Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:39 PM

19 posts, read 78,748 times

Advertisements

Since our increase of population due to the Katrina disaster, unfortunately crime in the South and Southwest part of Houston has risen dramatically. Like JJP had mentioned; it's hard to go by what's in the news.

I personally use a tool for crime reports on my website that doesn't provide exact crimes (that would be scary to anyone). Rather, it gauges areas based on indexes and national crime averages.

Feel free to take a look:
http://www.myhomehouston.com/wrapper...e_Reports.html

Champions Area
This area has a nice mix of older prestigious homes and new construction scattered around as well. The schools (Klein - CyFair) have had a great reputation in the Houston area for performing quite well in academics. If anyone is interested, I can run actual graduation rates, attendance, etc. for districts using tools I have available.

Houston is a big city; be sure you are first certain with where you would like to live. Tour the areas on your off days or if you are from out of town, take a visit to our museums and parks, while stopping buy and cruising the parts of town you are interested in during different times of the day (particularly lunch time - *gasp*).

In the end, since it's free when buying a home, using the services of a Realtor are invaluable and can provide insight on particular areas that you will surely be thank for later.

Steve Castaneda

Last edited by Yac; 01-15-2007 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 02:22 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,773,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
JJP:

Why you dislike Willowbrook, I am considering to buy a house around that area.
There are some nice neighborhoods around Willowbrook.

What I disliked were some of the large roads to the east of the area (such as 1960) because they looked really cluttered and ugly with billboards, parking lots... just basically a big eyesore.

There was nothing else that bad around the area. Just watch the zoning on the schools, some others here can help you with that.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:14 PM

1,334 posts, read 6,419,789 times
While I don't like the billboards either on FM 1960 or Louetta, I do prefer that part of town, it is somewhat safer with very low violent crime (some of the lowest in the Houston area). The Champions cluster is one of the most affluent areas of Houston. I also like the trees, and despite all of the development (ie. retail, etc) those neighborhoods are beautiful

House in Champions

The schools are excellent. I would buy in the Cy-Creek HS, Klein HS, Klein Collins HS or Klein Oak Zones (I wouldn't buy in Spring ISD or the Klein Forest zone).

Old 01-17-2007, 11:40 PM

5 posts, read 25,324 times
Default newinhouston

We moved from Wyomissing, PA to Champions Park this past November and I like the neighborhood a lot. 1960 sure is not pretty but the Champions neighborhoods off of it are their own world. It is very quiet, no traffic noise, many birds, I love pine trees (they remind me of my native country). Also you get a lot of house for your money. No cookie cutter houses or development feel. Whenever I go out and see other areas, I am glad we made the choice we did (haven't been to Sugar Land though).
Access to highways is good and all the essential shopping is close by and the Fiesta supermarket that I love (flavor is back in our food!). Parks/playgrounds nearby.
The main criteria for our choice were - safety, out of flood plains, reasonable commute to energy corridor, good schools, price and value ratio.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 PM

5 posts, read 25,324 times
Default newinhouston

I forgot to add under the criteria for our choice for Champions area - the trees! Really important for us personally.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:37 PM

4 posts, read 20,092 times
Default I was in your same boat

I would look in the neighborhoods of Champion, Greenwood and Ponderosa Pines. These are great neighborhoods. The homes are large and beautiful and the prices are excellent. Great elementary schools for small kids, great parks and quiet streets. I don't think you could go wrong in these neighborhoods. I just purchased in Ponderosa Pines right of the FM1960 and I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston