Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:51 PM

166 posts, read 899,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2 View Post
Hi.. just came across this thread and was not sure whether to post my concern on this same thread or a new one.. neways i am facing a similar situation with decision regarding a home.. an electric pole in the backyard.. so question to maya123 - did you finally buy the house and did u have any problem thereafter?? and question to others who can help - is it safe for kids to play in the backyard with the electric pole? and does it in anyway have any effect on the electrical appliances, computers etc in the house during storms.. appreciate your replies..

I can speak from experience of having a wooden electric pole in the back part of my backyard. It bothered me at first because you could see it when in the backyard, but after awhile you forget its even there because it doesn't pose a danger. Its perfectly safe and if it wasn't the developers and electricity providers would have some huge liabilities on their hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 02:50 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,137,772 times
This kind of pole is fine to have in your backyard, and is not a health risk:

This kind of pole is high voltage, and is not good to have near your home:

Old 07-10-2009, 03:22 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,267,441 times
Default I don't know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratfordspartans View Post
I can speak from experience of having a wooden electric pole in the back part of my backyard. It bothered me at first because you could see it when in the backyard, but after awhile you forget its even there because it doesn't pose a danger. Its perfectly safe and if it wasn't the developers and electricity providers would have some huge liabilities on their hands.
During Hurrican Ike, the entire block across the street from us was "blinking", and it turned out some of the trees where being whipped up into the lines, causing a huge Forth of July show each time. I'd say that was unsafe. Also, if a really bad storm comes by, it could topple over into someone's home.

Normally it's not a problem, but it is surely a potential danger. Plus if you have huge oak trees as we do around here, they get pruned pretty ugly by the city. Fortunately for our side of the neighborhood, the cables are burried, and we have large canopies in our backyards.

That was my 2 cents...

Old 07-10-2009, 05:34 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,137,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
During Hurrican Ike, the entire block across the street from us was "blinking", and it turned out some of the trees where being whipped up into the lines, causing a huge Forth of July show each time. I'd say that was unsafe. Also, if a really bad storm comes by, it could topple over into someone's home.

Normally it's not a problem, but it is surely a potential danger. Plus if you have huge oak trees as we do around here, they get pruned pretty ugly by the city. Fortunately for our side of the neighborhood, the cables are burried, and we have large canopies in our backyards.

That was my 2 cents...
Really not much different than having one of your "huge oak trees" toppling into your house. There is potential for everything to have a negative side.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:45 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
This kind of pole is fine to have in your backyard, and is not a health risk:

This kind of pole is high voltage, and is not good to have near your home:
Second pic looks like Fall Creek!HA! No offense Fall Creekers but it is true.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 AM

1 posts, read 9,389 times
hi ihafer,im damien frm n.ireland,was having some concerns about wooden pole with transformer box similar to the one thats in your photo thats at end of my garden.its surrounded by pine trees so its not that noticable but was worried about possible health risks as i have three young children.you seem to think thats its ok,how do you know?any more info wud be much appreciated.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:52 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr kerr View Post
hi ihafer,im damien frm n.ireland,was having some concerns about wooden pole with transformer box similar to the one thats in your photo thats at end of my garden.its surrounded by pine trees so its not that noticable but was worried about possible health risks as i have three young children.you seem to think thats its ok,how do you know?any more info wud be much appreciated.
All you have to do is research it on Google. You will find hours of info on it. It is something you have to make a personal choice with. Think abt it though. IN other areas of the country people do not have the wood poles and lines but actually have the lines attached to their homes. I would be worried abt the ones in the second picture.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:07 PM

460 posts, read 2,427,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
... IN other areas of the country people do not have the wood poles and lines but actually have the lines attached to their homes...
You don't have to go to other areas of the country to see homes with lines attached to the house and poles in backyards. Just visit almost any older (1960 ish) neighborhood in Houston, e.g. Meyerland area. Those power lines certainly didn't affect the price appreciation I experienced on the the home I recently sold there

Old 10-19-2011, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 8,267 times
My mother has a TVA line near her backyard. TVA came in and cut down the trees-said it was on their property-they have an easement. By the way, this is Tennessee.

Last edited by hjones512002; 10-19-2011 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Add info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston