Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 21,444 times

Advertisements

I am a New Yorker soon to be Houstonian. I rented a home in the Fortbend area and am looking for the best Elementary school for my daughter who is going to the fourth grade. I just found out her zoned school is Barbara Jordan Elemantary and everything I researched says this is not up to my academics standards.
My daughter is coming from a free public charter school were she learned Mandarin Chinese everyday since Kindergarten. I know that she will not be able to continue the dual language in school and I will have to pay for it going forwarded but I need her to be in the best school.

Are there any teachers who can recommend the best school without bias of their own school? I am a single parent so an after school program in the school would help if that is offered in the Texas school system.

BTW my daughter is black and has no issues with race and I would like a school that practices the same.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 11:20 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,077,459 times
I would look into seeing if FBISD allows transfers. If so, see where your daughter is eligible to go.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Thank You

I appreciate your response. I've been here since 7/4/07 and the districts are confusing. I have found out that I can apply for an inner district transfer but I have to register her in the zoned school first.

Private school is looking better and better its just the cost are astronomical.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:32 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,822 times
Recommend Private. Since you're a single parent with only one income, most private schools have tuition assistance you just have to do tons of paperwork. There are many private institutions in and around Houston it's just a matter of surfing the net to locate them. Many will mail you an information package, once you've narrowed it down then you can contact the person in the financial department regarding tuition assistance.

My neice used to go to elementary in Ft. Bend and years ago i understood that things were great however, over the years my sister-in-law said that the quality dwindled. She's now in Jr. High and I understand that it's even worse and they don't live in a bad neigborhood either (go figure).

BTW heres a link to various Houston private schools, I'm sure they have individual links to each school you're interested in. Houston Private Schools - HAIS - Houston Area Independent Schools

Old 07-17-2007, 08:02 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,578,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnjeri View Post
I am a New Yorker soon to be Houstonian. I rented a home in the Fortbend area and am looking for the best Elementary school for my daughter who is going to the fourth grade. I just found out her zoned school is Barbara Jordan Elemantary and everything I researched says this is not up to my academics standards.
My daughter is coming from a free public charter school were she learned Mandarin Chinese everyday since Kindergarten. I know that she will not be able to continue the dual language in school and I will have to pay for it going forwarded but I need her to be in the best school.

Are there any teachers who can recommend the best school without bias of their own school? I am a single parent so an after school program in the school would help if that is offered in the Texas school system.

BTW my daughter is black and has no issues with race and I would like a school that practices the same.

Thank you
Why can't she continue the dual language?

Old 07-18-2007, 12:17 PM

168 posts, read 772,870 times
Fort Bend ISD doesn't offer foreign languages in elementary, but they do have English as a Second Language (ESL) programs and Clements High offers several languages. Maybe if you check with Ft Bend's administration you can locate a Mandarin speaking teacher that can tutor your daughter. There are also many high school students that do volunteer work to get good references for college applications. Ask Ft. Bend to put you in touch with the director of their community services (sorry, can't remember the lady's name) and see if you can find a Chinese student that can tutor and babysit after school. High school gets out half an hour before elementary so the timing could work nicely. I once got a couple of soccer players to help me coach my son's team in exchange for a good reference. You could also advertise in one of the local papers, the Ft. Bend Star and the Sun is delivered free in Sugar Land, not sure if it is in Richmond though.

If the Mandarin just doesn't work out there is no shortage of Spanish speakers here.

Fort Bend ISD's website should tell you which campuses have after-school programs. The only one I know of personally is Settler's Way Elementary. My son went there for 3 years and I thought it was an excellent school with lots of parent involvement and volunteers. We didn't go to the after school program, but one of my son's friends did and his mom thought it was fabulous.

Good luck and welcome to Texas!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
Richmond's paper is The Fort Bend Herald, located in Rosenberg.

I never had the option of taking Chinese at any point of my school daze...er, days (same thing, really) and never for elementary school. I never took an actual foreign language class (Spanish) until 7th grade. Indeed you are most likely you are going to have to go private if you want anything dual-language at the elementary level. Most public elementary school teachers are doing great just to get the kids to read and understand English.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:45 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,688,134 times
There are a handful of public school dual-language programs at the elementary level in the Houston area, mostly Spanish. HISD's Kolter Elementary is a foreign language magnet and the only one I know of offering Chinese, along with Japanese, French, and Spanish.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Much appreciative

I want to thank everyone for their responses. I can"t afford the private schools this year but will be the first at registration next year so I can have more time to fill out the forms.

I am awaiting news from my district on my inner district transfer request. Still looking into the Mandarin tutoring

Old 08-14-2007, 03:26 PM

168 posts, read 772,870 times
I saw a flyer not long ago from one of the local child care centers saying they offered Mandarin. I believe it was Child Time (or something similar) next to Colony Meadows Elementary on Sweetwater Blvd. I meant to tell you at the time but had internet problems for a week and forgot to get back to you, very sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston