Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 01:53 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Under the Texas Castle Doctrine law you would have to ge found guilty in a court of law before you could even be sued. But I'm sure it will be tested.
Thanks to tireless lawyers, there is no such thing as settled law. Never forget that.

Quote:
And I see that you live in the crime ridden Southwest Houston..
I guess "Captain Obvious" was already taken as a username.

I haven't even had a reason to shoot anyone either, and I've been here for a year and a half. In a sketchy apartment complex, no less. Can you believe that?

Old 07-02-2008, 01:57 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
This is the other little quibble I have with this, but not something I'm ready to call for Mr. Horn's head over.

The fact remains - he had shot two American sons of American mothers in the back as they were running from him, there would've been hell to pay. Even if he still got no-billed by the grand jury he'd have two civil lawsuits headed his way. *Double jeopardy* won't save you from that either. Ask O.J. Simpson.

Just because you get no billed doesn't mean charges can't be brought later with new evidence.

And if your no billed and no case is every brought back up then they can not sue under the castel law.

"Because homicide and murder have no statute of limitations. Under Texas law if a grand jury returns a “no-bill” (no indictment) a future district attorney would be prohibited from reopening the case unless there were new evidence. This protects people from being indicted by any politically ambitious but unscrupulous prosecutor like a Spitzer reopening a case for no reason other than notoriety and self promotion. Also, the “no-bill” will protect Mr. Horn from civil suits along with the new “castle doctrine” law that became effective last year. Source - Paleo Conservative, Free Republic"

Old 07-02-2008, 02:04 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Just because you get no billed doesn't mean charges can't be brought later with new evidence.

And if your no billed and no case is every brought back up then they can not sue under the castel law.

"Because homicide and murder have no statute of limitations. Under Texas law if a grand jury returns a “no-bill” (no indictment) a future district attorney would be prohibited from reopening the case unless there were new evidence. This protects people from being indicted by any politically ambitious but unscrupulous prosecutor like a Spitzer reopening a case for no reason other than notoriety and self promotion. Also, the “no-bill” will protect Mr. Horn from civil suits along with the new “castle doctrine” law that became effective last year. Source - Paleo Conservative, Free Republic"
Then it'd be a two-part job for those ambitious/unscrupulous prosecutors (ones that, here in Harris County, have been known to have such traits) - first get the grand jury finding overturned somehow (e.g. in appeals court) and upon successfully doing so, then the lawsuits come into play.

For the record I hope this does not happen to Mr. Horn.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:16 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,596,839 times
I don't remember saying anything at all that would make it right Mom2Feebs. I believe they make more than just tacos and hamburgers. What I am saying is that people are so against illegals but then again everyone and I mean everyone is quick to hire an illegal at least once for any service they provide. If you are so against it why hire them, wait is it the cheap labor they provide? Why don’t you fill in the blank__________?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
So that makes it right for illegals to be here? Because one of them can make me a taco or a hamburger at any given moment? I don't understand that argument.

I often wonder how much better services my special needs daughter uses, like ECI, would be if people who were here illegally didn't use them. It's very frustrating.

I'm also confused on the very definition. Doesn't "illegal" mean against the law? No wonder people want it called "undocumented". Pansy-a*s phrase for pansy-a*s people.

Not that anyone here is a pansy-a*s.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:23 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
I don't remember saying anything at all that would make it right Mom2Feebs. I believe they make more than just tacos and hamburgers. What I am saying is that people are so against illegals but then again everyone and I mean everyone is quick to hire an illegal at least once for any service they provide. If you are so against it why hire them, wait is it the cheap labor they provide? Why don’t you fill in the blank__________?
But I'm asking you--does that make it right?

Also, I realize illegals make more than tacos and hamburgers. I realize I'm generalizing, but you're the one that brought up restaurants....soooo...okay, steaks and fish?

Old 07-02-2008, 08:37 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,596,839 times
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
But I'm asking you--does that make it right?

Also, I realize illegals make more than tacos and hamburgers. I realize I'm generalizing, but you're the one that brought up restaurants....soooo...okay, steaks and fish?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:07 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Yea shame on them for breaking a federal law and sneaking over the border.
I know I said I was done on this forum but I have to ask a question to all of those that hate illegals...

Does anyone find it really hypocritical that Mexicans cross the border into California, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, ect, ect, ect and are here illegally and people think they are the scum of the earth because they came into the country illegally, Yet Cubans are allowed to come to the U.S. legally so long as they can get to dry land without being caught ?

The wet feet, dry feet policy (sometimes called the wet-foot, dry-foot policy) is the name given to a consequence of the 1995 revision of the Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966 that says, essentially, that anyone who fled Cuba and got into the United States would be allowed to pursue residency a year later. After talks with the Cuban government, the Clinton administration came to an agreement with Cuba that it would stop admitting people found at sea. Since then, in what has become known as the "wet feet, dry feet" policy, a Cuban caught on the waters between the two nations (i.e., with "wet feet") would summarily be sent home or to a third country. One who makes it to shore ("dry feet") gets a chance to remain in the United States, and later would qualify for expedited "legal permanent resident" status and U.S. citizenship.

Why does that not count for Mexicans ?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:28 PM

213 posts, read 336,839 times
If you want to live here, come here legally. If you come here, obey our laws. Otherwise, those of us who are law-abiding AMERICANS will not lay down and let you harm our family or steal our property. You're going down. And that goes for all of you so-called Americans who hate America and her people and everything we stand for. It's time to take America back from the bleeding heart liberals and the illegals and if you don't like it, I'm sure Canada will welcome you with open arms. God bless Texas and God bless America. Enough said.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaS1 View Post
It's time to take America back from the bleeding heart liberals and the illegals and if you don't like it, I'm sure Canada will welcome you with open arms. God bless Texas and God bless America. Enough said.
I'm waiting for " God Bless America " to start playing on my speakers and a flag to drop behind my monitor...

Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 PM

213 posts, read 336,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
I'm waiting for " God Bless America " to start playing on my speakers and a flag to drop behind my monitor...

You should be so lucky...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston