Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 08:51 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
AND your point is?

Are you trying to say that Texas mis treats Mexicans? Do you live in Texas? Do you know how many Mexicans are illegal and living and working in Texas, receive FREE medical care on the backs of the citizens of Texas, do you know how many accidents illegals cause and then of course have no insurance to reimburse the people they were in the accident with??

I think Texas has done plenty to help Mexico, MORE then enough.
The system wont let me REP you anymore Lindsey but let me just post here to say "YOU tellum girl"

You have not posted anything yet that I even remotely disagree with.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:55 PM

I just want to let everyone know that our National Hero Joe Horn will be on Good Morning America tomorrow, Wednesday.

This will be his first interview. Maybe some of you who think he did wrong might see inside what he is all about.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I just want to let everyone know that our National Hero Joe Horn will be on Good Morning America tomorrow, Wednesday.

This will be his first interview. Maybe some of you who think he did wrong might see inside what he is all about.

Quannell told me he was a Western-thinkin', gun-totin' rodeo redneck cowboy.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:05 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Horn: 'I would never advocate anyone doing what I did' | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)

I don't think he even thinks of himself as any kind of "American hero." Maybe on Good Morning America he'll send a message for people to put some things in perspective.

Last edited by jfre81; 07-01-2008 at 09:13 PM..

Old 07-01-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Quannell told me he was a Western-thinkin', gun-totin' rodeo redneck cowboy.
Quannel would not know the difference between his ash and a hole in his head. His word is about as valuble as a dead illegal burgular.

Besides, any mother who would name their kid quannel can not be all that sharp either.

Next?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:08 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Actually, no, you never mentioned my comment in your replies. You would hope, but let's face it - had this have been two white American kids, not only would Joe Horn likely be in jail but he would also be facing wrongful death lawsuits.

So my opinion counts to you, right?

For some reason, I thought I did talk about this with you. Hmm. Sorry.

Of course your opinion counts.

As for the comments made by FutureTexan--

Those brave men--Davy Crockett, Sam Houston, et al, left Tennessee (short history lesson here, lest we forget those from right here in Texas, and North Carolina, South Carolina, Ireland, Alabama, Georgia, Denmark, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Arkansas, England, Scotland, Virginia, Massachusetts, New York, Illinois, Louisiana, and Ohio) to become Texans. We don't look at them as men from Tennessee, or anywhere else, that we should be down on our hands and knees thanking you for. We look at them as our founding fathers, as Texan as those they died for that were born here on this soil. We thank THEM, not you. Do Americans feel the need to thank England for those souls we know as Pilgrims? Were they not American as soon as their hearts were? Surely they were.

If your claim is truthful, and your great great Grandfather was indeed Robert Campbell, then he was a Texan and a brave man. However, I know a hundred folks right now that say the same thing about their ancestors. There are a lot of Campbells in the world, just as there are a lot of Martins, Thomases, Whites, Taylors...well, you get the picture.

And, may I say, that so far, I haven't seen one of us come to the Tennessee board and talk about how things need to be done there in your homeland. I'm sure I'd not lose much sleep tonight by asking you for the same respect.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
I was saying the wrong age sorry.
July 1, 2008, 9:49PM
EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Joe Horns Side:
"And a 61-year-old grandfather who, paralyzed by fear that afternoon on Nov. 14 last year, made a decision that has haunted him since, a decision he said he would take back if he could. "I would never advocate anyone doing what I did," Horn said from his attorney's west Houston home. "We are not geared for that."

In a calm, soft-spoken voice, Horn said Tuesday he was neither — not a man worthy of praise, nor one who merits scorn.
"I know what a hero is and that's not me," he said. "I'm a human being that was in a situation that I'd never been in before and I didn't want to die."

He said he started getting scared. He didn't know who the men were, nor if his neighbors were home and were in danger. Was his home the next target?
He went to get a shotgun he kept in a soft-sided leather case on the floorboard of his car.
"All I was thinking was, 'oh my God.' " he said. "You lose track of time. You don't ever think about that. You start thinking about all kinds of things. What if little Eddie was home alone next door? What if it was my home and I'm sleeping and I didn't even hear them come in? I was feeling helpless."

"I'm thinking if they go out the front door, I can't see them at all," he said. His plan was to look out the front door window to get a better angle of his neighbor's house. Seeing nothing he ventured outside.
He said he took one step off his front porch and saw nothing. "I felt great. I was so relieved that I didn't see anything," he said. "I thought it's over with."
Then he saw the men come around the corner and head into his front yard. Horn had his cell phone in his front shirt pocket while he handled the shotgun.
"It went from I'm glad it's all over to instant fear," he said.
He shouted the words he now regrets, "Move, you're dead." The men — about 10 feet and 13 feet from him — stopped immediately. They looked at one another and said nothing.
"There was no fear in their eyes," Horn said.
One of them, believed to be Torres, started to charge him, Horn said. He fired.
"There was no time to aim," Horn said. "To this day, I still don't know where I shot."
Horn said he turned slightly toward the right and fired toward the second man, Ortiz, who ran at a fast pace back in the direction of his neighbor's house. Torres remained in his yard and was walking back toward Horn. He fired a third shot.
Horn didn't think he had struck either one.
"I went inside because the guy (Ortiz) disappeared," Horn said. "I thought he was behind the house. That's why I was desperate for the police to get there."
A police car came to a screeching halt in front of his house. An officer drew his gun and ordered him "on the ground."
Horn, who still had his cell phone to his ear, dropped to the ground face first and was handcuffed."

During the ensuing commotion, Horn said he was numb. He was eventually allowed to sit up and saw one of the men on the ground across the street.
"I thought I scared him enough to fall to the ground," Horn said.
It wasn't until he overheard one officer explain to another that "there were two burglars and this man just killed them" that he realized the two men were dead.
The moment was surreal.
"It was like nothing I've ever felt. It was like it wasn't really happening. Just numb."

Horn: 'I would never advocate anyone doing what I did' | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)

Old 07-01-2008, 10:04 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
Again, If not for the Tennessee Volunteers, You'd all be mexicans.

I've said my piece, I'm out.
Whatever. Davy Crockett didn't die swinging his rifle like a club. He was summarily executed while trying to sneak out the back wearing women's clothes.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:58 PM

30 posts, read 159,457 times
Maybe this would be something for some people to ponder: What about some families out there, whether there are 1 or 2 parents who have a teminally ill child and their medical insurance has capped off and/or they cannot take any more FMLA leave from work and need to quit their jobs to take care of their child, and they go to the state for help and they are turned down or put on a waiting list because those whom are here illegally are getting the state help, I don't think that is fair. I am not dening them help at all, I just feel that come in like all our ancestors did, the checked in at the door, got a respectable job (and one that is on the books), and for crying out loud please learn our language and then if something happens go for all the help you need.
As for Mr. Horn, I must say that I don't blame him, I would have done the same thing in his shoes at the moment, although if I had a moment to think about it I would have rather seen him shoot them in the leg or foot, somewhere to temporary disable them, til our slowest in blue cold get there to carry their sorry butts off to jail and hopefully extradited back to their own country with a boot up their *%$. But I am sure with how everything played out there was no moment to think clearly (i know I would not have). And after having 2, yes 2 teminally ill children, you know, I would be eternally grateful to my neighbor for protecting what little I had left wheather that would be my family or my material things.
Oh and one other thing, for those of you who don't live in Texas, do knock it until you have tried it, I have only been here a year and love it, these are the friendliest people I have ever met so caring and welcoming, you are no sooner here and you are treated like you are one of their family, but don't step on the toes of their "family".

Old 07-02-2008, 07:05 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Whatever. Davy Crockett didn't die swinging his rifle like a club. He was summarily executed while trying to sneak out the back wearing women's clothes.
For over one hundred and seventy years, scholars have been debating exactly Davy Crockett died at the Battle of the Alamo. Popular legend says he died swinging his riffle, Ole' Betsy, like a club. Some scholars have suggested that he was one of the first to be killed. Others, that he was one of a handful of survivors who were ultimately shot after being captured. Still others say that he was one of the first to fall. Which of these versions are correct?

The body (broken link) of evidence seems to support the notion that Crockett was one of a handful of defenders that the Mexican army captured. Santa Anna had ordered that no prisoners be taken, however, so he ordered that they be shot and bayonetted. While several eye witnesses reported that this was how Crockett had died, this theory was not confirmed until the diary of Lt. Jose Enrique de la Pena was first published in 1975. As a Mexican officer, we can expect that he had a better knowledge of Crockett's fate than most, so it seems likely that his version is accurate.

Interestingly, one of the very first books (broken link) written about the Battle of the Alamo says that this is how Crockett died. The same year that the Alamo fell, Richard Penn Smith wrote a book (broken link) called "Col. Crockett's Exploits and Adventures in Texas....Written by Himself." While much of the book (broken link) is fictitious and/or plagiarized, it does give an accurate narration of how Crockett was captured and eventually executed.

The idea that Davy had "gone down swinging 'ole Betsy" arose out of dissatisfaction with the idea that Crockett would allow himself to be captured. Crockett had been such a legendary figure in life, that many expected to remain legendary in death. Despite being inaccurate and based on no evidence of any kind, this is what has passed for history for many years. Since 1975, however, the true account of what happened has caught with the myth. The last movie (broken link) about the Alamo ended with the execution of Crockett. Even it embellishes slightly, however, by making it seem that he was the only survivor. Indeed, there were probably four or five others.

-------

Oh, and Don't forget... Mr. Sam Houston, " Mr. Texas " was the 7th Governor of Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston