Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:44 PM

4 posts, read 63,880 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm....thanks Niknak,
That's interesting! A fixer-upper is not within our future. Although I may look at some investment property in the area you mentioned. So these suburbs that I'm reading about...what is the diversity like in those areas? I have clients in million dollar homes (areas that are considered suburbs of Houston) but not impressed with the diversity. I thought Houston made the Black Enterprise list of best or up and coming places to live for African-Americans in the last few years. What makes this so? I assumed therein, that I might find a cluster of areas similar to what exists in places like Atlanta and some areas of Maryland where household incomes are in the six figures, communities are gated and people are African-American. But that's cool. We''ll do a mixed bag. Thanks again for your input.

And...alexander59, don't sweat it, it's a cultural learning curve! lol.

Now how about the vegan/vegetarian issue? (Restuarants, organic markets, etc..)

Old 01-12-2007, 04:28 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphoplaw View Post
Are you kidding me.....You really should get out more. Do some traveling to more progressive areas of the country where the "ethnic class" is doing quite well these days in the good ole USA!

hehe relax. I'm looking for the same thing(place), except i'm asian, software developer. I'm just looking for US average living and easy access to work and international food
well i only spent 2 days during my house hunting and I am not really good at it. but i think in your case you should be looking for a small subdivision with a high price range. it would be gated and fenced and close to or within the outer loop.
Being asian the one i found was near chinatown area (i think thats what the locals call it). it has mixed people, legal & illegal maybe, but not within our community walls. houses are unoccupied yet but seeing the low price range in all other subdivisions I'm hoping i'd get the average joes i want to be neighbors with.
Asians has a lot of vegetables in their diet. the Vietnamese practically serve their greens uncooked, uncut and undressed Then theres tofu. cant you buy organic stuff online

i dont know if it would help but try http://www.brainyzip.com/zipcodes/77/77088.html
to get some idea about race, averages etc.

goodluck

Old 01-12-2007, 06:23 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,666 times
Quote:
Why ask why? Is it an offense to have a preference? We all have a comfort level. I ask for what I want and hope I'll get it. No shame...no blame or judgment...it is what it is. BUT if you need answers...I'm hoping to replicate a lifestyle that I and my family are accustom to. If this is offensive, I guess the question IS - WHY?

The reason hiphoplaw wants to stay in a black community is because blacks are universally disliked by many regardless of their educational level of achievements. In addition, many people feel comfortable among people looking similiar to them.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:38 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
I would not be too quick to rule out the Riverside Terrace areas. Many of the homes are designed by the "who's who" of Architects for Houston. Many have been renovated. There are large lots in there also. They were built from the 20's thru the 50's. Generally South Macgregor is nicer than North, with the exception of the Timbercrest addition on North Macgregor and also University Oaks. Many leaders within the African American community call the area home. Of course you have to like older homes, which personally I do, but there are a few new constructions if that is your thing.

As far as a vegan deal goes, you'll be fine.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:19 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,666 times
Quote:
Why ask why? Is it an offense to have a preference? We all have a comfort level. I ask for what I want and hope I'll get it. No shame...no blame or judgment...it is what it is. BUT if you need answers...I'm hoping to replicate a lifestyle that I and my family are accustom to. If this is offensive, I guess the question IS - WHY?

The reason hiphoplaw wants to stay in a black community is because blacks are universally disliked by many regardless of their achievements. In addition, many people feel comfortable among people looking similiar to them.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:53 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,361 times
Can't blame somebody who wants to live amongst their people. The worst thing this country ever did was to force people to live amongst each other against their will. I think they should if they want to, but shouldn't necessarily have to. Still something to be said for "Free Will" and there are many cultural differences that are simply too much to overcome for many people.

With that said, the area you are looking for is Sugar Land. Upscale community, racially diverse, home to Houston's wealthiest cluster of African Americans. It is also where the majority of Houston's Professional Athletes choose to reside.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:37 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
If you want newer construction, Missouri City has many middle class and predominately African-American communities.

I would move into the attendance zones of Elkins HS or Dulles HS if you have kids.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:50 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,999 times
Hey there. I am not African American, but I do live in an upscale neighborhood with many African Americans. In fact there is a famous professional football player (African American) right across the street from us. Everyone here is very friendly. If you are interested in some information about the neighborhood, please send me a message. ~K~

Old 01-13-2007, 05:22 PM

61 posts, read 351,390 times
Why is it when blacks request racial specific information, there is a problem whereby mixed race or multi-ethnicity is percieved as the only solution. If you would do a simply search of this forum, you will find countless requests for hispanics, jewish, asians, etc .... And please don't mention religion or sexual preference, which to me is personal matter.

Just because one ask for information related to their own ethnicity does not make them anti-others. Geezzzz

Old 01-13-2007, 06:03 PM

61 posts, read 351,390 times
Quote:

Also, I know TX is a big cattle state, but we are vegans who eat out a great deal, will we survive or will I need a personal chef?
There are many vegan restarants in Houston. The two that come to mind: Ziggy's and Pepper Tree. Me and the wife love those two. But here is a website: http://www.b4-u-eat.com

But, judging from your posts, you already got some preconceived ideas about Houston anyways, so you will probably have to work it out with facts and information. But here is some tidbits

Riverside Terrace and MacGregor is the place for you with your budget. Blacks have lived there well before the intergration. Too, Houston has many successful Blacks. I guess what others were trying to imply is that your budget is matched and exceeded by many other Blacks in Houston who choose to live in other areas of town. Which is not uncommon for NYC, Chicago, Baltimore, or even the great Atlanta, uhmmmmm.

Yes Tx is a BIG CATTLE state, but know that Tx is a BIG STATE. For instance, El Paso, Tx is closer to San Diego, Ca than it is to Houston. Therefore, being from Houston I know little about what goes on there and I know more ppl from Louisiana (excluding New Orleaniens).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston