Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:11 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,211 times

Advertisements

OducksFTW, regarding women in the south vs the midwest, I think you are missing my point...again. Yes, the women get married early down here and that was my point as to why you WON'T see as many of those "obnoxious" young people in Houston vs Chicago. In Chicago, you pretty much stay drunk and obnoxious throughout your 20's, 30's, 40's, heck even into your 50's. I'm not saying there are no obnoxious people down here, it's a "relative" comparison. In Chicago they are so heavily concentrated in one area. How many people really live in Midtown? Less then 1% of the Houston population. I mean come on. Montrose is different. Galleria area is older. Bellaire, West U, the Heights, all different then Midtown.

Trust me, take Houston out of the picture for the moment. Talk to anyone who has lived in NY and Chicago and ask "just" those people about Chicago and you will understand what I'm talking about. And yes, I lived in NY as well for two years.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Its hard for Houston to change because they rely on the private sector to do everything but anything the private sector tries gets ridiculously scaled down because of regulations and stupid parking requirements

Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 PM

561 posts, read 972,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
OducksFTW, regarding women in the south vs the midwest, I think you are missing my point...again. Yes, the women get married early down here and that was my point as to why you WON'T see as many of those "obnoxious" young people in Houston vs Chicago. In Chicago, you pretty much stay drunk and obnoxious throughout your 20's, 30's, 40's, heck even into your 50's. I'm not saying there are no obnoxious people down here, it's a "relative" comparison. In Chicago they are so heavily concentrated in one area. How many people really live in Midtown? Less then 1% of the Houston population. I mean come on. Montrose is different. Galleria area is older. Bellaire, West U, the Heights, all different then Midtown.

Trust me, take Houston out of the picture for the moment. Talk to anyone who has lived in NY and Chicago and ask "just" those people about Chicago and you will understand what I'm talking about. And yes, I lived in NY as well for two years.
I would rather take the rowdy single crowd over the mundane and plain married family crowd any day. But that might be because I myself am in the 20's crowd.

I have no problems with folks from Chicago, and I remember walking around downtown in the summer and can see beautiful folks right and left. With about 4 different weddings going on. Its a great city, and certainly better than Houston, for many months out of the year.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:18 PM

561 posts, read 972,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
OducksFTW, let me explain this better. With regards to football, or any sport really. I have no issue with obnoxious fans provided that they are justified in being so. For example, New England Patriots fans can be as cocky as they want, because they win. Same with Yankees fans and Miami Heat Fans. But teams that lose, fans should check themselves. For example, Cubs fans are obnoxious. Because one, they are not really Cubs fans, And two, they suck. Same thing with Big Ten football. Most of the teams suck and always suck. So when Michigan fans go nuts after finishing the season 6-6 and not even ranked but they just beat Purdue 20-17, you should not be obnoxious about your team. If Alabama fans win yet another NCAA title and are ranked in the top 10 pretty much every year for the last 5 decades, you can be obnoxious. In fact, most of the SEC can be obnoxious because they win titles. Florida, LSU, Bama all win titles and schools like Tennessee, South Carolina and Georgia are in the running most years. If I were to see Vanderbilt fans acting like d-bag Michigan fans, I would call them out as well.

Regarding baseball, when I lived in Chicago I supported the Sox. Why? They were a good team and had intelligent fans who understand baseball. I grew up a Cardinal fan. I never said anything about the Astros. Do you want to compare how many World Series the Cardinals have won the last 75 years compared to the Cubs? LOL. And case in point, even Cardinal fans, despite all the world series titles, are no where near as obnoxious as Cubs fans. But see, it's worse then that and it brings me back to my point. Those Michigan fans and Mich State, Ohio State and Wisconsin fans are not really fans. They are drunks. Same with the Cubs. My point about the SEC was that they are actually cheering on teams that win titles and play good football. Chicago has this phoniness about it, where it's not really about football or baseball or anything real, it's an excuse to get drunk.

BTW, here are the last 7 NCAA football champions, tell me if you see a pattern:

2012 Alabama
2011 Alabama
2010 Auburn
2009 Alabama
2008 Florida
2007 LSU
2006 Florida

When you pull off stuff like that, you can BE cocky. I can't stand the NE Patriots, but I respect them and the fans can talk all the trash they want until they stop winning. That's one of the perks to winning.
I agree the SEC is the league to beat, unless they get knocked off the hill they are the best. I was never doubting that.

But to me obnoxious is classless whether your team is winning or losing. If you're team is losing, you shouldn't try to overcompensate by proclaiming from the rooftops how you guys came out great, when truly, you guys came out mediocre.

And if you're winning, you must act like you've been there before. Not obnoxious and self righteous like most SEC fans. Oregon fans are not obnoxious heck we dont change if we win and lose, I was in Chicago watching the Oregon Stanford game in Chicago, and those folks were just the same before and after the loss. Its not that we dont care, its just not part of our very being, unlike most SEC fans, and according to you, Big Ten fans.

But I guess when people think of the SEC fanbase, class is usually the last thing they think of.

Thats the only reason why I take objection to you calling out Big Ten fans when SEC fans aren't much better. Regardless of winning and losing.

The Cubs are however, the lovable losers, they do what they can and no one really expects anything amazing from them.

But lets talk about Houston, when's the last time this city has had any proteam worth celebrating outside of the Dynamo?

Yet there are huge Rockets fans, Texans fans, Astros fans all over why because this is their home turf. And thats probably how the Big Ten fans see Chicago.

Go to Atlanta and you will see the same d-baggery from the SEC folks. Its they become more arrogant and pompous, in the heart of SEC country.

And its ok to be proud but there is a certain type of class and demeanor to really be respected.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:40 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
I agree the SEC is the league to beat, unless they get knocked off the hill they are the best. I was never doubting that.

But to me obnoxious is classless whether your team is winning or losing. If you're team is losing, you shouldn't try to overcompensate by proclaiming from the rooftops how you guys came out great, when truly, you guys came out mediocre.

And if you're winning, you must act like you've been there before. Not obnoxious and self righteous like most SEC fans. Oregon fans are not obnoxious heck we dont change if we win and lose, I was in Chicago watching the Oregon Stanford game in Chicago, and those folks were just the same before and after the loss. Its not that we dont care, its just not part of our very being, unlike most SEC fans, and according to you, Big Ten fans.

But I guess when people think of the SEC fanbase, class is usually the last thing they think of.

Thats the only reason why I take objection to you calling out Big Ten fans when SEC fans aren't much better. Regardless of winning and losing.

The Cubs are however, the lovable losers, they do what they can and no one really expects anything amazing from them.

But lets talk about Houston, when's the last time this city has had any proteam worth celebrating outside of the Dynamo?

Yet there are huge Rockets fans, Texans fans, Astros fans all over why because this is their home turf. And thats probably how the Big Ten fans see Chicago.

Go to Atlanta and you will see the same d-baggery from the SEC folks. Its they become more arrogant and pompous, in the heart of SEC country.

And its ok to be proud but there is a certain type of class and demeanor to really be respected.
Oh man, where to start. Let's start with Oregon sucks!!!!!!! Of course your timid and quiet, you guys suck! I'll give you credit for not acting like Big Ten fans who would go nuts while sucking at the same time. And watching an Oregon/Standford game in Chicago would be like me watching a Florida/Bama game in the bay area. It would be subdued as well. Different environment.

And my issue with the Cubs is not how bad they are (they are awful) but the fact that northsiders use Wrigley Field as a port-a-potty and basically know less about baseball then the Germans.

Regarding Houston sports, NOBODY down here follows the Astros. I have no idea where you are getting the idea there are huge Astros fans down here. Everyone I talk to down here basically tells me this state is about football, football and football. No one watches baseball. No one goes to the games. No one cares. As for the Rockets, I hardly hear anyone talking about them. Houston is not much of an NBA town either. Probably has to do with the poor quality of college basketball down here. Now football, different story. The Texans are a solid football team. Not on par with the Patriots or Packers, but solid. This is an expansion team after all. There is a huge football base down here and the Texans are as good as everyone else in the AFC sans the Patriots.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:19 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Not that this thread was off topic before it was foolishly continued, but debates about SEC vs Big 10 add nothing. Nice work guys. Closed

Last edited by Oildog; 03-15-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston