reason to be concerned about Tomball isd.

I really appreciate your comments, I have read the article by Indianspring guy and it looks promising, however there is no mention of the Highschool here.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:55 PM

799 posts, read 3,530,086 times
There is nothing wrong with Tomball schools and that should not be a consideration between Tomball and The Woodlands. They are both good districts.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:44 AM

14 posts, read 51,403 times
I live in Village Creek (Tomball) and love the neighborhood. Very family friendly and reasonable prices.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 AM

I can certainly understand why anyone looking to purchase a home in the Woodlands would be concerned about Creekside because it's zoned to TISD. It's different, it's unknown, it could be a risk. But I really don't think there's any reason to discount the neighborhood solely because of the the schools. Tomball HS is a good school. Is it better than the Woodlands HS? Who knows? They are so close, you're really splitting hairs. The TAKS scores are slightly better at WHS. But look at the avg SAT score, 1010 v. 1008***. Pretty close. If you haven't already done so, look through this thread also, look at the charts and for the high schools you're considering.

//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...ston-area.html

Two years ago, when TISD was deciding if we needed a bond, I was involved in a sub-committee that was looking at our population growth and if we needed new schools. The population of Creekside will have a huge impact on our relatively small district. I think it's estimated to increase our size by 1/3. That IS significant. Understand that Creekside won't just attend Tomball HS, it will alter it's demographics, it will change it. Factor in that we're building a second high school in the south and Creekside will have an even bigger impact on THS demographics.

Of course, that's a few years off and you have a student starting next year. I do too. I have full confidence in THS. My daughter actually attended classes there last year as an 8th grader. She and 8 other students have accelerated beyond (2+ years over) the classes offered at the Junior High and the district allowed them to attend math and science classes at the high school. It also provides the transportation to take them back to the Junior High! The school is large but at 2,900 students it's smaller than the 3,500 attending WHS. I think the academics and opportunities offered at the school are excellent. Of course, our football is not great so if that bothers you then you'd be better off in CISD.

*** I'm finding different stats at different places. This spreadsheet has THS at 1030 and the The Woodlands High School is not listed.
Google Docs - children at risk 2008 web

Last edited by citizen_jane; 06-17-2008 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-17-2008, 03:51 PM

6 posts, read 21,982 times
Txs for the help. 2 comments and questions:

1) I have checked the ratings for both HS and it seems both Tomball HS and woodlands HS are rated only as 'Acceptable', is this not quite low?, I thought that after hearing and reading all the great things from woodlands HS (especially) it would be higher ranked?, if not 'exemplary' at least recognized... what seems to be affecting these ratings , for both schools?? What other stats/ratings/etc.. should I be looking at to help me decide amongst the two?

2) Also, of greater concern now seems to be the elementary, I checked the Tomball elem which I believe is what my child would attend if living in Creekside, and although it ranked 'Acceptable' in 07 and 'recognized' in 06 it is ranked only with a 3 out of 10 by GreatSchools.net!!, this seems to be a serious cause of concern, in the other hand Tough elementary (if living in Sterling) is ranked as 'Exemplary' for both yeas in mention and Great schools gives it a 10/10. I am also thinking that the new Creekside school should take kids living there in 09 school year, so I am assuming my child would only go 1 year to Tomball and then move to the new school, which I am assuming would be very good given the area it will serve?

Again, Thanks for the help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>