Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 15,026 times

Advertisements

Since I feel you are being kind of out of line with your borderline racism I will answer your question in terms you can understand... No, there is no upscale African-American neighborhoods in Houston for you. There are MANY "downscale" African-American neighborhoods which I think if you can fit in there nicely with your personal chefs and Dynamic New Wealth Strategies you plan on contributing to our city's prosperity. Do us all a favor HipHO and find your duty calling in another city. We have enough problems.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 7,860 times
Default Miscommunication

I think what hiphoplaw is saying is that, it would be nice to move to an area, where he could create a base of friends and family, that would make acclamation a little easier. I moved to Colorado in 2004 and I had no family or friends and had a difficult time finding a support community, partially, because I was (am) not around people that look like me. Of course, many times people who are not in the minority, do not understand, because they feel a little safer and universal.

I challenge you to read a book, and I guarantee that you will have a new understanding of why many minorities (mostly black) view life and acclamation to society differently. (Growing Up Black in the Red)

Old 01-13-2007, 09:45 PM

627 posts, read 1,622,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opstevenson View Post
I think what hiphoplaw is saying is that, it would be nice to move to an area, where he could create a base of friends and family, that would make acclamation a little easier. I moved to Colorado in 2004 and I had no family or friends and had a difficult time finding a support community, partially, because I was (am) not around people that look like me. Of course, many times people who are not in the minority, do not understand, because they feel a little safer and universal.

I challenge you to read a book, and I guarantee that you will have a new understanding of why many minorities (mostly black) view life and acclamation to society differently. (Growing Up Black in the Red)
I don't think VCU above has a problem with all blacks, but blacks that have an attitude. An attitude can include "look at me, I'm all that" or "I am not doing that" and Hiphop seems to have the former.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:23 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
For what you're looking for, I'm not sure that you'll find equivalents to what you mention in Atlanta, MD, etc. But, check out some of the Houston neighborhoods previously mentioned... I also think you'll do better off as far as vegan and organic choices living in the city as opposed to the burbs. Since we've moved to the burbs, I've had to go back into the city to find some of the specialty organics.

As far as the make up of the burbs mentioned (Sugar Land & Missouri City), neither is predominantly black with the exception of the far east portion of Missouri City. But from what I know, that area is not as nice as the western portion of Missouri City.

From City-data.com stats:

Races in Sugar Land:
White Non-Hispanic (60.8%)
Chinese (10.1%)
Hispanic (8.0%)
Asian Indian (6.8%)
Black (5.2%)
Two or more races (2.4%)
Other race (2.3%)
Other Asian (2.3%)

Races in Missouri City:
White Non-Hispanic (38.6%)
Black (38.3%)
Hispanic (10.9%)
Other race (4.5%)
Asian Indian (3.7%)
Chinese (2.8%)
Two or more races (2.1%)
Filipino (1.8%)
Vietnamese (1.2%)
Other Asian (0.9%)
Vietnamese (2.0%)

But it differs greatly by Missouri City zip code --
77459 (west Missouri City)
White population: 20,139
Black population: 6,368
Asian population: 4,693

77489 (east Missouri City)
White population: 3,745
Black population: 25,773
Asian population: 853

Old 01-13-2007, 10:45 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
I personally hope that the area between 610 and 288 along Beltway 8 expands - It could potentially become another middle class area. The issues include the proximity to several run-down neighborhoods and the "not-too-hot" zoned schools (namely Worthing HS and Sterling HS).

Old 01-14-2007, 09:35 AM

61 posts, read 351,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I personally hope that the area between 610 and 288 along Beltway 8 expands - It could potentially become another middle class area. The issues include the proximity to several run-down neighborhoods and the "not-too-hot" zoned schools (namely Worthing HS and Sterling HS).
The original question was not middle-class, but upper to wealthy middle class. Heck, Houston has the largest Black middle-classes in America. What HipHopLaw wanted was "Upscale African-American Community" with roughly half-million dollar budget which Houston does too have. If he or she requested only Black middle-class, heck we could have run the gamut from Missouri City to Northshore back over to Third Ward then down to Southern Harris-Northern Brazoria County (and many others). But that aint what was requested.

Even though the Riverside Terrace and MacGregor area does fit the description for HipHopLaw's budget constraints, most ppl who live in that area ship their children to private schools. The public schools in that area have a lot to be desired.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 19,660 times
Default HipHopLaw...

Imagine what this would look like...

I am looking to move into the Philadelphia area. We are mainly upper class and have comfort level that I am used to, therefore, I am looking for a predominately WHITE neighborhood, if you know what I mean. My family has grown accustomed to a style of living and would much rather be around people of my own kind, rather than living in a racially mixed area.

There have been many people lost their jobs and careers for a lot less than this Hip Hop. And you wonder why racism lives on stronger than ever.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:54 PM

504 posts, read 1,764,396 times
I am going to order growing up black in the red.
To answer a question what it means to me to live in a mixed neighborhood.
We all seem to have something in common most of our houses are pretty much the same built around 1955 and in good repair, and we care deeply for this country.
The mix I talk about is the people that live here, and I will start on the corner, two elderly white ladies, a small white family, a Latino family with varying shades of skin, and language. Next to them is a multigenerational Cuban family, three generations, a house with 2 white kids, one Latino, college kids. One elderly white lady, One Puerto Rican wife and Jewish husband and child. Cuban man and his part African American son and wife. A Puerto Rican couple, A white couple, A white family, A Latino family, Turn the corner, an elderly white man, an elderly Cuban family , A Black father, white Mom and kids, white family, white lady, Black family, elderly white couple, elderly Cuban couple, two fixer uppers, white family with black stepchildren, cross the street, ready for this, eleven grandchildren ranging from ebony to blond all living in the same house, grandparents are Puerto Rican and one mother is white. Then here I am mean red headed white lady. This is not all but you get the picture, the languages are all Latino and English, very little Ebonics except with the teenage kids teasing me. My daughter is part African American.

I need help with finding Growing up Black in the Red. I can find growing up Black, need author or more info. Thanks

Last edited by alexander59; 01-14-2007 at 01:12 PM..

Old 02-09-2007, 06:15 PM

154 posts, read 605,817 times
[quote=houstonman;274727]The original question was not middle-class, but upper to wealthy middle class. Heck, Houston has the largest Black middle-classes in America... QUOTE]

That is quite false.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Can't blame somebody who wants to live amongst their people. The worst thing this country ever did was to force people to live amongst each other against their will. I think they should if they want to, but shouldn't necessarily have to. Still something to be said for "Free Will" and there are many cultural differences that are simply too much to overcome for many people.

With that said, the area you are looking for is Sugar Land. Upscale community, racially diverse, home to Houston's wealthiest cluster of African Americans. It is also where the majority of Houston's Professional Athletes choose to reside.
Can't forget about Third Ward near the bayou (forgot which one). It is close to 288, though. Many large houses, predominately black, and close to 288.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston