Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:49 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times

Advertisements

You should really check this out, it's a LOT of fun & I'm going this year
Houston CaribFest 2010

Old 06-23-2010, 11:32 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Joe King Carrasco tomorrow at Discovery Green!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:43 AM

258 posts, read 954,294 times
Wow @ CaribFest. I clicked on the website but had to close it out because the promotional video was showing some risqué (dancing - grinding) content that I didn't want to have to explain to HR haha. It looked like an outdoor booty club.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
I have definetly considered moving to Houston primarily due to the Economy, low cost of housing, and honestly the city seems so grand in terms of size. What has discouraged me, is it seems as though Houston is a boring place to live. It seems as though there are many outdoor activities to do, and Galveson with an hours drive away, but I always see people make post about Museums, and Nasa... What about an Amusement Park, Water Park, Theatres. I'm 21, and I love to go to clubs. Are there a diverse array of clubs? Are there outdoor concerts in the Spring and Summer? Also, are there places to go where you can shop outdoor, and walk around without a car... I know Houston is very car-dependent, but it would be nice to at least have a section of town that is live, and is not car-dependent...Please let me know, becasue I'm coming from Atlanta, and feel like we have more to offer in life besides just work, but all answers about Houston would greatly help!
Houston is the "ARMPIT" of America. Trust me, plenty of bars to get drunk in, plenty of restaurants to get fat in, plenty of malls to blow money in but not one decent natural attraction for at least a 2-4 hour drive (Hill Country) and come to think of it the hill country isn't all that great.

My suggestion is "GO WEST" toward Colorado and Arizona, good economies, vibrant and healthy people and lots of outdoor activities to keep you young. DON'T MOVE TO HOUSTON!!! This place is a dump of the first order, more whorehouses than fast food joints, more houses of worship than are at all necessary, but that might be due to the fact that many are miserable and looking for pick-me-ups for their souls, I guess I can see the need for a lot of worship joints here, it is a completely awful place to live. I hope this post helps others in bypassing Houston at all costs, do not bring your children here, do not educate them here, the priority is on building temples for schools and yet the schools don't teach much of anything, if you know what I mean. It's all about the construction contracts, who cares if the kids actually learn anything. Food for thought people.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:27 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
look who's back^^^^

Old 01-28-2012, 07:13 PM

5 posts, read 12,056 times
This list ought to cheer you up, Steve. Houston isn't all bad. In fact, most cities would love to be Houston right now. BTW, that post of yours is truly one of the most idiotic posts I have ever read on the internet in 10 years. Whorehouses? Are you kidding? I think Houston will be just fine without your endorsement. In fact, the day morons like you start liking Houston is the day I would start to worry that something is really wrong with Houston.

Houston economy fastest growing in North America - Chronicle

Houston #1 city for manufacturing - Forbes

Houston #2 U.S. city for young adults starting career

The Next Big Boom Towns In The U.S. - Houston #5

Fuel Fix » Study: Houston among top 20 “green cities” in North America

The Best Cities for Jobs (Houston #3)

The Best Cities for Recent Grads

Fast Company Magazine names Houston the City of the Year for 2011

Houston ranks #11 in the world for "Cities of Opportunity"

When it comes to population growth, Houston is No. 1

Houston's M. D. Anderson Cancer Center ranked #1 again

Princeton Review survey ranks Rice University in Houston #1 for quality of life

Houston adds most jobs in U.S. - Houston Business Journal

Houston gained the most private-sector jobs in U.S. since recession - Houston Business Journal

West University Place ranks 1st in a study of quality of life in the southern US.

Houston shoppers most mobile-savvy - HBJ Dec 2011

America's Best Cities for Winter Travel - Yahoo! Travel

Population growth spurs Houston-area jobs surge - Houston Chronicle

National economist puts Houston on “cities to watch” list | Prime Property | a Chron.com blog

Trulia’s Real Estate Crystal Ball for 2012

Houston stomped Silicon Valley in 2011 tech job growth - Houston Business Journal

Last edited by Soapboxmom2; 01-28-2012 at 07:21 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 07:44 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonsteve View Post
Houston is the "ARMPIT" of America. Trust me, plenty of bars to get drunk in, plenty of restaurants to get fat in, plenty of malls to blow money in but not one decent natural attraction for at least a 2-4 hour drive (Hill Country) and come to think of it the hill country isn't all that great.

My suggestion is "GO WEST" toward Colorado and Arizona, good economies, vibrant and healthy people and lots of outdoor activities to keep you young. DON'T MOVE TO HOUSTON!!! This place is a dump of the first order, more whorehouses than fast food joints, more houses of worship than are at all necessary, but that might be due to the fact that many are miserable and looking for pick-me-ups for their souls, I guess I can see the need for a lot of worship joints here, it is a completely awful place to live. I hope this post helps others in bypassing Houston at all costs, do not bring your children here, do not educate them here, the priority is on building temples for schools and yet the schools don't teach much of anything, if you know what I mean. It's all about the construction contracts, who cares if the kids actually learn anything. Food for thought people.
Dude you've got a lot of work to do. Houston was the fastest growing city in the nation over the last decade. Apparently a million people didn't get your memo.

Houston named fastest-growing city in U.S.; here’s the top 25 | SmartPlanet

Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 AM

352 posts, read 777,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
I don't think Htown is boring, but it could definitely use a major theme park like Six Flags near by.
Houston had a six flags at one time. Dont know what happened to it

Old 01-31-2012, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapboxmom2 View Post
This list ought to cheer you up, Steve. Houston isn't all bad. In fact, most cities would love to be Houston right now. BTW, that post of yours is truly one of the most idiotic posts I have ever read on the internet in 10 years. Whorehouses? Are you kidding? I think Houston will be just fine without your endorsement. In fact, the day morons like you start liking Houston is the day I would start to worry that something is really wrong with Houston.

Houston economy fastest growing in North America - Chronicle

Houston #1 city for manufacturing - Forbes

Houston #2 U.S. city for young adults starting career

The Next Big Boom Towns In The U.S. - Houston #5

Fuel Fix » Study: Houston among top 20 “green cities” in North America

The Best Cities for Jobs (Houston #3)

The Best Cities for Recent Grads

Fast Company Magazine names Houston the City of the Year for 2011

Houston ranks #11 in the world for "Cities of Opportunity"

When it comes to population growth, Houston is No. 1

Houston's M. D. Anderson Cancer Center ranked #1 again

Princeton Review survey ranks Rice University in Houston #1 for quality of life

Houston adds most jobs in U.S. - Houston Business Journal

Houston gained the most private-sector jobs in U.S. since recession - Houston Business Journal

West University Place ranks 1st in a study of quality of life in the southern US.

Houston shoppers most mobile-savvy - HBJ Dec 2011

America's Best Cities for Winter Travel - Yahoo! Travel

Population growth spurs Houston-area jobs surge - Houston Chronicle

National economist puts Houston on “cities to watch” list | Prime Property | a Chron.com blog

Trulia’s Real Estate Crystal Ball for 2012

Houston stomped Silicon Valley in 2011 tech job growth - Houston Business Journal

I really can't argue with those statistics. A stellar economy isn't the only measure, but probably the most important.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:24 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonsteve View Post
Houston is the "ARMPIT" of America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
look who's back^^^^
There is probably a small handful of the same people on the web who go around to different websites posting this rubbish saying. I guess they think if they say it enough times in enough places, people will somehow believe them. Not sure what that's supposed to accomplish for them though, aside from getting negative attention for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston