Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:06 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
If anything, I see people in Houston (and Texas in general) as being overly positive, almost annoyingly so.

People in other cities love their city but they also are quick to point out the problems. People in LA complain about the traffic and pollution all the time. People in New York complain about the noise and cost. People in Chicago complain about the wind and cold. People take the criticism, maybe using it to identify areas of needed improvement, but still love the city.
In Houston (and Texas in general) people seem to take it personal if someone points out the obvious problems with the place. Either the person is negative and "unfriendly" or some outsider that needs to be mocked (a "Yankee" or a intellectual snob).

Part of the reason is perhaps because people nationally have a negative view of Houston which makes the people overly defensive. Maybe it is also the whole Stepford Wives-like attitude so common in the burbs which (given Houston's overwhelming dominance of burbs over urbanity) seems more common in Houston as compared to other large cities.
Bingo!! That's right on the money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:18 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Yeah but when it is friggin cold up north it is 24/7 cold.
Ah, but it feels sooo good! You get to use the fireplace, have some wine, put on your favorite fuzzy slippers on those cold winter nights .... priceless!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:40 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_jane View Post
I can understand long time locals complaining about crime and congestion. The city has changed a lot and maybe they are nostalgic about the "good old days". Of course, that doesn't explain complaints about the weather! Maybe they would appreciate your insight having lived other places. Many problems are not unique to Houston but if you haven't lived elsewhere you wouldn't appreciate that.
Bingo! It took me living some other places as an adult to really appreciate Houston. A lot of long time locals have never lived anywhere else and think the grass is always greener. Little do they know it ain't!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
No, it's just that people who talk bad about Houston usually make one post, don't say anything remotely positive and expect people to take them seriously. I think Houstonians are actually more likely to give pro con posts than anyone else on this forum.
I totally agree! I wonder sometimes if we are all reading the same fora/posts...

Old 06-25-2008, 09:06 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
The reaction we get when we tell people we are moving there (we are in Chicago) is "Wow, no more winters!"
The reaction I get is "Wow, Houston? We know a (relative/friend) who moved down there (from Chi-area) and they really like it" Not, why in your "right" mind would you ever dream of moving to that backwater?
Quote:
Ah, but it feels sooo good! You get to use the fireplace, have some wine, put on your favorite fuzzy slippers on those cold winter nights .... priceless!
Quite interesting how our body thermostats vary so widely. The snow cold is fun through early January. Then it's, when the #ell will spring finally get here. Then most of spring is hi-jacked by the winds off lake Michigan. So in Rockford, Joliet, Kankakee its 60's-70's everything closer in is 40's-50's. June-Mid Oct is phenomonal in Chi-town, the rest of the year it's very inconsistent and mediocre at best. I also think as I become more of an "old" fart, I hate winter more and more. Is this the dreaded onset of Florizona Fever?!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:29 AM

200 posts, read 1,067,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The reaction I get is "Wow, Houston? We know a (relative/friend) who moved down there (from Chi-area) and they really like it" Not, why in your "right" mind would you ever dream of moving to that backwater?

Quite interesting how our body thermostats vary so widely. The snow cold is fun through early January. Then it's, when the #ell will spring finally get here. Then most of spring is hi-jacked by the winds off lake Michigan. So in Rockford, Joliet, Kankakee its 60's-70's everything closer in is 40's-50's. June-Mid Oct is phenomonal in Chi-town, the rest of the year it's very inconsistent and mediocre at best. I also think as I become more of an "old" fart, I hate winter more and more. Is this the dreaded onset of Florizona Fever?!
Age definitely plays a huge part in loving Houston. Nothing lets an old person down more than teens and young adults having too much fun. Also my joints seem to function better here. I missed those cracking sounds they make.

The heat keeps kids from playing on the streets - good for drivers and for staying out of trouble. How's that for positive thinking?

The idea of having a fireplace here is quite odd to me but it seem to be a nice-to-have and some people do use it. Maybe atleast once. A waste of space in my opinion

Old 06-25-2008, 09:48 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayato View Post

The idea of having a fireplace here is quite odd to me but it seem to be a nice-to-have and some people do use it. Maybe atleast once. A waste of space in my opinion
My husband loves having a fireplace here (I'll never understand that either.) When we use it in the winter, we usually have to turn on the AC. Oh well, it is fun for the kids.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:40 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
As for the fireplace comment, Houston has houses with fireplaces. You can use them on the cold and rainy months like January/February. Houston can dip into freezing temps but it doesn't last long at one time. It'll be cold for 4 days, then warm up, then be cold again before you know it ( only during the winter months).

Old 06-25-2008, 02:37 PM

564 posts, read 2,045,666 times
Weatherwise, my favorite month in Houston is December with March a close second. November, in general is very good, too. February can be a bit dreary, though, because we seem to have a lot more cloudy and chilly days in February relative to the rest of the year. It's not uncommon for it to be mostly cloudy if not completely cloudy for a couple of weeks straight in February, even if we don't get much in the way of rain. Kind of like Pacific NW weather, actually.

Least favorite month, weatherwise, is May. With June, July and August, I know it's going to be hot and I've settled into it by then, but May starts off with the lasting effects of late winter and spring weather and then abruptly shifts to HOT by about the second week. It takes me a couple of weeks to adjust.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:54 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post
...It's not uncommon for it to be mostly cloudy if not completely cloudy for a couple of weeks straight in February, even if we don't get much in the way of rain. Kind of like Pacific NW weather, actually.

We visited the north Oregon coast last year and said this on a couple of cold & wet February evenings this year. Except the difference was the Pac NW in October/November was still a bit colder and the wind had more bite... all when it was sunny. Like San Francisco on steroids, but with less fog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston